2016 Regent Street and Fan Rally - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.04.2016, 09:29 AM
JGregory's Avatar
JGregory JGregory is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 09.09.2015
Posts: 13
Smile 2016 Regent Street and Fan Rally

I have tickets for the Jags vs Colts game this year and it will be my first time going to one of the International Series Games.

I'm going with 2 old school friends and want to know if any old heads have any idea of a timetable of events for things separate to the game? What is on on the Saturday? I'm trying to work out which and how many nights to get a hotel for. Are the events worth making a weekend of it for?

Basically, any advice for NFL related events which aren't the actual game would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 19.04.2016, 09:59 AM
RUN RUN RICKY's Avatar
RUN RUN RICKY RUN RUN RICKY is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 487
Default

Hi there!

The Saturday events leading up to the games are not usually announced until much later in the year (sometimes only a few weeks before the game).

With the Colts v Jags game being the first of the 2016 games, the likelihood is that NFLUK will hold a 'Fan Rally' on Regent Street or in Trafalgar Square the day before the game. Have a look on the 'events' link on the website to see what those are about if you're unsure.

Some grumps on here may tell you it's not worth it, but from my experience they've been pretty fantastic - if you're lucky you can get an opportunity to see/meet some true NFL legends and current players as well as hang out and chat with thousands of other NFL fans. It definitely makes more of a weekend of it and builds up a lot of excitement for the game the next day.

Depending on where you're travelling from, I'd say you would need accommodation for the Saturday night at the least. The Saturday events usually start about 11am/12pm so there could be time to travel to London on Saturday. Again, this is just going by past years' events as nothing has been announced for this year.

Plus with the game being a 2.30pm kickoff, you could travel back that evening after the game as there is usually no 'official' event planned afterwards.

I'm assuming you and your friends are new to the NFL? Try to get as involved as possible in the weekend, it's a lot of fun and you should have a great time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.04.2016, 03:14 PM
JGregory's Avatar
JGregory JGregory is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 09.09.2015
Posts: 13
Default

Thanks RUN RUN RICKY for your great advice!

Two of us will be travelling from Nottingham and one from Birmingham.

By the looks of it then, we'll try to go down on Saturday a.m. and come back on Sunday evening after the game.

We're not new to the sport necessarily, just pretty recent graduates who all have jobs now and have never had the finances to support / justify a trip to London like this before.

Will certainly be getting as stuck in as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.04.2016, 03:52 PM
RUN RUN RICKY's Avatar
RUN RUN RICKY RUN RUN RICKY is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 487
Default

You're very welcome!

I do the trip from Nottingham too - it's very easy. Once the game finishes, leave yourself a good 90 mins to get out the stadium and to St Pancras for the train as 85,000 people can cause a bit of a queue for the tube!

A 2.30pm game should be done by 5.45pm so return trips from about 7.15pm onwards are definitely do-able.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.04.2016, 05:19 PM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN RUN RICKY View Post
You're very welcome!

I do the trip from Nottingham too - it's very easy. Once the game finishes, leave yourself a good 90 mins to get out the stadium and to St Pancras for the train as 85,000 people can cause a bit of a queue for the tube!

A 2.30pm game should be done by 5.45pm so return trips from about 7.15pm onwards are definitely do-able.
I disagree, I think thats cutting it. 3h 15 is quicker than any game at London I remember. I'd work on a half 6 finish, and whilst that could get you to St Pancras in time, I wouldnt risk it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.04.2016, 11:54 AM
Dancin's Avatar
Dancin Dancin is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.04.2016
Posts: 51
Default

I'm hoping the Fan Rally will be held for the Redskins game but I'm not holding out much hope.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.04.2016, 02:00 PM
jonno's Avatar
jonno jonno is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 28.01.2004
Posts: 1,863
Default

The Trafalgar Square fan rally is nicely done, mainly full of actual NFL fans - UK, European and Americans all in one place. You can pop in and out of it if you wish as there are plenty of pubs by and generally there's pretty good atmosphere around the place. The square holds up to about 18,000 I think so over the course of the day they say 40,000 people come through the gates.

The Regent Street one is more a damp squib (literally last year with the rain) it's very spread out down Regents St and just feels it's more to make some noise and attention about the NFL amongst the busiest shopping space in Europe as opposed to giving actual fans the best experience. Also it gets busy, 600,000 'fans' attend this.

A couple of years ago they did try to do something outside of Wembley before the Cowboys v Jags game but only a small crowd turned up so last year I think they scrapped it for the third game.
This guy normally sets up pre-game parties in bars in London the day before the game so worth checking out his feed... https://twitter.com/danidelavega
The Colts one is here... https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/d/unite...y/?mode=search
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.04.2016, 06:57 AM
iainbg's Avatar
iainbg iainbg is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 14.02.2008
Posts: 97
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
The Trafalgar Square fan rally is nicely done, mainly full of actual NFL fans - UK, European and Americans all in one place. You can pop in and out of it if you wish as there are plenty of pubs by and generally there's pretty good atmosphere around the place. The square holds up to about 18,000 I think so over the course of the day they say 40,000 people come through the gates.

The Regent Street one is more a damp squib (literally last year with the rain) it's very spread out down Regents St and just feels it's more to make some noise and attention about the NFL amongst the busiest shopping space in Europe as opposed to giving actual fans the best experience. Also it gets busy, 600,000 'fans' attend this.

A couple of years ago they did try to do something outside of Wembley before the Cowboys v Jags game but only a small crowd turned up so last year I think they scrapped it for the third game.
This guy normally sets up pre-game parties in bars in London the day before the game so worth checking out his feed... https://twitter.com/danidelavega
The Colts one is here... https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/d/unite...y/?mode=search
The Cowboys Jags thing was ideal if you were staying in the area, but to be fair there was nothing much different than the tailgate on the Sunday. Think that was done that year as the Cowboys let us in for their walk through in the morning. I have only done the fan rally once and had a great time. If its a first time at an NFL London game you need to embrace it all. We spend every Sunday in front of the TV but for these 3 weekends we are part of NFL Sunday and I for 1 love it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.04.2016, 10:44 AM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

I much prefer Regents street over the fan rally. Much more space, Trafalgar square is fine if you are watching the stage but otherwise its just a scrum
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.07.2016, 08:28 PM
BigTone's Avatar
BigTone BigTone is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 11.09.2003
Posts: 2,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I much prefer Regents street over the fan rally. Much more space, Trafalgar square is fine if you are watching the stage but otherwise its just a scrum
Regent Street on Saturday will be held this year for the Jags - Colts game.

Any NFLUK-organised Saturday events for the other games are yet to be confirmed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
international series , london

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:00 PM.