2016 Season - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 05.01.2017, 05:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan1971 View Post
We will probably play the Packers in the Divisional round, and that's a worry especially how hot Rodgers is at the moment. If we did beat the pack, then I reckon Atlanta would be our opponent in the NFC Championship game, and then onto Brady for the Superbowl.
Depending on how things play out we could have to beat the top 3 QB's in the league to win it all. If the Lions beat the Seahawks then either Rodgers or Ryan won't be in the NFC title game if we get that far.
Sponsored Links
Old 07.01.2017, 07:49 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Depending on how things play out we could have to beat the top 3 QB's in the league to win it all. If the Lions beat the Seahawks then either Rodgers or Ryan won't be in the NFC title game if we get that far.
That's a big IF. I fancy the Seahawks to beat the Lions tonight and wouldn't be surprised if we end up playing them for the divisional title.
Old 08.01.2017, 08:27 PM
Rookie

Look for the Cowboys to have to get past Rodgers first then Ryan... cause that's how it's gonna play out. *

*Assuming we can get past Rodgers.
Old 12.01.2017, 03:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Not many names on the Injury Report this week heading into the Packers game, which I suppose is no surprise really after a week off and with the most important game of the season on the line.

Looking at the Packers corners it looks like a golden opportunity to get Dez heavily involved. Let him use his size on some slants or line him up in the slot on occasion. The Packers are going to try to bring some pressure to get Dak out of his comfort zone, and despite the talent the Cowboys have on their O line I think the likes of Peppers, Matthews, etc will do just that. If Dez gets involved early it could really pay dividends later in the game. If he's on the periphery of things that I wouldn't feel too comfortable with the idea of going to him with the game on the line.

Feels like time of possession won't matter too much against Rodgers this week with the way he's been playing either. He looks like he could win a game with 25 minutes of possession or 35 minutes of possession, he'll make the most of whatever he has. Holding him to less than 24 points might be the magic number, a tough ask though. That said, if Jordy Nelson is out with fractured ribs it could take away one of the Packers 'clutch' go to guys. You feel much better facing Devante Adams on 3rd & 12 than Jordy Nelson.

It would be great if the crowd gets on a roll too. I think the Cowboys will start slowly in this one, so it's vital that Rodgers doesn't get the chance to silence the crowd before the game has really gets going.
Old 16.01.2017, 12:30 PM
Team Captain

Still an excellent season, despite the heart-braking loss to the Pack. We have our QB & RB for the future, one of the best O-Lines in the game and good receivers/TEs.

Expecting a defensive draft and free agency. Not had a look at who our free agents are after the season ends and then there's the Romo situation. Personally I think he will go, whether we release him or trade him is the question.

Overall a good time to be a Cowboys fan.
Old 17.01.2017, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Mixed emotions. A great regular season, 13-3 tied for the best record in Franchise history, then 1 and done in the play-offs despite being the no.1 seed. Same with the Divisional game, start slow and get buried by an 18 point deficit, yet show fight and determination to claw their way back and take it down to the wire. Feels like a missed opportunity, yet it's cruel to dismiss what went before.

The worst part of it is they find themselves at the foot of the mountain again in 2017, along with 31 other teams. A 2017 schedule that will include the AFC West, NFC West, Green Bay Packers, and Atlanta Falcons looks daunting to say the least.
Old 18.01.2017, 08:37 PM
Hall of Fame

I suppose the next step for this thread, sooner than we'd hoped, is to look to the off season..........

I'm sure this might lead to new threads but what's on the agenda moving forward.

1) Parting ways with Tony Romo - We're going to hear about it until his future is finally resolved, but I think most people would agree that his days as a Cowboy are almost certainly over? Take salary cap implications and Romo's own competitive nature out of the equation and you have the perfect back up (QB competitions aside).

You cant ignore those 2 things though so I guess he has to renegotiate his contract, or more likely move on, be that to another team or into retirement. People will point to Sam Bradford as a starting point in terms of draft compensation but that was a 'perfect storm' for the Eagles.

Romo's contract is going to be a sticking point but the Cowboys have to find a way to move away from the possibility of QB controversy.

2) Sorting the Pass Rush wheat from the Pass Rush chaff - It's been discussed all season long. Heck it was discussed throughout the off season last season too. The Cowboys need players who can get to the QB.

Be it injuries or suspension they've rotated through a number of D linemen, some have fallen by the wayside, some have 'excelled' at times e.g. David Irving. Terrell McClain and Jack Crawford are UFA this off season, Charles Tapper is an injury uncertainty, Gregory seems a lost cause. Lawrence was banged up AND suspended. Tyrone Crawford struggled through shoulder injuries. Maliek Collins started to show some promise late in the year. Benson Mayowa was a slow burner, and Cedric Thornton seemed to get lost in the rotation.

Who do they keep and how do they use them?

3) Secondary issues? - It looked to be a weakness, but it performed admirably when everything was said and done. Byron Jones and Anthony Brown look to be long term cornerstones.

What to do with Mo Claibourne though? His played improved, but he struggling to stay healthy again. He turns 27 in February, heading into his prime, but can you afford to invest in a talented player with injury issues? Carr and Scandrick will be north of 30 before next season, but they bring a veteran presence.

You would expect UFA Barry Church is resigned. He's a key part of the secondary and shouldn't cost the earth. JJ Wilcox improved in his contract year but does he bring enough to the table to be retained?

4) Free Agents? - If Romo's contract is removed from the roster then the Cowboys should have some breathing room to look at free agency. Some of that potential cap space will undoubtedly be re-invested in retaining their own, but is it worth adding other teams 'cast offs'?

Who was the last free agent that came in and made a big impact for the Cowboys? Terrell Owens?

5) The Draft - This will undoubtedly get it's own thread closer to the time...................
Old 22.01.2017, 10:23 AM
All Pro

There seems more questions to be answered after a good season than the previous one! I,m not sure even staff have any answers at this stage.Romo i,m sure wants to stay but that contract will have to be slashed, how do we trade a 26 yr old QB with injury issues? 36 rather! Despite all the doom and gloom before the season about the D i thought they were superb, stat wise n01 against the run and no1 cornerbacks it has been said The D line is again the issue i guess, and lack of pressure/sacks.We all love to see a monster DE in the QBs face every play, but i wouldnt hang myself if we dont get one, whos out there on free agency? the top one like JPP will be re signed and most of the others have age or injury concerns, drafting one can be a big risk as the team know
Old 01.03.2017, 09:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Talk of Doug Free considering retirement apparently. Hmmm, that would clear $7.5m from the cap.................and leave a bit of a void at RT! Free wasn't an All Pro last season but he's solid enough when healthy, and has plenty of experience. Would Chaz Green be durable enough to be the starting RT? If he can't stay healthy then it creates even more uncertainty.

Speaking of cap space......

Stephen Jones:

"I've made it clear our no.1 priority is Zack, to get him re-signed at some point. When you've got that much money in the offensive line and you have Dez and you have Zeke, who obviously was a top 5 pick, those guys don't come cheap.....You don't have enough money to go around when it's all said and done. So as much as we'd like to keep them all, some guys are going to make more than we can afford to pay them"

Nothing like a 'you cant pay them all' statement to start negotiations eh Stephen? Just get Zack signed and accept you're going to have to get creative elsewhere. The best guard in football is going to cost you, and you knew that a while back. When Dak and Zeke need extensions something is going to have to give, probably Dez.