Who's Your Team And Why? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 01.02.2019, 08:25 PM
Team Captain

Default Who's Your Team And Why?

I'm already missing College Football so I thought I'd fill the void by seeing if I could get some more chat going on the College game.

I've followed it for a number of years and always been pretty neutral. As a Seahawks fan, when I first got into it I did look up the teams in the state of Washington; I don't like huskies so I preferred Washington State to Washington (And I'm a Gooner, so the red and white appealed ) but even though I kept an eye on Wazzu from time to time, I've never thought of them as my team.

From chatting on weekly game threads I have an idea who some other regulars support. Whether you're a big fan or not I'd be interested to read all responses about which college team, or teams, you follow and why.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.02.2019, 02:49 PM
MVP

Oregon Ducks, when I was watching games trying to find a team I watched a USC game because they were on my list and the other team was Oregon and I was blown away by how fun they were and how fast they played. Then watched a few more games and was hooked.
Old 02.02.2019, 08:23 PM
All Pro

Michigan Wolverines!

I started following college football around 2012, I'd been watching the NFL since 2008 and became more and more obsessed with football so needed more football in my life!

I didn't have any idea which team I wanted to support, initially flirted with Notre Dame, then a couple of SEC teams (Florida and LSU I think) then Clemson before settling on Michigan. The biggest appeals were the big house, the colours, the rivalry with OSU and the added bonus that Tom Brady went there! It's not been the most fun being a Michigan fan especially the few dodgy seasons of Brady Hoke, but we've had the glorious return of Jim Harbaugh, we're heading in the right direction but still can't get over the OSU hump, for now!

I also have a huge soft spot for UAB, I met their college basketball team when they were staying at the same hotel as me in Boston in 2014 and kept an eye on their progress from then on. I was genuinely gutted when the team folded, but thankfully they're back and absolutely delighted they got to a bowl this year!
Old 04.02.2019, 07:41 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic_matt View Post
I also have a huge soft spot for UAB, I met their college basketball team when they were staying at the same hotel as me in Boston in 2014 and kept an eye on their progress from then on. I was genuinely gutted when the team folded, but thankfully they're back and absolutely delighted they got to a bowl this year!
I like this I also didn't enjoy reading about them deciding to fold the football team. Was great to watch this season go so well and end with their FIRST EVER bowl win!

Nice that you settled on Michigan. Thought they'd turned a positive corner this season and couldn't believe how badly they blew it vs OSU this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
Oregon Ducks, when I was watching games trying to find a team I watched a USC game because they were on my list and the other team was Oregon and I was blown away by how fun they were and how fast they played. Then watched a few more games and was hooked.
This seems to have been a signature of Oregon football for a long time? Nice to know how it began, as I know from other threads your love for them hasn't gone away
Old 05.02.2019, 12:49 PM
All Pro

As a Dolphins fan, as I had travelled over to a few games and would do in the future, when I started following college football about 6/7 years ago I considered a team/venue I can get to/from Miami in a day - so college footy on Saturday and NFL on Sunday. This factored into my choosing the Gators originally (I didn't consider the U as they play in the same stadium as the Dolphins) and really liked the idea of one day getting to The Swamp (which eventually I did) - they get great crowds no matter how good or bad we are so that factored in also.
Old 06.02.2019, 12:11 PM
Hall of Fame

I've followed the draft for many years which inevitably led to watching college football more closely (especially since BT/ESPN got the rights), although not to the same extent as the NFL. I don't watch as many games these days as I did a few years back, but I like to follow along and catch the games that I can.

As far as a team/teams go I've struggled to truly settle on one if i'm honest. I don't devote enough time to a team to build a bond and lets face it there's plenty of choice! I've always been drawn to a few teams with history. Penn State and Pitt on the East Coast, and Stanford and Cal on the West Coast. Funnily enough teams that are right next door to one another!

The history and 'Linebacker U' drew me to Penn State. The history and guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald drew me to Pitt. As for Stanford and Cal, I visited California as a kid and really loved the Bay Area and Northern California. If I ever settle on just one team I expect it'll be one of these 4.

I keep half an eye on some of the 'smaller teams' in other conferences like North Texas and Bowling Green because I watched a lot of their games a few years back. BYU's stadium back drop is awesome so I guess they are 'my FBS team', their colours are good too.

As for the SEC (Along with Alabama one of them is in the mix each year so I might as well have a preference), I tend to root for Georgia. Again the history, and The Hedges at Athens, and the Uga the mascot lineage too. Plus they are another team I've watched a fair bit of over the years.
Old 11.02.2019, 10:32 PM
MVP

Ohio State Buckeyes. A friend went there and I visited once while on a trip to see the Steelers play in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Cool campus. No game that day but we snuck inside the stadium anyway. Over 100,000 seats, incredible.
Old 27.03.2019, 08:11 PM
Starter

Turns out my holiday to Miami in September is when the Hurricanes are playing at home against Central Michigan, so I'll catch that game and then who knows.
Old 29.03.2019, 04:39 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanPrior View Post
Turns out my holiday to Miami in September is when the Hurricanes are playing at home against Central Michigan, so I'll catch that game and then who knows.
Sounds good, Nathan! Do you follow either team already? Or is the plan go to the game and see who you prefer?
Old 31.03.2019, 04:48 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam66 View Post
Sounds good, Nathan! Do you follow either team already? Or is the plan go to the game and see who you prefer?
Just go to the game and see, would be a better spectacle as a neutral from experience.