NHL Season - Page 101 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 19.05.2008, 11:55 AM
All Pro

Default Re:NHL Season

[quote author=Kase link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895713 date=1211196711]
I would compare the Flyers in change around from the previous season to that of the Cleveland Browns, only imagine if the Browns had made it to the AFC Championship this season.....other then that its pointless comparing teams in different sports.

When it comes down to it we really cant tell you who you should support, watch hockey, see who you like yourself & decide....seems to me you had Ottawa choosen, nothing wrong with them, I personally dont really like the Senators, but they are a good team & should be contenders again next season
[/quote]

True, the Flyers are more like the Clowns, not only that but both teams dislike franchises from Pittsburgh.
Old 19.05.2008, 11:58 AM
All Pro

[quote author=dino26 link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895705 date=1211195226]
Could someone try summing up the flyers and rangers as premiership football teams or NFL teams.
[/quote]

It's kind of tough to sum them up as football teams because they're such different sports and so as a result the qualities between the teams makes it hard to do a real comparison. I'll try and sum them up in bullet points for you though.

New York Rangers

- They were founded in 1925 and joined the league for the 1925/26 season so have a very long, deep history.

- They were one of the 'Original Six' teams, along with the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks.

- Have won four Stanley Cups in their time, the most recent being in 1994.

- Have 44 former players in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

- They represent New York City and have fierce rivalries with their fellow Atlantic Division teams: the New York Islanders (who represent Long Island), New Jersey Devils, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins.

- Have looked very strong since the lockout, averaging 97 points and 237 goals per season.

- Had a reputation as a glitzy, speed skating team however in recent years they've become a lot grittier whilst still managing to retain their scoring success.

- Some of their 'main' players include Jaromir Jagr (C), Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brendan Shanahan (A), Martin Straka (A), Sean Avery, Christian Backman and Henrik Lundqvist. They have also got a lot of very promising, up and coming players such as Ryan Callahan, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Dubinsky, Dan Girardi and Marc Staal.

Philadelphia Flyers

- Joined the league in 1967 as an expansion team.

- Have won two Stanley Cups, their most recent being in 1975.

- The Flyers' 40th anniversary, the 2006/07 season was their worst in franchise history, as they only managed to score 56 points, finishing with 22 wins and 48 losses and in last place in the overall league standings.

- They have rebounded back from their disastrous 06/07 campain though and, as you know, made it to the Eastern Conference finals this year.

- They always had a reputation as being a hard-nosed, old school hockey team (the nickname 'the Broad Street Bullies' was first used to describe their violent style in the 1972/73 season) however in more recent years, with the addition of some highly skilled players, they have become a more well-rounded team.

- Some of their big name players include Daniel Briere, Simon Gagné (A), Mike Knuble, Vaclav Prospal, Mike Richards (A), R.J. Umberger, Scottie Upshall, Derian Hatcher, Jaroslav Modry, Jason Smith (C), Kimmo Timonen and Martin Biron.

- They are a very well balanced team with some superbly talented players in all positions and don't really have any glaring weaknesses anywhere.

I hope this helps. I don't want to push you into anything or whatever but.......... support the Rangers.
Old 19.05.2008, 12:02 PM
All Pro

[quote author=The SSS link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895711 date=1211195995]
[quote author=dino26 link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895705 date=1211195226]
Could someone try summing up the flyers and rangers as premiership football teams or NFL teams.
[/quote]

Premiership comparisons is impossible, the Flyers had the worst record in the NHL last season and got to the Eastern Conference finals.

In my opinion in comparison to NFL teams:

NY Rangers - Chargers (recent success but can't get to the Stanley Cup finals).

Flyers - Pretty similar to the Vikings (OK the Vikings weren't the NFL worst but the Flyers last off-season did what the Vikings have been doing this off-season, re-building/vastly improving and it almost got them to the Stanley Cup finals).

