2010 draft picks discussion - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Old 24.04.2010, 09:50 PM
All Pro

James Starks , Yes
Old 25.04.2010, 02:39 AM
Pro Bowler

Right - have collated my musings on this in an article on Bleacher Report - a nod to Peter King if you will....enjoy at: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...bay-2010-draft
Old 27.04.2010, 08:52 AM
MVP

Green Bay Draft Review

Round 1 – Brian Buluga OT

Buluga was pencilled down by most as a top 15 pick, value was excellent (although you fall for a reason). I do wonder if once he fell past the main suspects whether TT did even consider trading up to get him. He is a Green Bay type player Blue Collar, lives for football and clean character. It is not an exiting pick Buluga will never be an elite left tackle, I believe he has starting potential at left tackle failing that he will be a ten year starter at RT or guard. Given the choice I think I would still have preferred Jerry Hughes, and I genuinely think this would have been the pick had Buluga not fallen. – Grading A-

Round 2 – Mike Neal, DE

Perhaps a slight reach but I pick I’m alright with. Jolly has off-field issues and is an inconsistent starter with both on and off filed attitude problems, add to this that Jenkins is in a contract year the pick makes a whole lot of sense. A pick that may spell the end of Justin Harrell though - Grading B

Round 3 – Morgan Burnett, SS

Now this is a pick I like! Did we give up too much for him – probably. But he wasn’t going to last until our turn. Burnett is the ball hawk athlete that Bigby promised to be in his first season, he even has the dreads to boot. Either way Burnett starts or gives Bigby a kick up the **** to start performing (in fairness to Bigby he has been injured). A sensible pick, reasonable value and could be a rookie starter – Grade B+ (Only not an A because we had to give up the 4th)

Round 5a – Andrew Quarless, TE

I understand the logic a first day talent in the 5th round, and I trust TT has done his homework on his character. However he seems just to be a clone of Finley, we already have our high maintenance, cocky, but extremely good tight end why take the risk (what if he is a bad influence on Finley). I’d have preferred to have taken a pure blocker if we were going down the tight end route. A gamble that may pay off, but not one I like – Grade C

Round 5b – Marshall Newhouse, OT

People question whether we should have taken another tackle, that isn’t an issue with this pick; Newhouse looks versatile enough to play 4 positions along the line. A good value pick and you can never have enough talented lineman, will be in a training camp battle to make the team but a solid pick nevertheless. – Grade B

Round 6 – James Starks, RB

A fantasy genius in 08, but injured through 09, I’m glad we drafted him rather than gambling on UDFA, built identically to Ryan Grant if he can prove he is healthy he certainly has a shot at making the team – Grade – B

Ryan 7 – CJ Wilson DE

I see people moaning that we didn’t take an OLB, well you don’t pick players for need in the 7th round you take players you don’t want to risk losing in UDFA, and Wilson is certainly one of those. A great value pick, GB have done well recently with 7th rounder’s and I have a good feeling about Wilson, great intangibles and as I mentioned earlier with Jolly and Jenkins in contract years, Wilson could stick – Grade A-

Slight annoyances – Where is our punter? Did we miss out on an elite Kick Returner? And would our 5th be better spent on Leon Washington than another Tight End.

Overall a solid yet unspectacular draft, I suspect a draft that will yield at least 3 starters, I don’t see a pro-bowl type player there but plenty of solid type talents. Perhaps a typical Thompson draft.
Old 27.04.2010, 11:09 AM
All Pro

Punter – there were no great punter prospects this year. I know all the Pats fans are excited about the Romanian guy they drafted, but honestly, much as he’s a physical specimen his technique is really bad and they are going to go through the problems we’ve had the past couple of years. That’s what drafting young punters is like. In time he’ll probably be a good player but he’s Jon Ryan mk II – big leg, slow get-off and needs to overhaul his technique (he’s a 2.5 step guy at the moment). Plus he can’t do directional punting for ****, it’s touchback central with this guy. He needs time and coaching. The guys that went after him are even worse, have even bigger transitions to make. If you ask me, if we’d taken this guy we’d all be sat here in November saying ‘when will TT learn and sign an experienced punter’.

