22 yards short - why oh why............ - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Old 04.01.2010, 07:25 PM
Team Captain

Default 22 yards short - why oh why............

.........was Aaron Rodgers pulled from the game when he was this much shy of the franchise record for a single season passing yards? I can only imagine that neither he or the coaching staff knew about the record. Surely if they did he could have stayed in for one more series. I know that we would be risking injury and frankly if we lose Rodgers then we can forget it but 22 more yards!!!!!!! Does anyone know?
Old 04.01.2010, 11:17 PM
Starter

Maybe the intention was to overtake Favre into 2nd place, and leave the record for another season. In all serious tho, I reckon if we can make some improvements on our O-Line next season (some consistency like the last 7 games), and clean up the offensive pens, then there is no reason Rodgers can't break it next year
Old 04.01.2010, 11:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownp View Post
Maybe the intention was to overtake Favre into 2nd place, and leave the record for another season. In all serious tho, I reckon if we can make some improvements on our O-Line next season (some consistency like the last 7 games), and clean up the offensive pens, then there is no reason Rodgers can't break it next year
Good shout.

I'm also happy for Lynn Dickey to have the record a little bit longer. It's a reminder of the great days (from an offensive point of view) of Dickey at QB throwing to wideouts James Lofton and John Jefferson, Paul Coffman at tight end and the plethora of backs coming out of the backfield like Eddie Lee Ivery and Gerry Ellis.........

and boy, was Eddie Lee Ivery a fantastic back. Pity about all the injuries he had that curtailed his career and limited his contribution.
Old 05.01.2010, 12:12 AM
All Pro

Interesting that you mention Ivery and Ellis, pgoj. The only time since 1960 that the Packers have had three 500+ yard rushers in the same season occurred in 1985...

636 = Eddie Lee Ivery
633 = Jessie Clark
571 = Gerry Ellis
Old 05.01.2010, 12:37 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
Interesting that you mention Ivery and Ellis, pgoj. The only time since 1960 that the Packers have had three 500+ yard rushers in the same season occurred in 1985...

636 = Eddie Lee Ivery
633 = Jessie Clark
571 = Gerry Ellis
And without checking, so I may be wrong, I think they all averaged well over 4 yards a carry and Clark may even have been at 5.

It was typical of the Packers of the day, good backs with good speed but not particularly durable. All were decent receivers as well, but in the end a little the samey. Ivery could have been a star but kept blowing out his knee.