Training Camp Battles: Quarterbacks - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 16.05.2013, 11:16 AM
Pro

Default Training Camp Battles: Quarterbacks

Training Camp Battles: Quarterbacks - Which QB will start on Week 1? Read my predictions here -> http://nflmad.wordpress.com/2013/05/...-quarterbacks/
Sponsored Links
Old 16.05.2013, 12:17 PM
All Pro

Send a message via Skype™ to MattyTM

Whilst your prediction of Vick is going to be correct it's not a no-brainer by any stretch and why the lack of info on Foles who will be the 2nd string QB and not Barkley?

Barkley has been impressive but you say his skill set matches Chip's scheme? Not really, but then again Vick despite what everyone believes isn't suited to Chip's scheme's either but that's for another thread. Foles if anything is the most suited QB right now in terms of skill set alas he will not start.

I also don't understand why people have honed in so much on the 'arm', yes Vick has a better arm, but his long-bombs invariably ended in INT's, Chip will not utilise deep ball's as much as many think. His hurry-up offense will be much more atuned to the dunk and dip passes seen by the likes of the Patriots. The issue with Vick is his release time, not so much his throw but the fact that he holds on to the ball for far to long, Foles and Matt generally get it out quicker, from what i've seen of barkley in college at least anyways.

Also Chip needs a QB to make quick redzone reads, Vick struggled and even Foles struggled whether I think Matt will be any better remains to be seen.

Let us not even forget Dixon, a dark horse who could surprise many.

Vick starting correct
Matt as a back-up... nah it'll be Foles...
Old 16.05.2013, 12:24 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyTM View Post
Whilst your prediction of Vick is going to be correct it's not a no-brainer by any stretch and why the lack of info on Foles who will be the 2nd string QB and not Barkley?

Barkley has been impressive but you say his skill set matches Chip's scheme? Not really, but then again Vick despite what everyone believes isn't suited to Chip's scheme's either but that's for another thread. Foles if anything is the most suited QB right now in terms of skill set alas he will not start.

I also don't understand why people have honed in so much on the 'arm', yes Vick has a better arm, but his long-bombs invariably ended in INT's, Chip will not utilise deep ball's as much as many think. His hurry-up offense will be much more atuned to the dunk and dip passes seen by the likes of the Patriots. The issue with Vick is his release time, not so much his throw but the fact that he holds on to the ball for far to long, Foles and Matt generally get it out quicker, from what i've seen of barkley in college at least anyways.

Also Chip needs a QB to make quick redzone reads, Vick struggled and even Foles struggled whether I think Matt will be any better remains to be seen.

Let us not even forget Dixon, a dark horse who could surprise many.

Vick starting correct
Matt as a back-up... nah it'll be Foles...
I hear what you're saying about Foles and Barkley. I just think Barkley would be a better as back-up. Foles only won one game when he filled in for the injured Vick.

Dixon wasn't included in this discussion sadly because I think he is just a camp-arm. I know he has his past relations with Kelly at Oregon but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the final squad.

Not that the Eagles won't take all four QBs on but I think it will be either Dixon or Foles, in an extraordinary circumstance that gets cut if one of them has to be cut.
Old 16.05.2013, 12:34 PM
All Pro

Send a message via Skype™ to MattyTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorp15 View Post
I hear what you're saying about Foles and Barkley. I just think Barkley would be a better as back-up. Foles only won one game when he filled in for the injured Vick.

Dixon wasn't included in this discussion sadly because I think he is just a camp-arm. I know he has his past relations with Kelly at Oregon but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the final squad.

Not that the Eagles won't take all four QBs on but I think it will be either Dixon or Foles, in an extraordinary circumstance that gets cut if one of them has to be cut.
Don't think the one win was entirely on him in fairness, over 60% accuracy, poised in the pocket, good decision maker, the fact that Chip didn't trade him when other teams were looking for possible QB's speaks volumes about the coaches views on him.

He had quite possibly the best rookie season of any Eagles QB to date so I don't understand why so many dismiss him so readily? Alas everyone has an opinion.
Old 16.05.2013, 01:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Campbell will only get the job if Weedon is injured, he is nothing more than a backup and if Weedon stinks then we will take a guy next year.

Good read though thanks for posting it up
Old 16.05.2013, 01:32 PM
MVP

I don't think Pryor stands a chance at starting in Oakland. Flynn vs Wilson II could be interesting though...
Old 16.05.2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Pryor is 3rd string.

The advantage that Wilson and Barkley have over Pryor and Foles is that they were hand picked by the current front office/coaching staff.
Old 16.05.2013, 04:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Pryor has CK skills.

I watched him plenty at Ohio State - hell, USC played them twice. I always thought Tressell under-utilized him because every once in awhile when Pryor ran he burned us...but just as pure pocket presence he was okay.

He was Vince Young II out of high school...I don't know what's gone on since...and what kind of coaching he is getting...but I get a feeling Harbaugh could turn Pyror into something if he can turn Alex Smith around and help CK become a star. Pryor has that similar skill set - to a degree - I've seen it!!!
Old 16.05.2013, 06:16 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Campbell will only get the job if Weedon is injured, he is nothing more than a backup and if Weedon stinks then we will take a guy next year.

Good read though thanks for posting it up
Thanks my friend. Share it with your friends!
Old 19.05.2013, 09:45 PM
Hall of Fame

EJ - Bills offense is simpler than Florida State's - so...here I go!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-state-offense

Tags
bills , browns , jets , otas , raiders