Visiting New York to see the Jets - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 27.06.2013, 04:20 PM
All Pro

Default Visiting New York to see the Jets

I'm lucky enough to be heading off to the states this summer, and will be in New York on September 8th to see our opening game against Tampa. I've been to New York before, but this will be my first time at Jetlife stadium!

I know a few of the regulars on here have been out to see the Jets before, so I would like to learn from your experiences. (and mistakes!)

Did anyone go tailgating? What is the best way to get the most from this experience?

How much money should I bring to keep my and my better half well fed and watered during the tailgate and game?

Is there anything to do after the game?

Just generally on the Jets or New York as a whole, any things you'd really recommend doing?

And just as importantly anything you did and you'd recommend not doing!

Cheers guys.
Old 30.06.2013, 09:39 AM
All Pro

Hey Tocheb,

I can strongly recommend going to tailgate joes. Last year it was 35 dollars for all you can eat and drink. Plenty of banter with all the other Jets fans there. That said it's also great to wander round and see all the other tailgates going on.

First time I went I did a lap of the outside so as not to miss anything (was the old meadowlands) and came across games and stuff that had been put on to keep all the little Jets entertained whilst their folks got pished.

If your taking a rucksack (to carry home your purchases from the flagship store inside the stadium) or the mrs takes a handbag you'll have to check these into a locker outside and collect afterwards. Straightforward enough....can't recall what the charge was.

The beer inside is a rip-off.

Time your toilet breaks well as its easy to miss the onfield action in a massive queue (same as most sports). Go to the exit door to avoid the queue and get mild heckles.

After the game I've only ever headed back into town and gone to a sports bar to watch the later game(s). Not sure there is anything on around the stadium.

The Gael is a Bears pub. Pool table and sound folk in there.
Jack Russell's is a Jets pub.
There's a list online somewhere.

Depending on when you're there there might be TNF on. I watched the Vikes Saints last year in a Vikes pub. Good crowd.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. Will be cool to be there for the Revis reaction!
Old 02.07.2013, 08:32 PM
All Pro

Thanks for the help man, much appreciated.
Old 06.07.2013, 05:49 PM
Pro Bowler

I think it was like $10 or $12 for a burger and a Pepsi when I went. Probably best to take about $40-$50 for food and drinks for you both (if you're only eating/drinking inside the stadium).

There isn't much to do after the game around the JetLife (though I went after we got battered 34-0 by San Fran, so people probably wanted to get home quickly). I just got the train back into Manhattan and met up with my Brother and Dad and did whatever for the rest of the day/night.

As for NYC itself, I would recommend going to a Yankees or a Mets game (even if you're not a fan of either or a fan of baseball). It's a really good day out and a traditional American thing to do. If you're into Hollister (I love that shop), then I would advise you visit either of the Hollister stores in Manhattan. They're a lot bigger than the ones I've been to over here, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper (jeans, for example, are about £55 here and $40 there).

Have a good time though mate! I'm well jealous! You'll have an awesome time!
Old 11.08.2013, 08:23 AM
Starter

Great info above. I paid for a tailgate with www.tailgatejoe.com which was very nice and good fun. You can see me in the #28 jersey in the drinking games on the Arizona video
Old 12.08.2013, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Default Tailgate Joe's

I can heartily recommend Tailgate Joe's.

I was there for the San Diego game last year (deflating experience that was after the Tennessee debacle) and the food is good. It was $40 then but it was the Xmas one, so I think they did something special.

The beer is typical Bud Light, Coors Light stuff. Not great in my opinion (I am a self-confessed beer snob), but it was ok.

The banter was great though. Talked to 2-3 guys from Long Island for a couple of hours.

I will be going back when me and my mate go see Jets Pats in October (more funnily, he is a Pats fan!!)

To get to the stadium, take the Meadowlands train, which you get from either Penn Station or Hoboken and change at Secaucus Junction (or at least the Hoboken one did). Costs about $20 (12 from Hoboken). Another great source of banter.

Have fun. I will watch on Gamepass and decry the Revis pick 6 Sanchez will inevitably throw.

Gavin.
Old 14.08.2013, 02:03 PM
Starter

May try and fit in a cheeky trip this year myself. Patriots game would be ideal, if I can raise the cash!! May see you guys at the Tailgate!!
Old 19.08.2013, 01:27 PM
All Pro

Guys, thanks for all the tips. Definitely going to hit up tailgate joes. It is a week today that we leave, now that all the organising is done, and I've stopped bleeding money, I'm starting to get very excited!

How long before kick off should I aim to get to the game to have a good tailgating experience?
Old 19.08.2013, 06:59 PM
Rookie

Tailgate Joe's starts at 10am for a 1pm kickoff. I got there about 10.30am and it was all good.
Old 28.08.2013, 11:32 AM
All Pro

I'm going to be there for week 1 and quite fancy Tailgate Joes - might be a daft question, but where is it?

Thanks