Scotland Fans - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 20.06.2012, 09:32 AM
Pro

Default Scotland Fans

hi, this will be my first visit to the international game at wembley, i am looking for some help in booking train tickets to london(cheapest possible). i am travelling down on fri and back home on the monday(staying in king's cross). is there a specific line or train company i should use. any help on this would be brill, and if there are any more fans leaving from glasgow on the friday we could all hopefully get the same train and have a few beers. cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 20.06.2012, 11:11 AM
Team Captain

What Mike says is spot on. Both Virgin and East Coast rail companies run from Glasgow Central and booking 12 weeks in advance you'll probably get the tickets for less than £20 each way.

I'm also going down Friday-Monday, should be great.

EDIT: This post makes me look psychic. I am.

Last edited by IainNYJ; 20.06.2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 20.06.2012, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainto72 View Post
hi, this will be my first visit to the international game at wembley, i am looking for some help in booking train tickets to london(cheapest possible). i am travelling down on fri and back home on the monday(staying in king's cross). is there a specific line or train company i should use. any help on this would be brill, and if there are any more fans leaving from glasgow on the friday we could all hopefully get the same train and have a few beers. cheers
Let's try this again, see if the whole post appears this time...

Virgin Trains go direct from Glasgow Central to London Euston, think there's a train every hour and it takes around 4 and a half hours. Advance tickets go on sale around 12 weeks in advance and usually work out much cheaper than paying on the day. Virgin Trains have a best fares finder on their website which shows you the cheapest tickets available for whatever time of day you want to travel.
Old 20.06.2012, 11:16 AM
Rookie

Also if you're staying in Kings Cross, it's either a short walk or tube/bus journey from Euston to your hotel. As a rough guide, Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras stations are less than a 10 minute walk along Euston Road
Old 20.06.2012, 12:20 PM
Team Captain

Do nothing until 12 weeks before your departure. Then check on the virgin, national rail enqujiries and eastcoast websites for cheap advance fares. It might not be exactly 12 weeks, it could be 11 weeks and 5 days, etc. but just keep checking every day.

It is always always cheaper to pay in advance, even if you don't get the cheapest advance tickets there are then saver tickets and even an off peak return bought the day before travel will be a hell of a lot cheaper than turning up and paying on the day. You should be able to get 2 seperate singles (making a return) for a total of £60 or even less if you get lucky with a really cheap advance.

East Coast go to Kings Cross (although few trains leave from Glasgow now and require a change at Edinburgh) and Virgin to Euston but depite staying in Kings Cross you can still get there on foot no bother from Euston.
Old 20.06.2012, 01:00 PM
Pro Bowler

hello friend, train tickets go on sale 13 weeks before travelling, im going down friday to monday from edinburgh and ive purchased a friends and family railcard, early checks and im looking to pay
Old 20.06.2012, 01:04 PM
Pro Bowler

Talking

my bloody pc is playing up, im looking to pay
Old 20.06.2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

All the advice given is sound here. I always use Virgin when heading to London comfortable and also if you book earlier enough good value.

Mark
Old 20.06.2012, 08:36 PM
All Pro

I'm not going this year but if you follow the advice already given you will be sorted. Sure it's 13 weeks though and not 12 and remember to book singles not returns.
Old 20.06.2012, 08:38 PM
Team Captain

Have used both Virgin and East Coast, from Motherwell.

East Coast was cheaper, but they've stopped the service going past Edinburgh except for once or twice a day, and at stupidly early or late hours too, so will need a connecting train/bus/whatever if you're travelling from Glasgow.

Virgin are still travelling from Glasgow almost every hour, as said above (although annoyingly for me, only stopping at Motherwell at stupid times of the day), so it looks like we'll be going for the this time around.

I've been scanning the sites recently, trying to gauge the best time to book - we didn't go last year, and used East Coast last time, since when the train timetables and services have changed - and Virgin just emailed me today after I asked them about their new timetable and when the advance fares come out. Their current timetable only runs to September, and they said the new one will be out 2 weeks before that. Bit weird, considering you book the advance tickets 12 weeks in advance.

Oh, and they release the advance tickets daily, so be quick 12 weeks before, first thing in the morning, and you should be able to get a single for less than £20 if the prices are on a par with 2 years ago.

Tags
glasgow , london , scotland , train travel , wembley