Actually I would like to see other Hockey fans views on this.
[/quote]

As premiership teams i'd think;

Rangers - Spurs, have a rich rich history and are an important team but never quite seem to be able to consistently challenge for championships

Flyers - Wimbledon!! Enjoy great success playing a more physical game than most
Old 19.05.2008, 05:07 PM
All Pro

Ahh thanks guys got the 2:35 am game on record for tomorrow morning.
Old 19.05.2008, 06:23 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Idris Dragon link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895688 date=1211193557]
A fantastic win for the Pens last night and a bit odd to notice a ravens fan rooting for the Pens....
[/quote]

I was a Penguin fan before I was a Raven fan.And was a Johnny U fan before being a Penguin fan.

Once the Steeler/Raven hate started growing,I tried to support the Sharks.But I just couldn't. I just had to live with it.Like having a set of good teeth on one side of my mouth and no teeth on the other. ;D
Old 19.05.2008, 06:37 PM

[quote author=RavenTD link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895916 date=1211221381]
[quote author=Idris Dragon link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=990#msg895688 date=1211193557]
A fantastic win for the Pens last night and a bit odd to notice a ravens fan rooting for the Pens....
[/quote]

I was a Penguin fan before I was a Raven fan.And was a Johnny U fan before being a Penguin fan.

Once the Steeler/Raven hate started growing,I tried to support the Sharks.But I just couldn't. I just had to live with it.Like having a set of good teeth on one side of my mouth and no teeth on the other. ;D
[/quote]

You kept that nicely hidden from this fellow UKRaven until this season.
Old 19.05.2008, 08:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
With the way my brain is going, I'd probably wear a Crosby or Malkin jersey at a meet up,and give you all a major shock.So I thought I'd let the cat out of the bag before I slipped up.

Like I said when I came out of the closet,I have convinced myself that Penguin fans come from a different Pittsburgh than do Steeler fans.

All I need now is to become a Cleveland Indian fan and truly get myself committed. :'(
Old 19.05.2008, 09:04 PM

[quote author=RavenTD link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=1005#msg895952 date=1211227469]
Quote:
With the way my brain is going, I'd probably wear a Crosby or Malkin jersey at a meet up,and give you all a major shock.So I thought I'd let the cat out of the bag before I slipped up.

Like I said when I came out of the closet,I have convinced myself that Penguin fans come from a different Pittsburgh than do Steeler fans.

All I need now is to become a Cleveland Indian fan and truly get myself committed. :'(
[/quote]

I tried this year to re-locate all my sports teams to the Baltimore-DC area and follow the Capitals rather than the Devils but I just couldn't do it, too much of a fan of Brodeur. Highly tempted to buy myself a Brodeur jersey as I've just found one on ebay that is far cheaper than any I've ever found before.
Old 19.05.2008, 09:11 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Stockers link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=1005#msg895982 date=1211231044]I tried this year to re-locate all my sports teams to the Baltimore-DC area and follow the Capitals rather than the Devils but I just couldn't do it, too much of a fan of Brodeur. Highly tempted to buy myself a Brodeur jersey as I've just found one on ebay that is far cheaper than any I've ever found before.
[/quote]

Another prize whiner. What is it that makes these guys so popular?
Old 19.05.2008, 09:31 PM

[quote author=Boycey link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=1005#msg895983 date=1211231518]
[quote author=Stockers link=board=23;threadid=21661;start=1005#msg895982 date=1211231044]I tried this year to re-locate all my sports teams to the Baltimore-DC area and follow the Capitals rather than the Devils but I just couldn't do it, too much of a fan of Brodeur. Highly tempted to buy myself a Brodeur jersey as I've just found one on ebay that is far cheaper than any I've ever found before.
[/quote]

Another prize whiner. What is it that makes these guys so popular?
[/quote]

By being the greateset goaltender to ever grace the game?

As for you lavishing praise on Sean Avery, well. I'm a well respected moderator who should be setting an example to the other posters on here so I won't say what I think of him on the forum. :P

Tags
admit it , allhailkinghenrik , between the pipes v2 , bruins jersey , go habs go!!! , lets go maple leafs! , repeat! , west is best , who likes the bru-ins