New York Jets Thread - Page 804 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 20.06.2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
Anyone watched the One Jets Drive off season documentary the Jets have put out on Facebook? Is it worth watching or just off season fluff?

On a slightly related note, C4 are doing a fly on the wall documentary on Woody's first 9 months as US ambassador. Doubt it will have much, if anything, on the Jets but might reveal a bit about him.
Think I know all I want to about Woody...

Haven’t seen that documentary yet, will have to give it a look.
Sponsored Links
Old 27.07.2018, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I’m not throwing the toys out of the pram like many Jets’ fans on social media seem to be, but it is annoying that Darnold still hasn’t signed and has now missed the start of practice...
Old 27.07.2018, 08:15 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I’m not throwing the toys out of the pram like many Jets’ fans on social media seem to be, but it is annoying that Darnold still hasn’t signed and has now missed the start of practice...
Yeah, I get he will eventually sign and if he's a success nobody will remember this....

Still out a bit of a dampener on first day of TC though, was really excited to see how he got on.
Old 28.07.2018, 06:07 PM
Starter

Completely agree. Cannot see the point. He seemed so football focussed, I never saw this coming.
Old 28.07.2018, 06:16 PM
Hall of Fame

I don't understand why all rookie contracts aren't set in stone. I know the money is now set with the CBA and the rookie scale, but it should ALL be set. The entire language of the contract.

We saw Joey Bosa hold out over a similar thing a few years back. One high profile holdout over the structure of a rookie contract just encourages agents to do the same for their clients in years to come.

Funny how Darnold was the 3rd overall selection just like Bosa. Bosa set a precedent.
Old 28.07.2018, 06:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I don't understand why all rookie contracts aren't set in stone. I know the money is now set with the CBA and the rookie scale, but it should ALL be set. The entire language of the contract.

We saw Joey Bosa hold out over a similar thing a few years back. One high profile holdout over the structure of a rookie contract just encourages agents to do the same for their clients in years to come.

Funny how Darnold was the 3rd overall selection just like Bosa. Bosa set a precedent.
It nearly all is set in stone. Just a few things aren't. The issue in this case does not seem to be offsets as initially thought by many but to do with guaranteed money in the case of the contract voiding. Surely the next CBA will standardise all rookie contracts though.
Old 29.07.2018, 05:53 AM
Starter

It will all be resolved, but it shouldn't happen. Surely Darnold is desperate to get out there. Maybe there is a silver lining. If this forces him to sit for a few games and only start when he is ready?
Old 29.07.2018, 09:00 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-t-s12 View Post
It will all be resolved, but it shouldn't happen. Surely Darnold is desperate to get out there. Maybe there is a silver lining. If this forces him to sit for a few games and only start when he is ready?
I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but if he misses much more time then the likelihood of him being ready to start game 1 goes down significantly.
Old 30.07.2018, 12:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
It nearly all is set in stone. Just a few things aren't. The issue in this case does not seem to be offsets as initially thought by many but to do with guaranteed money in the case of the contract voiding. Surely the next CBA will standardise all rookie contracts though.
Yeah, apparently the Jets want his guaranteed money to void if he's fined by the league for discipline or conduct. A bit harsh imo (depending on the crime) and it doesn't exactly show a whole lot of faith in the character of the future of your franchise either.

I know it's wise from a business standpoint but i'm not sure it's worth it to rock the boat so soon.
Old 30.07.2018, 12:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Yeah, apparently the Jets want his guaranteed money to void if he's fined by the league for discipline or conduct. A bit harsh imo (depending on the crime) and it doesn't exactly show a whole lot of faith in the character of the future of your franchise either.

I know it's wise from a business standpoint but i'm not sure it's worth it to rock the boat so soon.
As I understand it the Jets have put this language in every rookie contract for a year or two and that all the other rookies have signed, including the ones managed by Sexton! I can understand why an agent wouldn't like it and it seems that he's using Darnold as a tool to get the team to cave as he has leverage he wouldn't have with a fourth round pick.

There's also reports today about Darnold's Cali lifestyle (surfing, wakeboarding, etc) being the issue as the team want a void in there if he injures himself through these activities, which might be believable as well.

The faith thing goes both ways. Agent hat on - if you believe the player has a standout character, why do you need voiding language. GM hat on - if the player you represent is the standout character we believe him to be why would he be worried about voiding language.

I tend to think that it is Sexton trying to use Darnold for leverage to break the Jets on the voiding language he doesn't like that is the main sticking point, but that there are several issues contributing.