Old 08.11.2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Week 10. Giants @ 49ers.

Game thread .

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old 11.11.2018, 10:10 AM
Pro Bowler

The next step in Nick Mullens’ journey to the HoF...

Although there’s no real reason he can’t follow up last week’s heroics against a flimsy Giants’ Defense, I think he will take a big step back while Saquon Barkley drags New York to a scrappy win.

49ers 14 Giants 23
Old 11.11.2018, 11:59 AM
Hall of Fame

99/100 I'd be wanting the 9ers to win this one, but I want the Giants to win every game they can this year to push them down the draft order and away from the top QB's.

I know their O line has been bad but I really expected the Giants to be better than they have been this year.
Old 11.11.2018, 04:57 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
99/100 I'd be wanting the 9ers to win this one, but I want the Giants to win every game they can this year to push them down the draft order and away from the top QB's.

I know their O line has been bad but I really expected the Giants to be better than they have been this year.

the OL is beyond bad its a where all our issues start and end.

the play calling is also an issue.

people moan on about Eli but these issues have been the bigger problems and its had an impact on Barkley, if he wants to get even a yard he usually needs to beat 2 guys.
Old 13.11.2018, 05:18 AM
GOAT

nice to get a win even if it probably hurts us in the long run and its unlikely we go 9-7

but as i said before if the OL gives Eli half a chance he will get it done, we still lacked blocking in the running game though.

the D had a mixed night but made some big players and got the stop in the end, although i wonder what the result big of been with another 1 or 2 minutes.
Old 13.11.2018, 09:30 AM
Hall of Fame

Thought both teams were a mixed bag all night. Some big/good plays sprinkled over some average defence, and vice versa.

Eli got 'lucky' on some important plays in terms of flags being thrown. One late in the game that would have been short of the sticks on 3rd down to Barkley springs to mind. Admittedly he did make some decent throws to OBJ, but he seemed to force it his way at times too. Always a chance of a flag being thrown though so it's tough to be too critical.

Matt Brieda looks to have carved out a reasonable role in the 9ers offence moving forward. He was a good back at Georgia Southern, he just needed the chance to get consistent carries in the NFL.

Hopefully the Giants can grab a couple more victories somewhere down the line too, bar the Cowboys game obviously.
Old 13.11.2018, 04:59 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Thought both teams were a mixed bag all night. Some big/good plays sprinkled over some average defence, and vice versa.

Eli got 'lucky' on some important plays in terms of flags being thrown. One late in the game that would have been short of the sticks on 3rd down to Barkley springs to mind. Admittedly he did make some decent throws to OBJ, but he seemed to force it his way at times too. Always a chance of a flag being thrown though so it's tough to be too critical.

Matt Brieda looks to have carved out a reasonable role in the 9ers offence moving forward. He was a good back at Georgia Southern, he just needed the chance to get consistent carries in the NFL.

Hopefully the Giants can grab a couple more victories somewhere down the line too, bar the Cowboys game obviously.

its not really luck when the flag impacts the play.

i think there was only one real force pass to Beckham but he is a guy you need to try and force it too as he can make things happen and turn nothing into something.

i left the refs out of it but we got a couple of poor flags against us and some misses too.
Old 13.11.2018, 05:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
its not really luck when the flag impacts the play.

i think there was only one real force pass to Beckham but he is a guy you need to try and force it too as he can make things happen and turn nothing into something.

i left the refs out of it but we got a couple of poor flags against us and some misses too.
Flags play a big part in most games admittedly. I might be wrong but it felt like on the play I was thinking of Eli chose the wrong option (again, admittedly, Barkley isn't a bad 'wrong option' to choose). The odds were against him making it imo.
Old 13.11.2018, 06:08 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
There was at least 2 bad calls in favour of the Giants.
The was some moments of good stuff and some pretty bad (when you consider the opposition).
Was nice to get some turnovers in our favour.
Was nice that Eli wasnt under duress 90% of the time.
Good to see OBJ get in the endzone again and he couldve had a much better game statswise if it wasnt for the early drop and a couple of underthrown passes. Really good to see the video of him pre-game with Goodwin and his family, he really isnt the guy the majority media make him out to be.

