Shambles! - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 18.10.2018, 08:53 AM
Starter

Needless to say, like a couple of people mentioned, we ate somewhere else prior to arriving at the stadium, although I did pick up some sweet potato (not bad) inside during the game. Arrived roughly when the tailgate was being kicked out, but the queues to get into security and beyond (green area) were not bad, and it didn't take long to then sit in our seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno36 View Post
So how bad is it to get out of the stadium and on the tube after the game?
Depends when you leave. The mass exodus for the Seahawks Raiders game began with about 5 minutes left on the clock, exodus being probably the correct word with the sea of people, but it kept moving. Passed on one tube before getting on the next one, so didn't have to wait long, they do put on extra services post game.

Leave it longer though, for example to the final whistle, and you will be struggling. We often then just go to Wembley Central instead, or find a pub and have a drink for an hour before heading home, but as this was an evening game, we didn't have that luxury of waiting.
Old 18.10.2018, 09:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemers View Post
Needless to say, like a couple of people mentioned, we ate somewhere else prior to arriving at the stadium, although I did pick up some sweet potato (not bad) inside during the game. Arrived roughly when the tailgate was being kicked out, but the queues to get into security and beyond (green area) were not bad, and it didn't take long to then sit in our seats.

Depends when you leave. The mass exodus for the Seahawks Raiders game began with about 5 minutes left on the clock, exodus being probably the correct word with the sea of people, but it kept moving. Passed on one tube before getting on the next one, so didn't have to wait long, they do put on extra services post game.

Leave it longer though, for example to the final whistle, and you will be struggling. We often then just go to Wembley Central instead, or find a pub and have a drink for an hour before heading home, but as this was an evening game, we didn't have that luxury of waiting.

Thanks for the response.
Old 18.10.2018, 03:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwebster09 View Post
Wow that is bad! If it was within the limits I assume you tried to take it up with someone senior at the ground? Id be looking for a refund as a minimum!

My mate had his umbrella taken by security, which was tiny, but for some reason they are banned (so we though fair enough, our error), only to see loads of people with way bigger ones inside the ground!
Nobody gave an sh1t on the day, and nobody since either. On the day all I got told was it's the NFL's policy not Wembley Stadium, so when I questioned people with rucksacks I was told, they may need those on medical grounds, but more than anything a clutch bag is allowed!

I have tweeted regarding it to NFLUK, NFL and Wembley Stadium no surprise anything with NFL in the title gets no response and a typical PC bullsh1t from Wembley themselves.

What really grinds my gears is having to sit listening to representatives from the NFL going on about the fans this the fans that we have the best fans in the world, we appriciate our fans, we'd do anything for the fans.

I'm not after anything for nothing, I just want them to know this is not right and needs rectifying.
Old 18.10.2018, 07:20 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno36 View Post
So how bad is it to get out of the stadium and on the tube after the game?
The first twice we went straight to the tube and its a bit of a chew. Last few years gone for a pint or two, then the place is clear.
Old 18.10.2018, 07:24 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRaider View Post
Wow had a totally different experience to you guys

Arrived nice and early, parked in Red Zone car park, literally 100yds from our entrance

Walked to Tailgate area just in time for gates to open, queuing was ok, as you would expect for such a large event, no problems getting food or drinks. Merchandise store was standard, I was at Ryder Cup 2 weeks ago and marquee used was identical, no real delays.

Security getting in was fine, no different to any other major sporting event these days. After final whistle was back in car and on A40 within 15 minutes of leaving stadium.

Like others, not impressed with building work, the days of the iconic walk down "Wembley Way" are gone for ever
Bravo!!!
I've been the last 5 or 6 years and loved everything about it. Maybe it's because I go to lots of gigs and football matches and used to the prices and the organisation of big events.
Old 19.10.2018, 12:23 PM
Pro

Standard practice that security staff interpret the memo about what to let in. Probably bring your NFL flyer that came with tickets and take it up with the supervisor.

