Travelling to Super Bowl 49, Phoenix - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 15.07.2014, 03:57 PM
Rookie

Default Travelling to Super Bowl 49, Phoenix

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice. Myself and my wife are travelling to Las Vegas in late Jan, early Feb for her 30th birthday... and it just so happens to be Super Bowl 49 just down the road in Phoenix! We have priced return flights from Vegas, but are struggling to decide on hotel options, and what area of Phoenix to stay on Super Bowl weekend.
We have travelled to Dallas to watch the Cowboys, Tampa to watch the Bucs and NO to watch the Saints, so we have experience of travelling for NFL. But no idea where to start in Phoenix!!
Has anybody ever been to a Super Bowl before? Has anyone been to a Cardinals game? Please share your thoughts!!
Any help or advice would be great!
Old 15.07.2014, 06:24 PM
Pro Bowler

Lucky Lucky Lucky
Old 15.07.2014, 11:27 PM
Hall of Fame

Could be of interest http://phoenix.about.com/od/superbow...-Bowl-2015.htm
Old 16.07.2014, 07:41 AM
All Pro

Ive been to a few Cardinals games.

I usually stay in Tempe, which is around ASU, good bars etc, really like it there and is the place Id recommend for a regular game. This being the Superbowl however, there will be more going on at the stadium outside of gam day id have thought.

I have never even ventured into downtown Phoenix on any visit, and wouldn't bother.

Scottsdale is what Id call the higher class area, nicer area, does have bars etc.

The stadium itself is in Glendale. There are hotels nearby, and usually stop in one on the day of the game itself, though Id say these will be long gone. Around that area is where id expect the most activity with regards to the Superbowl, and there are a number of Bars in a purpose built bar area.

Id be surprised if you could get a hotel in Glendale now, so you may end up looking at Tempe or Scottsdale, both are about 30 minutes drive from the stadium on a good day. Id say anywhere from $50-$100 cab fare.
Old 16.07.2014, 08:59 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b182dammit View Post
Ive been to a few Cardinals games.

I usually stay in Tempe, which is around ASU, good bars etc, really like it there and is the place Id recommend for a regular game. This being the Superbowl however, there will be more going on at the stadium outside of gam day id have thought.

I have never even ventured into downtown Phoenix on any visit, and wouldn't bother.

Scottsdale is what Id call the higher class area, nicer area, does have bars etc.

The stadium itself is in Glendale. There are hotels nearby, and usually stop in one on the day of the game itself, though Id say these will be long gone. Around that area is where id expect the most activity with regards to the Superbowl, and there are a number of Bars in a purpose built bar area.

Id be surprised if you could get a hotel in Glendale now, so you may end up looking at Tempe or Scottsdale, both are about 30 minutes drive from the stadium on a good day. Id say anywhere from $50-$100 cab fare.
Not 100% sure but I thought I heard Super Bowl week will be elsewhere than Glendale. Phoenix or Scottsdale I think it said.
Old 16.07.2014, 09:59 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMackem View Post
Not 100% sure but I thought I heard Super Bowl week will be elsewhere than Glendale. Phoenix or Scottsdale I think it said.
Ah, I don't know to be honest, I've not looked up anything about Superbowl week at all. If they don't have tickets to the game, this would be better really. Much nearer to other things going on, and likely easier to get a hotel.
Old 16.07.2014, 10:57 AM
All Pro

Phoenix is vast, spread out, and short on public transport. Unless there's a whole bunch of special public transport organised for the various Superbowl week events, you'll need a car if you're not going to stay out in Glendale.

Scottsdale/Tempe are convenient for the airport, and there are plenty of hotels/bars there. Sun Devil stadium (Tempe) is worth an "overlook" from outside if you stay in that area - fantastic setting.
Old 16.07.2014, 12:58 PM
All Pro

Me and Mrs T are hoping to go to Arizona in late 2015 and catch a regular season game too so thanks for the info so far in this thread.
Old 16.07.2014, 01:23 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithyT View Post
Me and Mrs T are hoping to go to Arizona in late 2015 and catch a regular season game too so thanks for the info so far in this thread.
Try and tie it in with a Sun Devils game if you can. Classic "old" stadium in a uniquie setting. Depending on how late in the year you go, you might need mega sun-block if any part of the game is during "sun up" daylight though.

Phoenix is more of a "Sun Devils" town than a "Cardinals" town anyway, though that's begun to change a bit in recent times.

Last edited by BigTone; 16.07.2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 16.07.2014, 05:59 PM
Starter

I've been to the Superbowl, I used NFL on location. Payments went to the NFL directly in New York. You can only get hospitality seats/pass deals but it was 100% worthwhile, very slick organisation and made the day even more special.

Tickets and special package it came with were delivered to my house in the UK by Fedex.

Tags
arizona , bowl , phoenix , super , superbowl