Jolly – he is one of my favourite players as we all know. I know he has off field problems but on-field? I don’t understand that Jiz, care to elaborate? All I see is a guy who flat out loves to play, wants to play every snap and plays his heart out. That’s what I love about him. He’s coming off his best year and I think he’ll be even better this year. I get that there are doubts about resigning him as there were with Corey Williams, but honestly, as long as he stays out of trouble, he loves to play football too much to be considered a major risk. Yes, he gave away a boneheaded penalty in a big game this year… but I still love his attitude on the whole.

Quarless – I think you are being a little negative here. Way I look at it, it gives us so many options to get on teams with personnel. Granted, Quarless needs to improve his in-line blocking, but imagine we go out in a 2-TE set with Finley and Quarless, 2 WRs and a RB. We can run power runs out of that formation or we can motion Finley and Quarless out pre-snap and hit teams with a spread formation. In a division where safety is a very weak position it gives us exciting options to attack our division rivals. On the character stuff, he’s been clean the past couple of years. Yeah he’s brash and cocky, you worry a little about the fit there, but really… he’s big time talent and the back of the 5th I’m happy with it. You aren’t tied to a 5th round pick, if he ***** up you just cut him.

Bigby – has never been more than an adequate starter, he basically had one month (December 2007) when he was on fire. You look at the bigger picture with him, he’s always going to be a guy you want to upgrade. He’s always going to be injury prone and he’s not everything you want on the field when he’s healthy. I love the Burnett pick although it’s a damn shame we had to give up our 4th because O’Brien Schofield would look mighty good if you add him to that draft class.

All in all it's typical Thompson. You really feel the Packers are in very solid hands.
Old 27.04.2010, 02:35 PM
All Pro

I did this rough mock-up of our depth chart right now. I think we’re pretty stacked, it’s fair to say. I like the recent signing of Charlie Peprah. Means we’ve got an alternative to another year of Bush…

QB – Rodgers, Flynn, Shepard
RB – Grant, Jackson, Starks, Wynn, Porter, Harrison
FB – Kuhn, Johnson, Hall
WR – Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Swain, Moturi
TE – Finley, Lee, Quarless, Havner
LT – Clifton, Bulaga, Barbre
LG – Colledge, Spitz, Newhouse
C – Wells, Dietrich-Smith
RG – Sitton, Spitz, Lang, Dietrich-Smith
RT – Tauscher, Lang, Giacomini, Campbell

RDE – Jenkins, Neal, Wynn, Wilson
LDE – Raji, Jolly, Harrell, Talley
NT – Pickett, Raji, Toribio
ROLB – Matthews, Obiozor, Zombo
LOLB – Jones, Poppinga, Knicky, Russell
SILB – Barnett, Bishop, Joseph
WILB – Hawk, Chillar
CB – Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, Blackmon, Underwood, Bush, Shields
S – Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Martin, Peprah, Bush, Vaughn

Last edited by transmetropolitan; 29.04.2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Forgot Derrick Martin
Old 28.04.2010, 04:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
I did this rough mock-up of our depth chart right now. I think we’re pretty stacked, it’s fair to say. I like the recent signing of Charlie Peprah. Means we’ve got an alternative to another year of Bush…

FB – Kuhn, Johnson, Hall

WILB – Hawk, Chillar
S – Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Peprah, Bush, Vaughn

If we are allowed all these players (im not sure of roster sizes) we look in good shape with some decent depth. I would of still prefered to see us make a move for washington as our kick return was a area of concern last season.

