Dumervil - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Denver Broncos

Old 08.03.2013, 07:46 PM
All Pro

Default Dumervil

Bit quiet on here, so thought I'd make a new thread!

Anyone seen the rumours circling that if Dumervil doesn't accept a pay cut he will be traded?

Good move? Bad move?
Old 12.03.2013, 09:34 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBronco View Post
Bit quiet on here, so thought I'd make a new thread!

Anyone seen the rumours circling that if Dumervil doesn't accept a pay cut he will be traded?

Good move? Bad move?

I can see him taking a cut. There might be some teams out there willing to take him in, but if he stays with the Broncos he has a legitimate shot at a title next year, and possibly the year after. The partnership he has with Miller is good, and he won't get that connection anywhere else.

I can see where Elway / Fox are coming from though - Derek Wolfe was good as a rookie last year, and will be the DE in future. Basically, they want to see if Dumervil will "take on for the team" and free up some cap space, or whether he thinks he is above the team, in which case Wolfe will take his place.

If he goes, he'll of course he missed massively, and I wonder how it will affect Millers performance (probably not a lot, but who knows?), but there are other guys on less money who can fill his spot.
Old 12.03.2013, 09:57 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix492 View Post
I can see him taking a cut. There might be some teams out there willing to take him in, but if he stays with the Broncos he has a legitimate shot at a title next year, and possibly the year after. The partnership he has with Miller is good, and he won't get that connection anywhere else.

I can see where Elway / Fox are coming from though - Derek Wolfe was good as a rookie last year, and will be the DE in future. Basically, they want to see if Dumervil will "take on for the team" and free up some cap space, or whether he thinks he is above the team, in which case Wolfe will take his place.

If he goes, he'll of course he missed massively, and I wonder how it will affect Millers performance (probably not a lot, but who knows?), but there are other guys on less money who can fill his spot.
Off the back of a ProBowl (which means squat) and an 11 sack (again, irrelevant to me) year? Not a chance. He'd be getting c. $8m in the open market and he knows it.

His relationship with Von? As in the one that has Doom in single protection the whole time, yet the one he fails to exploit? His superlative year was when he was in the 3-4. He knows that, we all do.

Wolfe was good, but why do you see him as a DE? I see the opposite. Probably 10lbs shy of ideal weight, he has the ability to collapse the pocket. With Von coming in off the egde, we needed that player to stop the QB stepping up. Wolfe is that man and had more success playing that role than at DE. Wolfe will not play at RE, taking Dooms spot. Hunter has that, its his to lose.

And unless teams start kicking the LT out to help against Von, it won't affect his performance at all.
Old 12.03.2013, 01:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr102 View Post
Off the back of a ProBowl (which means squat) and an 11 sack (again, irrelevant to me) year? Not a chance. He'd be getting c. $8m in the open market and he knows it.

His relationship with Von? As in the one that has Doom in single protection the whole time, yet the one he fails to exploit? His superlative year was when he was in the 3-4. He knows that, we all do.

Wolfe was good, but why do you see him as a DE? I see the opposite. Probably 10lbs shy of ideal weight, he has the ability to collapse the pocket. With Von coming in off the egde, we needed that player to stop the QB stepping up. Wolfe is that man and had more success playing that role than at DE. Wolfe will not play at RE, taking Dooms spot. Hunter has that, its his to lose.

And unless teams start kicking the LT out to help against Von, it won't affect his performance at all.
I agree with everything you said. Wolfe is a DT we have needed, he doesn't have the quickness for the outside at the moment but does have the speed and strength to play effectively as a 3 down DT.

It's a test to see if Dumervil will take one for the team. He is still an effective pass rusher but with a scheme change with his hand in the dirt more he hasn't been as effective as he can be. He knows if he is wanted by an established 3-4 team his stats and paycheck will improve, which makes sense.

Fox and Elway simply don't need him in the way that he is best as an athlete so if he does work then its of sound business sense from both parties. It will be a shame to see him go, he has given a lot at Denver and has been a fan favorite, good luck to him wherever he may play his football.