Madden 13 - General Thoughts - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Computer Games

Old 04.09.2012, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Default Madden 13 - General Thoughts

I can't say I was excited playing Madden for the 1st time last night. I switched off the PS3 with a relief that I didn't exchange Madden 12 on MusicMagpie last month.

To me Madden 13 has too many gimmicks. I was a big offline franchise player, I enjoyed building teams and fantasy drafting teams, I like to vary my teams and players I pick, sometimes even starting with a cupcake team of known players that I have fantasy drafted and build. It varied a lot, but now the fantasy draft has died and coach career mode has added gimmicks, rather than picking a roster and playing ball.

I am sure I will get to enjoy it over time, but this is the first Madden release which has left me saying "meh" when asked how was it.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are impressive and player movements seem more free but something isn't quite right at the moment. But I push on and see if I can learn to love it, or just simply go back to Madden 12 and keep rocking the Fantasy Rosters, minus the new draftees.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 04.09.2012, 02:44 PM
All Pro

Madden 13 is so much better. The gameplay just seems more lifelike and the added options in career mode are brilliant.

Only problem is no Sean Payton or Vilma.
Old 04.09.2012, 02:53 PM
Team Captain

I'm still updecided on it. I could go on for ages about it but a quick summary for me.

Gameplay

I like what the infinity engine has done to the running game. I used to hate running, found it really boring. Now it feels like anything can happen. Same with passing, but to a lesser extent.

Is this infinity engine all it's cracked up to be? No way! The game looks worse than last year in my opinion and the best I've heard some of the hits described is the players look like the guy of the Mr Soft advert!! Very True!

Passing is different, can't make my mind up whether it's better or worse yet. You certainly have to be more careful. DB's don't drop many these days (unless you play with the Bucs).

Connected Careers

I see what they've tried to do with this, but I'm kinda with the guy above. I liked signing players, picking my team and playing a game. The XP on the players I think is a good idea. The more you play them, the more they earn. Bravo! Good idea.

The coaches XP points though. I'm not a big fan of them. I've been crying out for being able to practice as your team in Online Franchise. They finally do it, but they ruin it by making it scenario based (which get very boring very quickly). I just want to be able to run a few plays in a practice arena with my online team. Is that so hard?

Instead I have to do scenario's that gain me XP points as a coach which go on pointless boost packages. Not something I'm keen on.

Then you get into the detail, like the scheme's. Players need to fit your scheme. Well that's fine. I understand that. But it almost renders the attributes useless. I used to enjoy seeing who had good attributes that weren't necesarilly represented in their overall. Now it seems the focus is getting someone with the relevant scheme experience to your team (and good luck ifyou want to change your scheme without dropping your team overall).

It's summed up by the Free Agents screen not even allowing you access to the players individual attributes. That is really poor!

Put all that in with the bugs that have been found so far, I'm not overly impressed.

I'll play it, becuase I love playing American Football games, but do I think it;s really any better than Madden 12? No not really. Different, not better though.
Old 04.09.2012, 02:59 PM
All Pro

The change to the franchise mode has been a long time coming in my opinion, I don't believe it has been right since the ps2/xbox days. I used to enjoy doing exactly as you have mentioned and setting up a team of rubbish current players and building up through the seasons but for whatever reason they have never seemed to replicate the modes depth on the current generation of systems so I have found myself drifting away from using franchise. So I totally welcome the connected careers mode, it uses a lot of features from head coach and is easily the deepest franchise type thing they have created in madden, a lot of the gimmicks actually add to the mode. However I do agree it would be better to have a fantasy draft option available as well and it may make a return next season. If you are a franchise fan they I would definitely encourage you to give ccm a good go, though perhaps its best to wait until they patch some of the bugs first
Old 04.09.2012, 03:54 PM
All Pro

Pretty much echo everyone elses thoughts, also you cannot edit the appearance of your player, how ridiculous. Also i get infuriated with some of the linebackers abilities in coverage, when linebackers are following Jimmy Graham like a shadow then out jumping him to swat the ball, HOW? The infinity engine has improved some aspects but other parts are shocking, when the RB on the draw play ploughs straight into the back of the centre for a loss, it does infuriate me. On the balance i think i'd rather still have 12.
Old 04.09.2012, 03:56 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglalakev View Post
The change to the franchise mode has been a long time coming in my opinion, I don't believe it has been right since the ps2/xbox days.
Interesting to see someone say this. I was a big Madden fan and used to buy the new game every year. But I found that after it moved to the XBox 360/PS3 whilst the game "looked" better, it was less fun to play and the Franchise mode in particular seemed to go downhill. I used to like building a franchise and then, if it became pretty much unbeatable, changing for one of the worst teams in the league. But with Madden 2009 I remember you were pretty much stuck with one team.

Training camp in Madden 2005-2007 was really enjoyable and again this seemed to vanish.

I haven't bought one since 2009. Are any of them worth getting?
Old 04.09.2012, 04:45 PM
Hall of Fame

One bug I have noticed is on my depth chart it keeps swapping my Kicker and Punter around. So Dan Carpenter is kicking 28 yard punts whilst Brandon Fields is knocking over (fair play to him) 38yd FGs
Old 04.09.2012, 05:21 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
One bug I have noticed is on my depth chart it keeps swapping my Kicker and Punter around. So Dan Carpenter is kicking 28 yard punts whilst Brandon Fields is knocking over (fair play to him) 38yd FGs
Preseason or regular season, I know its a preseason bug, my created RB was given a shot returning punts in his one ccm match so far but he other team had their kicker knocking it a max ten yards down the field, bizarre. It's a known bug. Not heard of it carrying over into te regular season.
Old 04.09.2012, 05:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Just tell me 1 thing are opposing players still able to run backward 10-15 yrds yet still throw 30yrd rocket spirals on the money?drives me crazy online that!
Old 04.09.2012, 05:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Interesting to see someone say this. I was a big Madden fan and used to buy the new game every year. But I found that after it moved to the XBox 360/PS3 whilst the game "looked" better, it was less fun to play and the Franchise mode in particular seemed to go downhill. I used to like building a franchise and then, if it became pretty much unbeatable, changing for one of the worst teams in the league. But with Madden 2009 I remember you were pretty much stuck with one team.

Training camp in Madden 2005-2007 was really enjoyable and again this seemed to vanish.

I haven't bought one since 2009. Are any of them worth getting?
The gameplay in the last couple of years is definitely better, though like a couple of guys on here have already mentioned they have mainly polished over old faults and reduced their impact rather than rebuilding the game. Even so I a enjoying the gameplay and being amused at some very quirky graphics.
In terms of the franchise/ccm mode this is by far the deepest version of it they have created, however the jury would still be out on how well it plays right now, there are an awful lot of known bugs and for now they seem keen on trying to fix them whch makes a nice change. They have totally rebuilt this mode so it's not some polish with the same base, because they rebuilt it they have removed some features that have always been a staple (fantasy draft, editing players) and the CCM chief has talked about them on twitter, they are looking at fantasy draft for next year though it's not a sure thng. They have also said they are looking at introducing some editing for this season via patch but if it happens it wont be the full edit from past seasons. In a few weeks once they have fixed some faults it might be worth renting for a few days to see if you like that mode

Tags
draft , franchise , madden , ps3 , xbox