Best Wembley game of the 2014 season? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

View Poll Results: Best Wembley game of the 2014 season?
Miami Dolphins @ Oakland Raiders 25 31.65%
Detroit Lions @ Atlanta Falcons 42 53.16%
Dallas Cowboys @ Jacksonville Jaguars 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02.12.2013, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Default Best Wembley game of the 2014 season?

My dad's 50th is coming up in September and we're planning a trip down to London for one of the games, but I'm struggling to decide which one to go for. Neither my team or his is playing (Broncos/49ers) and it's meant to be a surprise so I can't go prying into 2nd/3rd favourites etc. I've not been into the NFL for too long myself so I'm not sure what to expect really from most of the teams that are coming over and I don't fancy travelling ~600 miles for something that's likely going to end up 3-0.

So basically, I'm just wondering what game people think will be the most objectively interesting/exciting to watch?

Last edited by anmaclean; 02.12.2013 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.12.2013, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

It's hard to tell a year in advance with any certainty. Teams can change quite significantly in the space of 12 months. Look at this years KC Chiefs compared to last for an example.

Also Atlanta aren't fairing anything like as well as most expected this season compared to last, but that's still not to say they can't or won't come next season.

If you're only going to one game next season, then I honestly doubt you'd regret choosing any of those. There are different 'selling points' for each of them.
Old 02.12.2013, 06:29 PM
Team Captain

I voted Dolphins @ Raiders (no surprise there). The main reasons are - the game is at the end of September (so weather wise it is more likely to be a nice weekend). Both teams have a large UK fan base (better atmosphere). Both are long time AFC rivals (so tradition plays a part). The UK Black Hole should be interesting with a number of notable US fans hoping to come over - GorillaRilla, Dr Death etc...

I suppose my 2nd choice would be Lions @ Falcons good NFC rivalry (Lions are looking good this year) but played at the end of October so a bit hit and miss with the weather.

Don't get me wrong the Cowboys @ Jaguars game will be well supported. The Jags support should have expanded more by then and the Cowboys are loved and loathed in equal measure. Again being played in November the weather could be an issue. If staying overnight hotel room prices are likely to be cheaper.
Old 02.12.2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

It's a good point about the time of the year potentially being a factor. I enjoyed going to the Vikes/Steelers game without having to wrap up warm in a coat and hat! And I'm convinced the Dolphins/Raiders should have the best atmosphere.

Lions and Falcons game probably will showcase more talent on the field than the other 2 games... but that does not necessarilly make for a great game. And the Falcons have been a huge disappointment this year, so the Lions/Falcons game is suddenly not looking quite such a marquee matchup that it was looking a few weeks ago. As Steve said though, a lot can change in the NFL in 12 months.
Old 02.12.2013, 10:56 PM
Pro Bowler

I voted the lions falcons game. Think will showcase the best talent. Think the falcons will bounce back next year and are likely to get a rather high draft pick because of this season.
I think that will be the best game. Even though I am most looking forward to the jags cowboys game. Only so I can boo romo and darth jones
Old 03.12.2013, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I do know how unpredictable the season can be from year to year but I just don't want to end up going down for a game that probably everyone apart from me knew was going to be gash, haha. At the end of the day, the atmosphere is what's really important. You can appreciate a good game from your cosy living room with a beer, but it's the excitement and hype that doesn't necessarily filter through. I also hadn't even thought about the weather so that's a good shout, moonbeam.

I'm really grateful for your opinions, guys, so keep 'em coming.
Old 03.12.2013, 07:45 PM
GOAT

Dolphins - Raiders. I voted this simply because:

A: I am a Miami Supporter
B: The fan bases are huge
C: The weather will be great (hopefully)
D: The atmosphere will be amazing - probably the best of the lot imho
Old 03.12.2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
Dolphins - Raiders. I voted this simply because:

A: I am a Miami Supporter
B: The fan bases are huge
C: The weather will be great (hopefully)
D: The atmosphere will be amazing - probably the best of the lot imho

Good reasons, but you missed out the Raiders winning.

Mark
Old 03.12.2013, 07:55 PM
Pro Bowler

To be honest I don't think we'll have any weak games next year, I even expect the jags to be stronger.

And let's be honest the Vikings v steelers should have been a poor one on paper yet it was great
Old 03.12.2013, 07:58 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider12 View Post
Good reasons, but you missed out the Raiders winning.

Mark
I just spat coffee everywhere..

Tags
cowboys , international series , jaguars , lions , raiders