2018 Season - Page 19 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 24.10.2018, 03:02 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinTheAardvark View Post
The Giants have traded DT Damon “Snacks” Harrison to Detroit for a 5th round pick. A steal for the Lions imo.

another stupid trade, this time an elite level talent for literally nothing.

theres rebuilding and then theres ruining a team.
Sponsored Links
Old 24.10.2018, 03:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Broncos released Chad Kelly after his recent 'indiscretions'
Old 24.10.2018, 04:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Like Snacks as a player but when you dig into it, it makes some sense.

Yes hes one of the best run stuffers in the league but the league is really a passing league.
He's 30, plays <70% of snaps, gets little pressure on the QB and was due $8m in 2019 and $10m in 2020.
You cant say "build around the guy" when he shows no real leadership and in fact refuses the opportunity to be a team captain in the off season.
A 5th is on the cheap side. A 4th would be more reasonable.
People talking about shouldve been a 3rd are dreaming somewhat.
A players trade value is what someones willing to give up. Players on a team thats gone 4-19 since last september tend not to hold much trade value and if there is no bidding war (like Cooper) its pretty difficult get "value". Also, every fan over values the players on their teams roster compared to "true" trade worth.
If he was still here at the seasons end he wouldve been cut to save on the cap (current 2019 cap space is $27.4, 20th in the league after the todays move). A 5th rounder is still worth more than zilch.

The pre-season talk was of one more run this year with Eli and co. aka Plan A. Come week 5 reality has set in and you have to turn to plan B, something the team failed to be active about last Oct, instead dragging their feet over many issues.

Do i like the moves of the last couple of days? Not massively, but i can at least see where this is going which, to me is better than previous years.
I hope the team is preparing to bring Lauletta into the fold after the bye and give themselves sufficient time to assess his ability ahead of next year. If they dont give Lauletta game time, then the recent moves become slightly more puzzling.

FWIW Eli counts as $6.2m in dead money, with $17m in cap saving in 2019 if he is a pre- June 1 cut.
Old 24.10.2018, 05:38 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Like Snacks as a player but when you dig into it, it makes some sense.

Yes hes one of the best run stuffers in the league but the league is really a passing league.
He's 30, plays <70% of snaps, gets little pressure on the QB and was due $8m in 2019 and $10m in 2020.
You cant say "build around the guy" when he shows no real leadership and in fact refuses the opportunity to be a team captain in the off season.
A 5th is on the cheap side. A 4th would be more reasonable.
People talking about shouldve been a 3rd are dreaming somewhat.
A players trade value is what someones willing to give up. Players on a team thats gone 4-19 since last september tend not to hold much trade value and if there is no bidding war (like Cooper) its pretty difficult get "value". Also, every fan over values the players on their teams roster compared to "true" trade worth.
If he was still here at the seasons end he wouldve been cut to save on the cap (current 2019 cap space is $27.4, 20th in the league after the todays move). A 5th rounder is still worth more than zilch.

The pre-season talk was of one more run this year with Eli and co. aka Plan A. Come week 5 reality has set in and you have to turn to plan B, something the team failed to be active about last Oct, instead dragging their feet over many issues.

Do i like the moves of the last couple of days? Not massively, but i can at least see where this is going which, to me is better than previous years.
I hope the team is preparing to bring Lauletta into the fold after the bye and give themselves sufficient time to assess his ability ahead of next year. If they dont give Lauletta game time, then the recent moves become slightly more puzzling.

FWIW Eli counts as $6.2m in dead money, with $17m in cap saving in 2019 if he is a pre- June 1 cut.

i get it from a cap view but he does have a positive impact and while not someone to build a future on he can still lead the younger fellas by example.

but then we also decided to ship a young player at an area of need who still had potential.

we moved JPP in the off season and he looks far from done.

he wastes plenty of space and so far DG has been missing on his FAs.

its kind of annoying to have been right all those times i got very mad at JRs picks, at least if he was right we would have a team

hopefully he gets a shot but behind this line its going to be ugly.
Old 24.10.2018, 07:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
A team has to build around something, and Harrison's level of play and durability over recent years suggests he'd be better than most on that roster to keep.
I see that side of it, but if you are going down the rebuild path then you might as well do all the clearing out at once.

It's not in the 'spirit' of the game but you might as well go 1-15 than 4-12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Broncos released Chad Kelly after his recent 'indiscretions'
Considering the red flags he had coming out of college he did well to last this long without getting into trouble.

Probably didn't help that he never saw the field. Not saying he should have been, but if you're a starting QB I'm guessing that takes up most of your time and keeps you away from this sort of stuff.
Old 25.10.2018, 08:32 AM
MVP

I dont get rebuilding if the assets you trade away only bring in 4th or 5th round picks. What are you realistically going to do with those? You're unlikely to bring in anyone of real talent.
Old 25.10.2018, 08:53 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
I dont get rebuilding if the assets you trade away only bring in 4th or 5th round picks. What are you realistically going to do with those? You're unlikely to bring in anyone of real talent.
It gives younger players you already have on your roster more opportunities to develop.
It obviously creates cap space to be spent elsewhere.
It isn't easy, but you can find talented players on day 3 of the draft.
It gives you more flexibility to trade up in the draft.
It gives you more flexibility to trade for veteran players.
Old 25.10.2018, 06:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
its extra draft picks that you can use to move up the draft board but it doesn't matter what you have if you miss on those valuable high draft picks.

the Giants like the Raiders can be selling now but there fan bases will expect a great 2019 draft class.

the next question should be will Eli be the starter on opening day in 2019???
Old 25.10.2018, 07:59 PM
MVP

so seems the NFL have fired the down judge Hugo Cruz who in the week 6 Chargers/Browns game missed a clear false start on a chargers TD play.seems harsh when you see plenty of other awful missed calls that don't get any kind of punishment for the officials after the fact.
Old 25.10.2018, 09:40 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so seems the NFL have fired the down judge Hugo Cruz who in the week 6 Chargers/Browns game missed a clear false start on a chargers TD play.seems harsh when you see plenty of other awful missed calls that don't get any kind of punishment for the officials after the fact.

surely there must of been more too it?

also of the missed false starts this season have been comical and it would be a lot of people to fire.

then theres the rest of the missed calls.