Got badly caught with the tube on Sunday once the whistle went. I suggest take the long way round past the side of Wembley Arena you eventually come out onto the main road that leads up to the tube station.
Old 19.10.2018, 02:00 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadcol View Post
Bravo!!!
I've been the last 5 or 6 years and loved everything about it. Maybe it's because I go to lots of gigs and football matches and used to the prices and the organisation of big events.
I have been to enough football matches (over 120 ground in the football league) and many many concerts to know that they put the prices up a little, but it doesn't mean that we should just blindly pay it though. I feel that an increase from £5.50 to £6.50 for a bad pint of Bud is a step to far. I choose to vote with my wallet. It looked like plenty of people were happy to pay it though. Its your money so feel free to spend it as you wish. Just because you may find overpricing acceptable, doesn't mean we all do.
Old 19.10.2018, 02:18 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwebster09 View Post
I have been to enough football matches (over 120 ground in the football league) and many many concerts to know that they put the prices up a little, but it doesn't mean that we should just blindly pay it though. I feel that an increase from £5.50 to £6.50 for a bad pint of Bud is a step to far. I choose to vote with my wallet. It looked like plenty of people were happy to pay it though. Its your money so feel free to spend it as you wish. Just because you may find overpricing acceptable, doesn't mean we all do.
I'll honest, if a game day experience costs into the hundreds of pounds as it would for most people then getting worked up a pound on a pint kinda feels like targeting the wrong thing if you are worried about saving money
Old 19.10.2018, 03:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I'll honest, if a game day experience costs into the hundreds of pounds as it would for most people then getting worked up a pound on a pint kinda feels like targeting the wrong thing if you are worried about saving money
It’s all relative though, if the ticket was £51 rather than £50 then I would see your point, but £1 increase on a pint is quite a jump in percentage terms and takes something from poor value to very poor value.
Old 19.10.2018, 09:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyh1991 View Post

Maybe going to watch an authentic game has ruined the IS for me or made me realise how tacky or poor it actually is...
This is how it is for me. Maybe I wouldn't phrase it in such strong terms - I wouldn't say 'ruined' and I wouldn't say the IS is 'tacky or poor'. But it isn't the real thing and once you've had a taste of the real thing the IS is never really the same - the atmosphere is flat and certain things just aren't as good/authentic as in the US. And to be honest, there isn't really anything they can do about that as long as it remains random neutral matchups. People are fans of 32 teams, not the 2 playing; we are all products of our environment and this is England, not US, so the game reflects that. It's not quite like-for-like but I know Americans who have seen Liverpool or Chelsea or whoever in the US on pre-season but they want to come here for the authentic experience.

Nowadays I just treat the IS as something to do and take it for what it is - a chance to have an afternoon out with some friends. I live in London so it's minimal effort and I've got used to going to Wembley for Spurs games anyway. I wouldn't travel in from far away for it anymore, and wouldn't want to miss a Steelers game for a random game. I've seen enough random games. So last week, I didn't go and I watched the Steelers and Bengals on Gamepass. This week we have a bye week so I found some re-sale tickets on Twickets and snapped them up fairly last minute and I hope to have a nice day out. Next weekend I'll stay home, might watch it on TV, and then watch the Steelers, and anyway I've got Spurs-Man City on the Monday night so that's enough for one weekend.

If the Steelers come again I'll splash out for some quality seats. I'm not expecting them to return anytime soon though. So I'll look forward to my next trip to America. Which unfortunately might not be for a few more years, but I look forward to it nonetheless. Interesting point: since I've been less able to travel abroad for sports for family reasons, I've gone to a lot more soccer games here. What I take from it is for me, sport is at its best when you have a rooting interest, someone you follow and want to win. Which the IS series can't give fans of 30 of the 32 teams on any given day. It's for another thread but that's why I'm in favour of a London franchise - to create that partisan atmosphere which makes the US games what they are.

Last edited by European Bob; 19.10.2018 at 09:24 PM.