AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs. - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 17.01.2019, 06:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
The 'miracle in Miami' looms large as it is the reason the game is at Arrowhead and not New England. As Olly has noted the Pats have been far better at home and a slow start against the KC offence could leave Brady too much to do.

I honestly don't think the Pats win this one and Mahomes goes to his first big dance but obviously will be cheering on my boys.
think so much depends on the 1st two Chiefs drives,if they get two scores(atleast 1TD) think we are in for a long evening but if we can get ahead on the score board and keep our power running option open we could be in for a game going down to the last drive with Brady hopefully having the ball and a chance to win.
Old 17.01.2019, 06:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Forecast is been updated again to what might be seen as normal January weather with no big freeze now and positive temperatures.
Disappointing. It's actually been a disappointing season full stop for cold weather football - not much of it compared to last season, for example. Though at the other end of the scale the Patriots and Jaguars played the hottest game for 15 years in week 2.
Old 17.01.2019, 06:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
The Patriots haven't won an AFC Championship game on the road for 14 years, when they beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Their last 5 Super Bowl appearances all came off the back of home conference game wins, while they have lost their last 3 road title games (Indianapolis and 2 in Denver).

The Chiefs meanwhile have never hosted the AFC title game before and only appeared in it once, in 1994, despite the trophy being named after their former owner Lamar Hunt. Their two Super Bowl appearances came as AFL champions, before the merger and the introduction of the conference championships.
to be fair to the Patriots in the last 13 years home teams are 11-2 in AFC Championship games so its not like only the Pats cant win this game on the road but would be nice for a road play-off win so we can stop mentioning that our last one was in 2006 in San Diego.

would it be the most Patriot thing to go and win the Lamar Hunt trophy in there home stadium.
Old 17.01.2019, 06:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Disappointing. It's actually been a disappointing season full stop for cold weather football - not much of it compared to last season, for example. Though at the other end of the scale the Patriots and Jaguars played the hottest game for 15 years in week 2.
yeah and with the NFC Chapionship/Superbowl in domes this was our last chance this season.

think we need more outdoor Superbowls and play them in the North once in a while.how great would a superbowl in Green Bay be for this generation.
Old 17.01.2019, 08:10 PM
Pro Bowler

I think this will come down to the Chiefs first two or three possessions if they can score and score fast I don't think the Patriots will be able to keep up, even though they scored fast last weekend.

Patriots 24 - 31 Chiefs.
Old 18.01.2019, 12:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
yeah and with the NFC Chapionship/Superbowl in domes this was our last chance this season.

think we need more outdoor Superbowls and play them in the North once in a while.how great would a superbowl in Green Bay be for this generation.
Have to say that personally I think Super Bowls should be played in the warm or indoors. It's the showpiece event and a neutral venue between two teams who normally aren't rivals and don't have much to do with each other. But I love the elements for the playoffs - home field advantage and a right that can be earned. For the Super Bowl I think the whole week should be a party for the fans so I'm not even really a fan of places like Minnesota or Indianapolis hosting as it's freezing outside for having a good time even if the game itself is indoors. I would limit Super Bowls to San Francisco, LA, San Diego (in theory), Vegas (once the stadium opens), Arizona, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami. More like the big college bowls. The time for the showpiece cold weather games is this weekend. Just a shame that in the NFC in particular nowadays almost the entire playoffs is indoors. That Giants-Packers NFC title game at Lambeau in the 2007 season was an all-time favourite of mine.
Old 18.01.2019, 12:38 PM
Team Captain

The Patriots may be in their 8th successive AFC Championship game, but they have 4 wins and 3 defeats from the last 7 and "only" 2 Super Bowl wins from those four wins so it is by no means guaranteed that they will win this game or the Super Bowl should they get through this one.

The Chiefs have been far better at home than on the road, and I won't be surprised if they come out on top.
Old 18.01.2019, 10:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The Patriots may be in their 8th successive AFC Championship game, but they have 4 wins and 3 defeats from the last 7 and "only" 2 Super Bowl wins from those four wins so it is by no means guaranteed that they will win this game or the Super Bowl should they get through this one.

The Chiefs have been far better at home than on the road, and I won't be surprised if they come out on top.
The Chiefs are 8-1 at home compared to 5-3 on the road. The Patriots are 9-0 at home compared to 3-5 on the road. So the Patriots' difference is starker. Someone said the Pats defense ranked 2nd at home and 29th on the road!
Old 19.01.2019, 06:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Chiefs are 8-1 at home compared to 5-3 on the road. The Patriots are 9-0 at home compared to 3-5 on the road. So the Patriots' difference is starker. Someone said the Pats defense ranked 2nd at home and 29th on the road!
maybe worth pointing out that the home schedule for the Chiefs outside there division where 49ers/Cardinal/Bengals/Jags/Ravens so add in the Broncos/Raiders/Chargers you have what 2 play-off teams 6 teams picking in the 1st 11 picks in the 2019 draft.

reports are that Eric Berry should play this week but how healthy he is will only be known once the game starts.
Old 19.01.2019, 06:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Have to say that personally I think Super Bowls should be played in the warm or indoors. It's the showpiece event and a neutral venue between two teams who normally aren't rivals and don't have much to do with each other. But I love the elements for the playoffs - home field advantage and a right that can be earned. For the Super Bowl I think the whole week should be a party for the fans so I'm not even really a fan of places like Minnesota or Indianapolis hosting as it's freezing outside for having a good time even if the game itself is indoors. I would limit Super Bowls to San Francisco, LA, San Diego (in theory), Vegas (once the stadium opens), Arizona, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami. More like the big college bowls. The time for the showpiece cold weather games is this weekend. Just a shame that in the NFC in particular nowadays almost the entire playoffs is indoors. That Giants-Packers NFC title game at Lambeau in the 2007 season was an all-time favourite of mine.
the NFL will never schedule the superbowl in colder climates unless like New York its to help get a new stadium so guess we are stuck with dome's and then the odd outdoor one where maybe rain is a factor(think 2006 is the last time I can remember that) but just would love to see maybe some of the original northern towns get a superbowl.

does seem a kick in the teeth to see the new LA/Vegas teams get rewarded for relocating and deserting there long term fan bases.