All Hail Lambert and the Steelers Thread! - Page 147 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 06.09.2015, 09:58 PM
MVP

Sooooo, what a draft this is looking to be: Doran Grant cut, Chickillo cut, Holliman cut, Golson out for the year.... It'd be fine if we weren't needing everyone to step up, but we are.

I am absolutely staggered to see all these power rankings and season predictions that rank us 3rd in the league, getting the no2 seed in the AFC and things like that. Maybe it's because I tend to look at things from a Defensive perspective but I do not see us being a playoff team this year and certainly not winning the division. And our schedule is really difficult too....

Anyway I am heading out to Pittsburgh for the home opener in week 2 against the Niners. I am 0-2 at Heinz Field. If we lose again I might have to take it as a sign that I'm cursed and should never return, especially as San Francisco look a mess.
Old 07.09.2015, 12:50 PM
All Pro

I think our offence is definitely up there once we get everyone back, but will that be too late for a serious push?

I'm really shocked at how badly we've done scouting defensive players over the last few years. I know the excuse was always DLB's system was so complex they needed to sit for years to grasp it. We've had a lot of defensive flops (not busts) and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We see great at evaluating WR talent but very little else. Wasn't Mike Mitchell supposed to be great? Wasn't Shamarko supposed to be a younger, angrier version of Troy? Wasn't Jarvis Jones supposed to be a scarier pass-rusher than Silverback?

What has happened to our scouting!?!?!?!?!
Old 07.09.2015, 08:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers_wheelman View Post
I think our offence is definitely up there once we get everyone back, but will that be too late for a serious push?

I'm really shocked at how badly we've done scouting defensive players over the last few years. I know the excuse was always DLB's system was so complex they needed to sit for years to grasp it. We've had a lot of defensive flops (not busts) and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. We see great at evaluating WR talent but very little else. Wasn't Mike Mitchell supposed to be great? Wasn't Shamarko supposed to be a younger, angrier version of Troy? Wasn't Jarvis Jones supposed to be a scarier pass-rusher than Silverback?

What has happened to our scouting!?!?!?!?!
a chunk of the scouting is done by one organisation, everyone is going to have their differing opinions on players, when it comes down to it, it is Mike and Kevin who make the decisions, based on scouting for the most part admittedly. But everyone will have their favorites, it is very difficult to be totally impartial during a process like this.

I'd never even heard of Mitchell before we signed him, Shamarko has spent too long riding the pine, and this may well be justified based on what we have seen, trouble is he is still very raw in game time, he hasn't had enough exposure,... Jarvis Jones was more of a splash player who diagnosed quickly and well, rather than a great pass rusher.

I wasn't keen on the jj pick and i wasn't keen on Dupree either this year, but we desperately need a pass rusher, Chickillo doesn't appear to be the answer either, as his last game was pretty abject.

This pre-season we have looked awful defensively, no one has stood out apart from Shazier and Deebo.

We are going to have to have the mother of all gameplans if we are to keep NE below 30 points!
Old 08.09.2015, 12:35 PM
All Pro

Well at least Grant and Chickillo made it to the practice squad.... So there is only Holliman from the draft that isn't still with the team in some capacity

I wonder how long either of them stay there until they get snapped up?

Can somebody tell me just how bad they were in preseason for us to keep 2 FBs on the roster over either of them?
Old 08.09.2015, 04:54 PM
Pro Bowler

8:30 tonight, UK Steelers based draft who's keen? 4 Spots left
Old 08.09.2015, 06:26 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
Well at least Grant and Chickillo made it to the practice squad.... So there is only Holliman from the draft that isn't still with the team in some capacity

I wonder how long either of them stay there until they get snapped up?

Can somebody tell me just how bad they were in preseason for us to keep 2 FBs on the roster over either of them?
Neither Chickillo or Grant did enough on Special Teams or in games, especially the last game when it was their last chance to shine, they both regressed...

Grant got beaten easilly for a TD, and Chickillo didn't sniff the QB, zero splash plays and no impact on ST are a ticket to the PS.

I think both of these will be safe on the PS, they are no where near game ready or worthy of a 53 on anyones roster!

Nix stood out on ST with his blocked punt, so he will be on the roster for a while, maybe giving way for Bell on his return.
Old 08.09.2015, 09:02 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
The 2 FB'S is an interesting one.In the Packers game we both in on the same plays at least a couple of times,dont think we had a convential RB in as well.

We also had Will Johnson carrying the ball during the Panthers game.Not sure if this was down to injuries as I was just watching the condensed version(a man can only watch so many 3hr preseason games!)

Have since heard that Johnson may be used as a runner.Also it doesn't help that in Archer we have a player who is severely limited in the ways he can be used as a runner,not that that has stopped us from trying.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 09.09.2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09.09.2015, 08:51 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
The 2 FB'S is an interesting one.In the Packers game we both in on the same plays at least a couple of times,dont think we had a convential RB in as well.

We also had Will Johnson carrying the ball during the Panthers game.Not sure if this was down to injuries as I was just watching the condensed version(a man can only watch so many 3hr preseason games!)

Have since heard that Johnson may be used as a runner.Also it doesn't help that in Archer we have a player who is severely limited in the ways he can be used as a runner,not that that has stopped us from trying.
if Nix gets a hat on gamedays and makes a splash on ST and Archer fails to see much action of any note (highly likely) i wouldn't be all that surprised if Archer gets sent to the PS on Bells return, or even waived! The guy is a walking waste of space as far as i can see.
Old 10.09.2015, 07:32 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
if Nix gets a hat on gamedays and makes a splash on ST and Archer fails to see much action of any note (highly likely) i wouldn't be all that surprised if Archer gets sent to the PS on Bells return, or even waived! The guy is a walking waste of space as far as i can see.
But hes so fast and explosive...
Old 10.09.2015, 08:23 AM
All Pro

Why we suck

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...ers-1725629956

Doesn't seem as funny this year, but a couple of the other teams are amusing

Tags
she said no!