2016 Season - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 17.10.2016, 08:41 AM
Pro

Great result.
O-line stood firm Zeke was class again not only running it but also his blocking. Dak looked assured and made great decisions I'm actually half glad of the interception as now it's gone and there is no added pressure. Williams stepped up again thought he played very well and has looked good after his mistake against the Giants. Cole Beasley is so consistent.

Very impressed with the D. 4 turnovers and David Irving and Barry church in particular thought they were quality. The whole defence seems to be playing a lot faster and with more concentration and also seem to be getting more lucky breaks.

This season has been great and I think even more so by the lack of expectation. Each week I think this is the week and it's not so just enjoying it while it lasts. Unlike last year going into the season full of expectations and being disappointed throughout.

The question won't go away though. Dak or Tony?
Sponsored Links
Old 17.10.2016, 09:24 AM
Team Captain

I think I might trade Romo and get a bunch of high draft picks, which could be used to improve the defense. Half of the teams out there would love to have Romo at QB despite the injuries, maybe it is time to cash in???
Old 17.10.2016, 09:28 AM
Hall of Fame

Some great points Tb.

I thought Dak looked like he was trying too hard after the first fumble, trying to 'make up for it' resulted in a few stray passes and the 2nd fumble. No surprise though that being under the spotlight finally unsettled him, I imagine the 'no interceptions' streak started to weigh on him somewhat. He came back strong though, and as you say now the streak is out of the way he should be able to relax a little. Apart from the odd tough drop the receiving corps made plays too.

It's funny what confidence can do for a D. Despite that silly face mask penalty by Durant (), and a little confusion with 12 men on the field penalties too, they looked more than solid. The Packers had a banged up RB though, and Rodgers lacking in confidence. Not ready to anoint the Cowboys D the new '00 Ravens but they certainly have exceeded expectations.

The point about expectations is a great one. No QB, a poor D, no one expected this. It's taken the pressure off the team too maybe.

Regarding Romo? He'll be back when fully fit. If Dak would have played the perfect game at Lambeau I'd have been unsure, but he had a wobble or two despite another impressive performance. That wobble is enough to 'justify' Romo's return (even if it's been beyond doubt it's 'his team' anyway). Romo struggle's or gets hurt and Dak will be waiting in the wings.

5-1 heading into the Bye Week, who'd a thought it!
Old 17.10.2016, 09:32 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan1971 View Post
I think I might trade Romo and get a bunch of high draft picks, which could be used to improve the defense. Half of the teams out there would love to have Romo at QB despite the injuries, maybe it is time to cash in???
Put yourself in the position of the other team though.

Would you trade 'a bunch of high draft picks' for a guy who has played 4 and a bit games in 2 years? I'd hazard to guess you wouldn't. Maybe you get a conditional pick, something that maybe becomes a 1st rounder if a team wins the SB. You aren't getting a Herschel Walker type deal though, far from it.

It's like the Leary trade talk but times 100. Just be happy you have 2 good/great QB's on the roster. It's a nice 'issue' to have.

*Hypothetically though, if someone did lose the plot and offer multiple 1st rounders then yes, you'd consider it/take it.
Old 17.10.2016, 10:44 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Put yourself in the position of the other team though.

Would you trade 'a bunch of high draft picks' for a guy who has played 4 and a bit games in 2 years? I'd hazard to guess you wouldn't. Maybe you get a conditional pick, something that maybe becomes a 1st rounder if a team wins the SB. You aren't getting a Herschel Walker type deal though, far from it.

It's like the Leary trade talk but times 100. Just be happy you have 2 good/great QB's on the roster. It's a nice 'issue' to have.

*Hypothetically though, if someone did lose the plot and offer multiple 1st rounders then yes, you'd consider it/take it.
Some teams don't seem to care about there draft picks. Romo would be an upgrade on probably 20 teams at least. The Browns received 5 draft picks in the Wentz trade with the Eagles.

I suppose what might scupper any trade would be cap space and Romo's demands.
Old 17.10.2016, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan1971 View Post
Some teams don't seem to care about there draft picks. Romo would be an upgrade on probably 20 teams at least. The Browns received 5 draft picks in the Wentz trade with the Eagles.

I suppose what might scupper any trade would be cap space and Romo's demands.
It's one thing trading away multiple draft picks for a QB you think can lead your franchise for the next 15-20 years, it's another thing entirely trading for a QB you think can get you to 1 SB.

Romo, even as a back up, is way too valuable to the Cowboys this year to trade away. Next year might be different but I still don't think you'd get a haul. Like you say, cap wise it makes no sense to do this year either.

After the QB woes of recent years the Cowboys will/should assess the situation in the off season. This year is all about being as strong as possible roster wise.
Old 17.10.2016, 11:36 AM
Team Captain

Doesn't Romo's cap number this year and next mean a trade is unlikely?
Old 18.10.2016, 10:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd71 View Post
Doesn't Romo's cap number this year and next mean a trade is unlikely?
This year it's out of the question, it would cost the Cowboys $11m+ in cap penalties. Next year though is the year things start to turn in the Cowboys favour. If they traded Romo in 2017 they'd actually save just over $5m against the cap.

If they wanted to cut him in 2017, which I cant see at this stage, they could save even more by designating him a post June 1 cut and spreading the cost over 2017 & '18.

He's not going anywhere this season. If he is replaced by Dak before the season is over though.........this off season is going to be a very interesting one.
Old 19.10.2016, 06:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Talk starting to emerge that Dak will remain the starter after the Bye week, for the Philadelphia game at least.

It's as broad as long in some ways, but i agree with Bryan Broaddus' point about this situation. If you pull Dak now and Romo isn't good enough then you can always go back to Dak with his confidence still high from his winning streak. If you leave Dak in as the starter and he plays badly, THEN you bring Romo in and he plays poorly too, you have to go back to a Dak who is low on confidence after being benched in the first place.

Obviously if Dak was benched now but played poorly if he was called upon you'd be in a similar spot, but I think you could still see out the season with him as your no.1 under the premise that he's the Cowboys QB of the future.
Old 24.10.2016, 10:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Talk starting to emerge that Dak will remain the starter after the Bye week, for the Philadelphia game at least.

It's as broad as long in some ways, but i agree with Bryan Broaddus' point about this situation. If you pull Dak now and Romo isn't good enough then you can always go back to Dak with his confidence still high from his winning streak. If you leave Dak in as the starter and he plays badly, THEN you bring Romo in and he plays poorly too, you have to go back to a Dak who is low on confidence after being benched in the first place.

Obviously if Dak was benched now but played poorly if he was called upon you'd be in a similar spot, but I think you could still see out the season with him as your no.1 under the premise that he's the Cowboys QB of the future.
Dak doesnt stike me as a QB who would suffer from lack of confidence tho. he wasnt expected to do much this season, if he is benched for Romo i dont think it would matter much, hes a strong character