Raiders 2012 - Rebuild or Play offs - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Sponsored Links

Old 04.05.2012, 08:56 PM
Team Captain

Default Raiders 2012 - Rebuild or Play offs

Raiders 2012 rebuild or experimental season?

For me this year is not about rebuilding, as a team with 8 wins stands a chance of the playoffs in the AFC west.

While it is sad to see the end of the Davis era, I love the new ethos of the Raiders management. Mckenzie and Allen appear to be on same page, coaching decisions seem to be improvements, Drafting on ability and attitude as opposed to just speed or size. I am excited about the draft picks, even the risks appear to be students of the game with good attitudes and potential. Dropping over paid projects/players and those that pick money over the team.

The raiders are going the right way. My only concern is depth, a couple of injuries and our season could be over, quickly...agree/disagree?
Sponsored Links
Old 04.05.2012, 11:18 PM
MVP

Largely agree.

We stand a chance, for sure. Great weapons and a QB that can make things happen out of nothing by himself.

But I'd suggest that our pass rush is looking a little bit one dimentional, without a replacement for Wimbley (Von Miller was key to Allen's success with Donks), and we don't really have the 3-4 OLB's to have great success with 'multiple looks'.

Also, I have some question marks about shuffling our O-Line the way we have. Satele was a solid player, Wizz was working well with Veldheer on the left, and Carlisle has been past his sell-by for like 2 seasons already.

If I didn't think Jackson and Bresnahan were absolute cretins that were holding the team back, I'd suggest this was a purely developmental season, but because I believe we can look forward to vastly superior gameplanning (and in-game adjustments), we might push the Chiefs (imo the best in our div) all the way.
Old 04.05.2012, 11:34 PM
MVP

I would say this is clearly a rebuilding year, that doesn't mean they can't challenge for the division. Seems a bit strange to me to believe these two things are mutually exclusive.

The whole organisation is being rebuilt - from top to bottom. Of course this was never going to happen in one off season. McKenzie & Allen were never going to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. They are in a position this year of not knowing exactly what they have got in the playing staff, they were clearly going to spend some time in assessing the players according to their model - everyone is on notice in Oakland that's for sure.

Year 2 will see even more change if players fail to perform or stay healthy. This is year 1 of the rebuilding programme. It's still possible the Raiders can challenge for the division under the new coaches/systems (the odds are against it however).

Rebuilding does not mean deliberately canning the season.
Old 04.05.2012, 11:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smograider View Post
This is year 1 of the rebuilding programme. It's still possible the Raiders can challenge for the division under the new coaches/systems (the odds are against it however).

Good points, I would point out that for all the extensive changes being instrumented, almost all key players have been retained, and so has Al Saunders, the architect of almost everything good that came out of last season. I'm also quite certain that every defensive player will be very glad to see the back of Bresnahan and to a degree Al's Man2Man philosophy. Imo, things are reasonably stable at the playing level, which is what counts most for results.

In a way it's going to be year 2 that could prove the most dramatic, with the coaching staff likely to have more leeway with McKenzie than any of the other incumbent players on big wages.
Old 05.05.2012, 12:14 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuma2 View Post
In a way it's going to be year 2 that could prove the most dramatic, with the coaching staff likely to have more leeway with McKenzie than any of the other incumbent players on big wages.
Agreed, I think Year 2 will be the most dramatic certainly regarding contracts - I mean, do you see McKenzie stumping up $5 mil for a punter for example? I don't. I have a feeling the Raiders will surprise a few people with how competitive they are this year, the majority of players are effectively in a 'contract year' - we have all seen how much of a motivator that can be.
Old 05.05.2012, 08:08 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
I would say this is clearly a rebuilding year, that doesn't mean they can't challenge for the division. Seems a bit strange to me to believe these two things are mutually exclusive.

I agree with a lot of your post but the reason i define a difference between competing and rebulding is not that teams and players don't try to win. It's that they don't seem to win. I can't recall any rebuilding team that won anything duriing the rebuilding years.

Which is why i found the question worth asking.

There are many players (for the first time) truly battling for a spot on the Raiders team and others due breakout years, there is masses of potential and project players and with only few injuries there is a chance to put up a good fight for the division title. Except the other teams in the division have all improved greatly over the off season too.
Old 19.05.2012, 01:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:

The whole organisation is being rebuilt - from top to bottom. Of course this was never going to happen in one off season. McKenzie & Allen were never going to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. They are in a position this year of not knowing exactly what they have got in the playing staff, they were clearly going to spend some time in assessing the players according to their model - everyone is on notice in Oakland that's for sure.

Year 2 will see even more change if players fail to perform or stay healthy. This is year 1 of the rebuilding programme. It's still possible the Raiders can challenge for the division under the new coaches/systems (the odds are against it however).

Got to agree with everything Smograider says.
Old 04.09.2012, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Definate rebuilding, will take 2-3 years of solid drafts and good fa moves to get us contending.

not sure Palmer is the man to take us there, but he might be the bridge between now and the future, possibly Prior?.

Front seven of the D looks ok, esp the D-line, servicable cornerbacks and in my opinion an underated set of safeties

Offence, your guess is as good as mine, If Dmac stays health (and england beat germany on penalties, cats love dogs, and Tom Brady doesnt moan about being grazed on the head) then we have a shout at scoring regularly.

WR's look good for the future, but DHB is classed as the veteren, TE, again anything could happen, but im not expecting much.

Special teams, which were a real strength the last couple of years have looked awful in pre-season, Seabass can kick still as can lechler, but the rest have been a shambles, returning and return D has been dreadful

So all in all i havnt a clue, we could be this years 49's, or we could be this years Colts.

but i think the future looks good Reggie will build a club, not just a team, foundations being made, the future looks good!

buckle in and enjoy the ride
Old 04.09.2012, 04:58 PM
Team Captain

I see this season as more of a rebuilding one, however I would probably describe it more as a bridge season, with next year being for rebuilding.

Those players we have brought in are to start this year, but are only on 1-year contracts (Bartell, Spencer, Wheeler for example)
We have a lot of promising youngsters that have just started to show what they can do: Ford, Moore, Wizz, Veldheer.

I think Year 2 will be the rebuilding year, where we may see the Seymours / Palmers of the team - having been assessed - replaced by this regimes choice of players
Old 06.09.2012, 03:05 PM
All Pro

Rebuilding.

Tough year I think. Not as confident as some posters re. Palmer and think we're thin behind quite a lot of starters.

Hate to say this but with Al gone it might be that we start making more impact through savvy drafting; we've been shocking in this respect for a long time.

Our division though is wide open and part of me wants to see a playoff run and part thinks that would mean lower draft choices and continued future mediocrity. I know its a bit defeatist but I'd love to see Barkley suit up in the Silver & Black.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 06.09.2012 at 03:08 PM.

Tags
2012 , oakland , raiders