But depending on the Farve situaton (please retire man i hate been torn ) i think the division is ours for the taking. Even if Brett does come back hopefully this year we will get to him. Or at least rough him up and rattle him

Overall draft grade for me B- Nothing spectacular but we addressed needs and already had skill positions covered.
Old 12.05.2010, 01:28 PM
Pro Bowler

Bush, Barbre and Giacomini can be chalked off that list straight away - don't see any of them returning, one of the FBs will surely go and I think Moturi will be a practice squad guy. I doubt we keep any more than 3 RBs and Harrell is surely gone.
Old 20.07.2010, 06:56 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
I did this rough mock-up of our depth chart right now. I think we’re pretty stacked, it’s fair to say.

FB – Kuhn, Johnson, Hall

WILB – Hawk, Chillar
S – Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Martin, Peprah, Bush, Vaughn
Hi guys,

I'm interested to know where you think the Packers' weaknesses are at this point? A lot was made of their failing to draft an OLB ... do you think pass rush will be a problem this year? (And will the loss of Jolly affect that?) I guess it's unlikely that Matthews will have so much success again, if only because other teams will be aware of the threat.

To me the depth looks thinnest at CB. Even if Al Harris makes the first game, he must be a doubt to last out - let alone perform at his best - for the whole season. Behind Williams (is he good enough to be a starter?) the guys who might have to play nickel + dime seem a bit raw.

Any other areas of concern?
Old 21.07.2010, 12:04 AM
Pro Bowler

I think the loss of Jolly could be big although there's plenty of D-line depth there with Wynn, Neal and Wilson all looking like promising prospects. CB worries me, Pat Lee is crucial - what will he play like if he can stay healthy? Receiver is the one long term worry for me. I'd like to think that either Nelson or Jones can take a more consistent role in the team. That may not be in terms of yards as I think Finley will see a lot more action and Jennings and Driver are both 1,000yard possibilities - but I'll look for them to be able to make plays when called upon in crunch situations.
Old 21.07.2010, 09:57 AM
All Pro

I don’t think there’s any doubt at all that OLB is the thinnest position.

We’ve got a Pro Bowler in Clay Matthews, a promising player in Brad Jones and a journeyman/role player in Brady Poppinga. Beyond that at the moment all we’ve got is a 2nd year UDFA in Obiozor and undrafted free agent rookies. If Matthews or Jones gets hurt… we’re in trouble somewhat. I can see a training camp trade or free agent signing to be honest. Hard to believe we’ll go in so thin in an uncapped year with such a promising roster otherwise.

Corner for me I don’t really get what the fuss is all about. Woodson yes will need replacing in a year or two but is going to be fine for this year. Tramon Williams is still an ascending player in my opinion. He’s a solid starter, maybe a little timid and better as a 3rd corner but the team is OK with him there. Beyond that you’ve got 3 players, Al Harris who many have written off but who I think can and will contribute maybe later in the season, Pat Lee who sure has been hurt a lot but ought to contribute this year and Brandon Underwood who has an awful lot of promise. We ought to get decent sub package contributions from these guys at least.

Then behind them you have some viable 4th/5th corner options in Blackmon, Bell, Bush. Sure, these guys are not great players, but they are experienced and a lot better than their equivalent guys at OLB. And be realistic. Who around the league has 4 or 5 starter worthy corners? Our depth last year got exposed with 3 players on IR – Lee, Blackmon and Harris. You had Bell come in off the street to a new defensive system, Underwood was a rookie… We are very unlikely to suffer so many injuries this season and even if we were to we ought to be better prepared to cope.

Whereas at OLB, if we end up with 3 guys on IR we are likely in huge amounts of trouble.

DL yes Jolly is a loss as I mentioned in the other thread but we ought to be able to cope. ILB is good. S should be fine if Martin comes back from injury and Burnett delivers on promise (if not in either case then Peprah is fine as insurance for 4th S). On offence the line depth looks the best it’s been in at least 5 years (though the starters aren’t as good as that 02-04 line). TE is good, WR is excellent, FB is good, RB is not a worry. The one area on offence is what happens if Rodgers goes down. Flynn may be good enough to lead the team for a couple of weeks… any more than that I don’t know. He’s the big unknown and QB is the biggest question for depth on offence.