2010 draft picks discussion - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Old 23.04.2010, 09:47 AM
All Pro

Default 2010 draft picks discussion

Thought I'd start a discussion on our picks this year.

Bulaga... I think the pick is fair rather than great value. Might not be able to play LT long term. Will never be a great player. I didn't like him as a top player and where we got him I think OK, solid job, but it's hard to get excited.

On the other hand he's young (21), tough, wants to be good and he's well prepared. He's solidified our greatest area of weakness on the roster. I think much as the pick isn't a big time exciting one, it's one that is hard to argue against.

2nd round. I would trade back if possible. Need to get more picks. I'd take Veldheer, Jason Worilds or maybe Chris Cook if we are where we are. I'd also really love us to get O'Brien Schofield in the 3rd or 4th round.

What does everyone else think so far?
Old 23.04.2010, 11:05 AM
Pro Bowler

I think had Bulaga not been there we would have traded back, people may be a little down on Bulaga but it's premature in my view to say whether the guy's maxed out or what he's going to be. He's been in a zone-blocking scheme at Iowa, is talented has great work ethic and I think he'll bring a toughness to the line which it sometimes lacks. Bulaga may not 'look' like the best pick but I really like the value of getting one of the top 4 OTs in the draft.

As for the next few picks I really like Koa Misi or Ricky Sapp although Worilds I think is very good too. Taylor Mays is still there so maybe that pushes a Nate Allen or Reshad Jones down? The first round was so twisted and crazy that if we play this right we could hit another three or four homeruns.
Old 23.04.2010, 11:59 AM
Pro Bowler

Yes we could have gone OLB, but we just don't know how much more Clifton will take before he's out with an injury again. Bulaga now gives us plenty of options on the line. I like the pick, even though as you say it's not that exciting.
Old 23.04.2010, 12:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coombser View Post
I think had Bulaga not been there we would have traded back, people may be a little down on Bulaga but it's premature in my view to say whether the guy's maxed out or what he's going to be. He's been in a zone-blocking scheme at Iowa, is talented has great work ethic and I think he'll bring a toughness to the line which it sometimes lacks. Bulaga may not 'look' like the best pick but I really like the value of getting one of the top 4 OTs in the draft.

As for the next few picks I really like Koa Misi or Ricky Sapp although Worilds I think is very good too. Taylor Mays is still there so maybe that pushes a Nate Allen or Reshad Jones down? The first round was so twisted and crazy that if we play this right we could hit another three or four homeruns.
Much as I am struggling to feel excited about the pick (I would’ve loved to have Jerry Hughes), I can’t fault the Packers for taking Bulaga. It is a good value. He won’t bust (unless he has injury trouble), he will work hard and be a good pro. He just might wind up at RT or G, which if it happens is OK but still leaves a big hole at LT.

O’Brien Schofield absolutely had him for breakfast last season, that’s what really scares me I guess.

So I would still try to get Veldheer if we can.
Old 23.04.2010, 12:17 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
Much as I am struggling to feel excited about the pick (I would’ve loved to have Jerry Hughes), I can’t fault the Packers for taking Bulaga. It is a good value. He won’t bust (unless he has injury trouble), he will work hard and be a good pro. He just might wind up at RT or G, which if it happens is OK but still leaves a big hole at LT.

O’Brien Schofield absolutely had him for breakfast last season, that’s what really scares me I guess.

So I would still try to get Veldheer if we can.
Apparently during that game the guy had thyroiditis - a condition that has now been sorted - so he couldn't play at 100% strength and speed, I'm very happy we got the guy - maybe has a lower celling but in our game I don't think you need to have the next Anthony Munoz at LT because of Rodgers' mobility. I say again, if we can get one of the best Safeties left that isn't Taylor Mays then that would be great. I think there are lots of other OLB guys out there who may well fall simply because of who should have gone in the first round.
Old 23.04.2010, 01:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Apparently during that game the guy had thyroiditis - a condition that has now been sorted - so he couldn't play at 100% strength and speed, I'm very happy we got the guy - maybe has a lower celling but in our game I don't think you need to have the next Anthony Munoz at LT because of Rodgers' mobility. I say again, if we can get one of the best Safeties left that isn't Taylor Mays then that would be great. I think there are lots of other OLB guys out there who may well fall simply because of who should have gone in the first round.
Agreed for sure we need a safety. If we got Mays at the end of 2 I would be up for doing that, although like you I have reservations about him.

Still I feel like OLB is the way to go if we can get Worilds in 2 or Schofield in 3/4. One of the two.

There are some good later round safeties.
Old 23.04.2010, 05:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Agree - I like Worilds, Sapp or Misi, I don't know enough about Schofield. I'd be interested to see how far Mays falls, simply because it may mean that Nate Allen will also fall and we might just pinch him.

I'm worried about the McCluster possibility though - not because I don't like the player - I just think that it's not a priority.
Old 24.04.2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Bowler

Well I'm not all over the Mike Neal pick but if they feel he can play the 3-4 then with Jenkins and Jolly in contract year it makes sense. The Morgan Burnett pick I really like, I'm worried that we traded away our 4th rounder, having said that I thought we gave away too much for Matthews last year and look how that panned out. I wonder if the move up was caused because we saw a certain rush on Safeties coming with both Major Wright and Chad Jones going around the same time.

Still need another OLB although I get the sense from the picks that they clearly trust Brad Jones, which based on his performance is probably earned. But bearing in mind that Ricky Sapp, O'Brien Schofield and George Selvie there are opportunities with one of our two fifth rounders. There are also 4 CBs that to me have incredible value in Franks, AOA, Warren and Cox. If we can address both of those needs then TT will have knocked this draft out of the park. Which is exactly why I have little faith that will happen!

Last edited by Coombser; 24.04.2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 24.04.2010, 12:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Agree - I like Worilds, Sapp or Misi, I don't know enough about Schofield.
Schofield is a hell of a player. Really good guy and local prospect being a Badger.

He led the Big 10 in sacks this year, not Brandon Graham. Before he tore his ACL at the Senior Bowl he had a good chance of going 2nd round.

He's not got ideal length (shortish arms) or thickness through his body but he's a really high motor rusher, very good athlete. Not naturally a great run defender but he works his ass off, and has got a lot of upside to him as a rusher.

Obviously it's a medical downgrade so you don't know how teams will rate him on that. But he could be ready to play mid season. If he's there in the 5th it's a slam dunk for me but I expect he'll not get out of the 4th...
Old 24.04.2010, 01:05 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm sold - which means we're now certain not to get him. But if any of Sapp, Schofield, Selvie or Gibson is there then we must take - there's been so many crazy picks in this draft that there's lots of options for our two fifth-rounders - as I mentioned there are four corners that provide stunning value this low and Eric Norwood should have gone by now.

I almost wonder if we'll give up a fifth and sixth to trade into the fourth for either a CB or OLB.