So........Pass Rush *sigh* - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 01.06.2016, 04:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Default So........Pass Rush *sigh*

In keeping with our QB woes of last season I thought I'd start a pass rush thread too ( ).

Lawrence suspended. Gregory suspended. Now rookie Maliek Collins breaks his foot and is side-lined for most of the Pre-Season.

Collins injury puts pay the idea of Tyrone Crawford playing some LDE until Lawrence returns I expect. Maybe David Irving sees more reps at DT. Signing Cedric Thornton in Free Agency looks an even better pick up now. Still, it's one less body, at least to begin with, to be part of the rotation.

When it rains it pours!
Old 02.06.2016, 09:05 PM
All Pro

Richard, have some optimism! now, we currently have 15 O Linemen on the roster, not too many i think, but, taking away 5 starters, and working on 9 spots for the final 53, plus Green leaves 3, Rooney as back up center/guard and Leary if he stays leaves 1 spot open. Wouldnt it be a better idea to open up more spots for DLs? you never know there could be a udfa gem out there or a free agent that could prove a godsend on the DLine given the fact we are not blessed with a pass rush, even without suspensions. Dont like the situation for the first 4 games, especially at Right End
Old 02.06.2016, 09:16 PM
All Pro

Can we afford Freeney?? talking of a godsend?
Old 03.06.2016, 09:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Richard, have some optimism! now, we currently have 15 O Linemen on the roster, not too many i think, but, taking away 5 starters, and working on 9 spots for the final 53, plus Green leaves 3, Rooney as back up center/guard and Leary if he stays leaves 1 spot open. Wouldnt it be a better idea to open up more spots for DLs? you never know there could be a udfa gem out there or a free agent that could prove a godsend on the DLine given the fact we are not blessed with a pass rush, even without suspensions. Dont like the situation for the first 4 games, especially at Right End
I'll have some optimism from week 5 onwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Can we afford Freeney?? talking of a godsend?
Ordinarily I'd say why bother, but given the situation if they can find a way to get him on board for a year it might indeed be a godsend. Even when the missing pieces return he could still give you 10-15 snaps a game.

David Irving can only 'plug' so many gaps. The expectation level for him continues to rise because of these injuries. Mayowa was brought in to be a rotational pass rusher I think, now he's being looked at as a starter.

Circling back round to the optimistic approach though..........with a year under his belt Ryan Russell could at least play a role against the run at LDE? Charles Tapper might be able to do the same on the otherside at RDE? Jack Crawford has shown flashes of what he can do in the past too. If one, or even better 2, of those guys can put together a good run of games early in the season then it might all work out well in the end............
Old 12.07.2016, 10:42 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I'll have some optimism from week 5 onwards!

Ordinarily I'd say why bother, but given the situation if they can find a way to get him on board for a year it might indeed be a godsend. Even when the missing pieces return he could still give you 10-15 snaps a game.

David Irving can only 'plug' so many gaps. The expectation level for him continues to rise because of these injuries. Mayowa was brought in to be a rotational pass rusher I think, now he's being looked at as a starter.

Circling back round to the optimistic approach though..........with a year under his belt Ryan Russell could at least play a role against the run at LDE? Charles Tapper might be able to do the same on the otherside at RDE? Jack Crawford has shown flashes of what he can do in the past too. If one, or even better 2, of those guys can put together a good run of games early in the season then it might all work out well in the end............
I think regardless of what happens this season, Gregory and DLaw will be back nxt, but Dline is priority in the draft
Old 03.08.2016, 06:51 PM
All Pro

Apparently Okoye is burning the place up, lets hope he carrys on and makes the roster, but i get the feeling hes just one of these blasters brought in to test the O Line and then gets cut as has been the case 3 times already-BUT circumstances the way they are he could at least make the practice squad as per Obada. He cant do any more than beat up the 2nd stringers and force Moore off the field!
Old 11.08.2016, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Hello guys,

my name's Joe. I'm a die hard Cowboys fan from Switzerland.

What do you think about the rumors to trade Learly to pick up a D-linemen?
Philly need one.

Ronald Leary is a starter in almost every NFL teams, because our lack in pass rush, -will see that after the preseason games- I think it would be good if we can pick up a backup QB, linebacker or Dlinemen.
Old 11.08.2016, 08:21 PM
All Pro

Hello Joe, trading Leary would be a mistake IMO, but could happen, especially in trade for a vet QB rather than a DL man, if it had to happen, i like Mettenberger
Old 12.08.2016, 10:05 AM
Hall of Fame

The Leary trade is a possibility, but it depends, as always, on what's on offer.

Not 100% sure what compensation the Cowboys would get if he left as a UFA at the end of his current deal. That could be the deciding factor in any trade.

The Cowboys have been pretty fortunate in terms of having a healthy O line for a while now. Would it be all that surprising if they traded for a back up QB then Collins or Martin went down injured? It's been that kind of off season. Then they'd have a back up QB holding a clipboard and a no quality back up guard to plug the gap on the O line.

Personally, I don't think they'll get the quality of player they want for Leary. If they want to 'win now' then it has to be a player who can contribute, not a draft pick, not a back up. I don't see many potential trade partners at this stage of the off season, maybe after a few injuries elsewhere things might start to change?
Old 29.09.2016, 08:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Charles Tapper moved to IR. Another one bites the dust.