Philly 2014 Pre-Season Tickets - Tips - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Philadelphia Eagles

Sponsored Links

Old 21.04.2014, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Question Philly 2014 Pre-Season Tickets - Tips

Hey All,

I'm doing an east coast tour of the US this year from Boston->NYC->Philly->Washington, and one of the big things me and my girlfriend want to do during our 4 days in Philly is catch an Eagles game!

We're going to be in Philly on 28th August so could go to the final 2014 pre-season game against the Jets. Understand it may mean most of the starters are benched for most of it, but it's the only date we're there and it would still be amazing to see some football in the Linc.

I want to know a few things:
1. Has anyone been to an Eagles pre-season game before, and when do the single game pre-season tickets go on sale? Are they hard to get?

2. There are some tickets advertised now on the likes of Stub-Hub / other sites, but I know the official ticket supplier of the NFL is ticketmaster's NFL ticket exchange, so is it better to wait and buy from these guys?

3. Roughly what kind of prices do you expect to pay for a pre-season game, preferably lower tier?

4. Anyone got any big tips for things to do in Philly / good places to eat etc?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 21.04.2014, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRW View Post
Hey All,

I'm doing an east coast tour of the US this year from Boston->NYC->Philly->Washington, and one of the big things me and my girlfriend want to do during our 4 days in Philly is catch an Eagles game!

We're going to be in Philly on 28th August so could go to the final 2014 pre-season game against the Jets. Understand it may mean most of the starters are benched for most of it, but it's the only date we're there and it would still be amazing to see some football in the Linc.

I want to know a few things:
1. Has anyone been to an Eagles pre-season game before, and when do the single game pre-season tickets go on sale? Are they hard to get?

2. There are some tickets advertised now on the likes of Stub-Hub / other sites, but I know the official ticket supplier of the NFL is ticketmaster's NFL ticket exchange, so is it better to wait and buy from these guys?

3. Roughly what kind of prices do you expect to pay for a pre-season game, preferably lower tier?

4. Anyone got any big tips for things to do in Philly / good places to eat etc?

Thanks!
Afraid I can't help you on 1 - 3 but hopefully somebody else will be able to.

Did a similar trip 2 summers ago (Toronto -> Buffalo -> NYC -> Washington), so I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. Philly was my favourite city I visited, but then I was always going to be biased!

Things to do - I'd recommend taking the SEPTA underground to City Hall and walking from there through JFK Plaza (past the LOVE sculpture) and along Benjamin Franklin Parkway to the Art Museum (following a photo op by the Rocky statue and a run up the Rocky steps). Make sure youalso then head round the back of the art museums for some great views of the river and the parklands.

Independence Mall also has plenty of free attractions to visit including the Liberty Bell.

Also recommend the Linc stadium tour - did it 2 summers ago and it was really good.

Food/drink-wise, if you're there for 4 days you should make sure to sample a range of the cheesesteaks! Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's, Jim's and John's are probably the top 5!

If you like your icecream - I highly recommend the Franklin Fountain - a retro-style ice cream/milkshake parlour. Delicious treats across the board!

Reading Terminal Market has hundreds of food stalls to visit and sample as well.

Also highly recommend trying a Yuengling lager whilst you're in Pennsylvania (Freakin Eagle recommended it to me before I went and I highly enjoyed one or two!)

Hope you have an awesome trip!

Last edited by jrt55555; 21.04.2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 21.04.2014, 11:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
Afraid I can't help you on 1 - 3 but hopefully somebody else will be able to.

Did a similar trip 2 summers ago (Toronto -> Buffalo -> NYC -> Washington), so I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. Philly was my favourite city I visited, but then I was always going to be biased!

Things to do - I'd recommend taking the SEPTA underground to City Hall and walking from there through JFK Plaza (past the LOVE sculpture) and along Benjamin Franklin Parkway to the Art Museum (following a photo op by the Rocky statue and a run up the Rocky steps). Make sure youalso then head round the back of the art museums for some great views of the river and the parklands.

Independence Mall also has plenty of free attractions to visit including the Liberty Bell.

Also recommend the Linc stadium tour - did it 2 summers ago and it was really good.

Food/drink-wise, if you're there for 4 days you should make sure to sample a range of the cheesesteaks! Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's, Jim's and John's are probably the top 5!

If you like your icecream - I highly recommend the Franklin Fountain - a retro-style ice cream/milkshake parlour. Delicious treats across the board!

Reading Terminal Market has hundreds of food stalls to visit and sample as well.

Also highly recommend trying a Yuengling lager whilst you're in Pennsylvania (Freakin Eagle recommended it to me before I went and I highly enjoyed one or two!)

Hope you have an awesome trip!
Thanks for that Jrt! Really good tips! I'll print this out before we go.
Was hoping someone would know about the cheesesteaks and recommend a few!

