2010 draft picks discussion - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Old 21.07.2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
I don’t think there’s any doubt at all that OLB is the thinnest position.
Yes that must be right, for the reasons you mentioned.

I suppose I wonder if it's the biggest *problem* on defense, though? With flexible pass rush schemes, pressure can come from other players ... perhaps Capers could get by with weaker players at OLB, for a few games at least.

Whereas there's really not much you can do to compensate for having to use weaker players at the CB position.

(But if Tramon Williams is "solid starter" material, it's not as bad as I thought.)
Old 21.07.2010, 11:26 AM
Pro Bowler

I think Williams replaced Harris with not a lot of drop-off. OLB is a huge worry although I think Chillar could do a job there if required, the fact they found Jones in the 7th round gives me some confidence they're good at judging talent and therefore maybe Zombo or Oziobor can come through - certainly with Kevin Greene there they're learning from the best...
Old 21.07.2010, 01:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Yes that must be right, for the reasons you mentioned.

I suppose I wonder if it's the biggest *problem* on defense, though? With flexible pass rush schemes, pressure can come from other players ... perhaps Capers could get by with weaker players at OLB, for a few games at least.

Whereas there's really not much you can do to compensate for having to use weaker players at the CB position.

(But if Tramon Williams is "solid starter" material, it's not as bad as I thought.)
Sure, the pressure in a 3-4 defence can come from various places. But if you can’t consistently get pressure with your OLBs then you are actually very limited in what you can do.

If you’ve got an OLB who isn’t a credible threat to get to the QB then it’s easy for the offence to plan for that. You want the threat of consistent pressure there to make the offence honour the threat – that’s when blitzing from unusual places can be effective. If you’re not getting regular pressure from your OLBs you’ll be prone to giving up big plays.

Banking on a Chillar conversion – remember he doesn’t practice there AT ALL in the offseason, that’s how little the coaches think of him as an OLB, or an undrafted rookie making a contribution… honestly this is clutching at straws. It’s an area where if a starter goes down for the year they’ll have to sign a veteran off the street to come in. Greene may be a good coach, the young guys may have talent, but depending on them to deliver? You’re really jumping off a building and hoping there’s a net there to catch you.

And it’s definitely true that you can never have enough good cover players at corner. But I would point out that there are many teams that have gotten away with slightly dodgy corners from a cover POV if they are athletic, play the ball well and you get pass rush. All the cover 2 Ds, the Saints, the Jets… if your pass rush is strong, you can get away without the best corners in the world.
Old 21.07.2010, 02:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Interesting discussion, thanks guys.

Quote:
I can see a training camp trade or free agent signing to be honest. Hard to believe we’ll go in so thin in an uncapped year with such a promising roster otherwise.
That sounds bleak! Do you think it's likely to happen under the Thompson + McCarthy regime? If they share your assessment, why not try to do something earlier in the offseason? (not to mention the draft!)
Old 21.07.2010, 04:11 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
That sounds bleak! Do you think it's likely to happen under the Thompson + McCarthy regime? If they share your assessment, why not try to do something earlier in the offseason? (not to mention the draft!)
Well, in the draft it's the way it falls to you. The guys they took were all positions of need. Plus they do take the best player, not the biggest need, that's just the way they work.

Trading up for Burnett cost the team a shot at someone like O'Brien Schofield. That's just the way it goes. I like our 2010 draft at this point.

As for free agency, if there was someone obviously genuinely good out there willing to work for the right price, they'd be signed already. The Packers don't spend silly money early in free agency. If the veteran isn't a big upgrade the team would rather give the roster spot to the younger player who is cheaper and has upside. The theory is that a % of these will come through and become players for you over time.

If Jones and Matthews stay healthy, the team will be OK. Maybe they like what they have in Obiozor too? The thing is now, with what's left in FA, is it really a big upgrade over what'll be in FA if one of your starters does go down?

My feeling is the team should take a chance on Adalius Thomas, but I don't know his contract demands (is he seeking to avoid training camp, for example), desire to play in GB or enough about what went wrong in NE. How would he handle being a backup in GB? He didn't play well last season, but IMO is a guy worth rolling the dice on if those other things check out.
Old 22.07.2010, 10:13 AM
Pro Bowler

All good points - thanks. A quick question on this one:

Quote:
If Jones and Matthews stay healthy, the team will be OK. ... The thing is now, with what's left in FA, is it really a big upgrade over what'll be in FA if one of your starters does go down?
Surely the available crop of FAs is very likely better now, than it will be in mid-season if Jones or Matthews get injured?

Some of the currently-available FAs will have been signed by other teams, to cover their own gaps/injuries. In the other direction, few decent players are going to be cut by other teams, presumably - unless they really have a glut of talent at that position.

Meanwhile guys like Adalius Thomas, if he is still available, will have been sitting at home rather than working out & learning the playbook.

Better to act now than wait to see if someone gets injured?

Edit: Money and roster space are constraints, obviously. But outweighed by need, in this case?

Last edited by Blanco; 22.07.2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06.08.2010, 10:28 AM
Pro Bowler

Sounds like they are experimenting with Chillar at OLB:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...ith-Jones-back
Old 11.08.2010, 07:04 AM
Pro Bowler

In the new depth chart, Chillar is listed as a starter at OLB!

On one side it's: Clay Matthews; Brady Poppinga; Cyril Obiozor

On the other side: Brandon Chillar; Brad Jones; Frank Zombo

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Edit - more details here:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100408459.html

Last edited by Blanco; 11.08.2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12.08.2010, 01:44 AM
Pro Bowler

Starks injured again...seems to be a doubt as to whether he makes the roster this year - Grant and Jackson are locks - especially as BJ returned a kick for a TD the other day adding yet another string to his bow - but Kregg Lumpkin now would seem to be ahead of Starks in terms of the third roster spot race...
Old 22.08.2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Thus far in the preseason there's been some encouraging signs from our rookies. Particularly two guys, Bulaga and Mike Neal. Bulaga has to be top pick at LG over Colledge, he's also none to bad at LT (although it's mainly against 2nd string opponents). Mike Neal has some good awareness (sniffed out a screen in the Browns game), and gets some nice push on the pocket (even triple teamed against the Seahawks).

Those two are definite stand outs. Morgan Burnett has made a few nice plays but he's not been as obvious, though it's difficult to judge Safeties play with the t.v camera angle. Others (Quarless, Wilson, Newhouse) look pretty raw and aren't getting too many reps.

UDFA Sam Shields continues to impress as a CB but not as a returner. He did look good as a gunner though.