The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of Fame - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Sponsored Links

Old 25.08.2005, 09:14 PM
All Pro

Default Re:The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of F

Sorry if this isnt the place to ask such a question, but is it true that during the 87 strike, several members of the London Ravens were invited to cross the picket lines and play for NFL teams?? i seem to recall reading it somewhere?

Did any actually do it?
Sponsored Links
Old 26.08.2005, 06:24 AM
All Pro

Default Re:The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of F

No idea Wullie - check the Britball Now history pages. They're sure to have any details.
Old 29.08.2005, 04:05 AM
All Pro

[quote author=wullie link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=0#msg276835 date=1125004449]
Sorry if this isnt the place to ask such a question, but is it true that during the 87 strike, several members of the London Ravens were invited to cross the picket lines and play for NFL teams?? i seem to recall reading it somewhere?

Did any actually do it?
[/quote]

I know a Ravens QB was offered a place but he didn't accept.
Old 03.09.2005, 08:13 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Running_Backwards link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=0#msg278205 date=1125288355]
[quote author=wullie link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=0#msg276835 date=1125004449]

Did any actually do it?
[/quote]

I know a Ravens QB was offered a place but he didn't accept.
[/quote]

Would that have been Ron Roberts Jnr?

BBS
Old 10.11.2005, 07:36 PM
All Pro

I recently discovered that there was a history of the UK game provided in the "2004 British American Football Almanac"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...594481-4821259

BBS
Old 13.12.2005, 03:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Those early years of Britball were amazing, i used to go and watch every Bud Bowl there was, played 2 years for the Thames Valley Chargers Jnrs and loved the games back then. Have some great memories.

Remember Lorenzo Walker ? Herschel Walkers brother, he played over here for a while.

Then there was Sean Payton who was the Leicester Panthers QB i believe in 88 after he came back from the NFL strike where he suited up for Chicago i remember. Now of course Sean Payton is the assistant Headcoach with Dallas.

Hazen Choates was a brilliant QB for the Spartans and played over here for a while. I recently sold an old Britball book to none other than Bo Hickey who played for the Ravens and Falcons. Then Birminghams Russ Jensen who played for the Raiders in the strike year of 87, he refused to play in the Bud Bowl because of a row with team officials.

Ron Roberts and the Ravens featuring their amazing rushing attack of Joe St Louis and Victor Ebubedike. The Olympians featuring Richard Dunkley etc.

The glory years of the late 80's was brilliant, nice to see the game still around and many universities playing the game.
Old 20.01.2006, 01:26 AM
Starter

I seem to remember ITV showing highlights of the Superbowl pre 1976 several months after the event. I believe they did this for a couple of years but they only showed about 10 - 20 mins worth at a time. I think the years where 74 and or 75...

but then again i could be wrong...
Old 21.02.2006, 09:46 PM
Pro

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg370303 date=1134489460]
Those early years of Britball were amazing, i used to go and watch every Bud Bowl there was, played 2 years for the Thames Valley Chargers Jnrs and loved the games back then. Have some great memories.

Remember Lorenzo Walker ? Herschel Walkers brother, he played over here for a while.

Then there was Sean Payton who was the Leicester Panthers QB i believe in 88 after he came back from the NFL strike where he suited up for Chicago i remember. Now of course Sean Payton is the assistant Headcoach with Dallas.

Hazen Choates was a brilliant QB for the Spartans and played over here for a while. I recently sold an old Britball book to none other than Bo Hickey who played for the Ravens and Falcons. Then Birminghams Russ Jensen who played for the Raiders in the strike year of 87, he refused to play in the Bud Bowl because of a row with team officials.

Ron Roberts and the Ravens featuring their amazing rushing attack of Joe St Louis and Victor Ebubedike. The Olympians featuring Richard Dunkley etc.

The glory years of the late 80's was brilliant, nice to see the game still around and many universities playing the game.
[/quote]

There was also Marc Van Allen he played for the Northants Storm in 1990, and the Los Angles Raiders during the strike year
Old 01.05.2006, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Last heard Ron Roberts Jnr was coaching at a college.

Also you may find that the Ravens did a video with monie love in the late 80's early 90's.
Old 06.06.2006, 12:12 PM
Hall of Fame

The biggest ever player who played for a britball team was James Brooks ! The ex great Bengal moved to the UK as he married an english lass, lived in Sheffield and i think was persuaded to suit up for a game or two for Sheffield. Remember reading about it in First Down, think he fell out with the team in the end and hardly played but i'm sure he played a game or two.