Anyone else have any info on 1-3 please? Or further tips on 4?
Thanks in advance.
Old 22.04.2014, 08:44 AM
Pro

I haven't been to a pre-season game either (apart from Eagles v Browns at Wembley in 1989). I've used StubHub plenty of times for regular season games with no problems at all. One time I looked for a vendor without electronic tickets so I had the stubs. You won't have any trouble getting a ticket and by the fourth quarter you'll be able to choose any seat you want!

Things to do in Philly:

At City Hall you can go up to the top of the tower for about $10 which gives you a great view of the skyline.

Union play on the 24th if you'll be there then. Lovely stadium and you can drink beer while watching the game - quite a novelty for us Brits! It's in a really crappy area, but if you take the train from Market East station a bus takes you right there.

Phillies play 22nd-27th across the street from the Linc which is well worth doing. Make sure you go to Xfinity Live! for Yuengling and food.

You should also try Crab Fries at Chickies and Petes, either near the stadiums or inside CBP.

Jim's has the best cheesesteaks for me and it's on South Street too, which is very cool. On the same block from Jim's is "Cheesesteaktees" where you can find some great Eagles stuff that they design themselves.

If you want to do some shopping you can go out to King of Prussia which is the second biggest mall in America. I usually take the bus from Center City which is easy and cheap.

You could also take the bus to Laurel Hill Cemetary which has a headstone for Adrian Balboa - the actual prop from the movie. The final scene in Rocky Balboa was filmed at the cemetary, though the headstone has been moved. If you're a Phillies fan, Harry Kalas is buried there too. You can sit in seats from the Vet and look out over the river.

Last time I was in Philly I visited the gym from Rocky (not really a gym) and the pet shop. It's in a VERY bad area, so take a cab and keep the meter running. Snap a couple of photos and get out of there!

Something very Philly is Wawa. It's a 7-11 that makes sandwiches to order - and they're GOOD!

If it's your first visit, get a guidebook or look up the touristy stuff online because that will all be of interest. Liberty Bell, Independence hall, Betsy Ross house, Eastern State Penetentiary. Center City is very safe and easily walkable. Have a great time!
Old 27.04.2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukeaglesfan View Post
I haven't been to a pre-season game either (apart from Eagles v Browns at Wembley in 1989). I've used StubHub plenty of times for regular season games with no problems at all. One time I looked for a vendor without electronic tickets so I had the stubs. You won't have any trouble getting a ticket and by the fourth quarter you'll be able to choose any seat you want!

Things to do in Philly:

At City Hall you can go up to the top of the tower for about $10 which gives you a great view of the skyline.

Union play on the 24th if you'll be there then. Lovely stadium and you can drink beer while watching the game - quite a novelty for us Brits! It's in a really crappy area, but if you take the train from Market East station a bus takes you right there.

Phillies play 22nd-27th across the street from the Linc which is well worth doing. Make sure you go to Xfinity Live! for Yuengling and food.

You should also try Crab Fries at Chickies and Petes, either near the stadiums or inside CBP.

Jim's has the best cheesesteaks for me and it's on South Street too, which is very cool. On the same block from Jim's is "Cheesesteaktees" where you can find some great Eagles stuff that they design themselves.

If you want to do some shopping you can go out to King of Prussia which is the second biggest mall in America. I usually take the bus from Center City which is easy and cheap.

You could also take the bus to Laurel Hill Cemetary which has a headstone for Adrian Balboa - the actual prop from the movie. The final scene in Rocky Balboa was filmed at the cemetary, though the headstone has been moved. If you're a Phillies fan, Harry Kalas is buried there too. You can sit in seats from the Vet and look out over the river.

Last time I was in Philly I visited the gym from Rocky (not really a gym) and the pet shop. It's in a VERY bad area, so take a cab and keep the meter running. Snap a couple of photos and get out of there!

Something very Philly is Wawa. It's a 7-11 that makes sandwiches to order - and they're GOOD!

If it's your first visit, get a guidebook or look up the touristy stuff online because that will all be of interest. Liberty Bell, Independence hall, Betsy Ross house, Eastern State Penetentiary. Center City is very safe and easily walkable. Have a great time!
Yes - WaWa is awesome! They have them dotted around the NY/NJ/PA area; quite a lot on the roadsides.

Subway has nothing on these guys!

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/Default.aspx
Old 27.04.2014, 11:27 AM
Pro

We went to Philly last year for the Cowboys game. Besides all of the above tips, you can also do the Mural Mile. Takes you round the streets to about 20 different murals, plus a few good bars, including a great German beer house at the end.
Old 28.04.2014, 12:18 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxonrox View Post
We went to Philly last year for the Cowboys game. Besides all of the above tips, you can also do the Mural Mile. Takes you round the streets to about 20 different murals, plus a few good bars, including a great German beer house at the end.
Frankford Hall is very awesome if you're into German beer gardens. A lot of fun!
Old 22.06.2014, 10:19 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Guys - been a while since I came on this thread, but I'm now in serious planning mode and just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. They're great.

You'll be happy to hear I got tickets to the Eagles - Jets pre-season game, so hopefully will see Mike Vick in action, if not many of the Eagles starters!

Can't wait!

Tags
2014 , eagles , nfl , pre-season , tickets