Brieda and Kittle are good finds by the 49ers.
Whilst Brieda was obviously having a "hot" game, it seemed there was a "Snacks" sized hole on our run defence, causing the 49ers to look like they were going for 7+ yards every run.
Still a relative lack of variety on play calling. Think Shepherd was only involved in 2 or 3 plays and hes your WR2 (!)
Also, why Eli changed to a run play on 3 and goal from the 7(?) is beyond me. The 49ers had done a good job of slowing Barkley especially out of the shotgun.

A win is a win and it was nice to be the team with the late winning score for a change. I said back in august that this was a 4 to 7 win team (largely based on the rough schedule weeks 1-7) and i reckon 4 wins is still obtainable, starting with the Buccs at home Sunday.
Some people will gripe that winning means a drop down the draft order but potential picks are just that, potential. Also, the Raiders look likely to sow up no.1.
I'd much rather players on this roster were learning to fight it out for a win and get a taste for it whilst developing. The coaches and front office should also be in a better position to evaluate the roster, especially compared to this time last year when it was clear that aside from the players on IR, the majority of roster simply want good enough or didnt have the game time to show what they had.
Old 13.11.2018, 06:23 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Flags play a big part in most games admittedly. I might be wrong but it felt like on the play I was thinking of Eli chose the wrong option (again, admittedly, Barkley isn't a bad 'wrong option' to choose). The odds were against him making it imo.

its hard to know with the way our plays are called as passing to Barkley seems to be a key way to get him the ball.

on that final drive it did seem to be a case of them grabbing guys and just hoping to get away if it or not wanting to risk something bigger, like with that Barkley play, the guy is beat and hooks him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
There was at least 2 bad calls in favour of the Giants.
The was some moments of good stuff and some pretty bad (when you consider the opposition).
Was nice to get some turnovers in our favour.
Was nice that Eli wasnt under duress 90% of the time.
Good to see OBJ get in the endzone again and he couldve had a much better game statswise if it wasnt for the early drop and a couple of underthrown passes. Really good to see the video of him pre-game with Goodwin and his family, he really isnt the guy the majority media make him out to be.

Brieda and Kittle are good finds by the 49ers.
Whilst Brieda was obviously having a "hot" game, it seemed there was a "Snacks" sized hole on our run defence, causing the 49ers to look like they were going for 7+ yards every run.
Still a relative lack of variety on play calling. Think Shepherd was only involved in 2 or 3 plays and hes your WR2 (!)
Also, why Eli changed to a run play on 3 and goal from the 7(?) is beyond me. The 49ers had done a good job of slowing Barkley especially out of the shotgun.

A win is a win and it was nice to be the team with the late winning score for a change. I said back in august that this was a 4 to 7 win team (largely based on the rough schedule weeks 1-7) and i reckon 4 wins is still obtainable, starting with the Buccs at home Sunday.
Some people will gripe that winning means a drop down the draft order but potential picks are just that, potential. Also, the Raiders look likely to sow up no.1.
I'd much rather players on this roster were learning to fight it out for a win and get a taste for it whilst developing. The coaches and front office should also be in a better position to evaluate the roster, especially compared to this time last year when it was clear that aside from the players on IR, the majority of roster simply want good enough or didnt have the game time to show what they had.

which ones?

i think there was one softish one for Beckham but the fella did block him off and didnt turnover a deadly combo.

not just you but others are jumping on that play change but do they really know where that call came from. sure Eli is the one that moved the players but maybe if the 49ers lined up in a certain way he was told to change to a running play.

there was 1 underthrown but it was a bloody long throw and other top QBs miss those too, not even sure if Eli had the arm to get it to the perfect spot.