2017 Offseason Thread - News, Free Agency, all that jazz - Page 69 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 20.03.2017, 07:33 PM
GOAT

the rumour at the moment is that Hankins hasnt been able to beat out offer, hopefully he makes the smart choice and signs soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Raiders have signed EJ Manuel (no idea why) and re-signed LS John Condo (hey, long snappers are people too). Geno Smith has passed his medical and will sign with the Giants, reportedly a one year deal for $2m.
its odd that he didnt go somewhere he might have a chance to compete as a starter.

it will be interesting to see how that deal breaks down as $2m is on the high side.
Sponsored Links
Old 20.03.2017, 07:55 PM
All Pro

Raiders been busy today, also signed former Dolphins LB Jelani Jenkins. No idea about him but can't be any worse than Malcolm Smith.
Old 20.03.2017, 08:27 PM
MVP

reports that the competition committe may consider reducing pre-season and regular season OT to 10 minutes.also talk about banning leaping on PAT's and Field goals on safety grounds.

full list of topic to be discused will come later this week.
Old 20.03.2017, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
reports that the competition committe may consider reducing pre-season and regular season OT to 10 minutes.also talk about banning leaping on PAT's and Field goals on safety grounds.

full list of topic to be discused will come later this week.
Don't really see the point of reducing OT, fully agree on banning leaping on kicks though...
Old 21.03.2017, 06:07 AM
MVP

Jets sign Josh McCown to a fully guaranteed $6m 1 year deal - with more available with incentives.
Old 21.03.2017, 09:06 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Jets sign Josh McCown to a fully guaranteed $6m 1 year deal - with more available with incentives.
Oh, It is such a Joy being a Jets fan.

There is nothing good about this deal... if we want to tank there are cheaper ways to do it.

He isn't a guy you want teaching young QBs, his record is awful. Geno gets 2m with Giants and we give this guy 6m??

Luckily I have the Knicks to watch - because who wants a team that's best option is to tank... oh no wait....

McCown... ha... Brilliant. Two comments I have read = He's 2-20 on his past 22 games. Every team that has had him for the last 3 years .....1st overall pick!

Nothing tells me that if we do get first pick we will even solve our QB issue.. we will either pass on a QB and draft a FB or do what we usually do and pick a QB that give us false hope before stinking up the building...

McCown...

McCown.

Old 21.03.2017, 10:20 AM
All Pro

I can imagine that as a backup option - which he will be - from what I've heard/read he'd be positive influence on younger QBs in terms of professionalism etc, which is what you want from a veteran QB.

I don't get the kerfuffle about how this is a terrible move, Jets are doomed etc... he's been signed as a backup QB. To me it probably indicates that Petty and Hackenberg aren't close to being an NFL starter, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they pair McCown with a young QB drafted high in a months time.
Old 21.03.2017, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

McCown should just be a veteran presence/emergency backup. Everyone knows we're going to be in a position to draft one of the top QB prospects next year, so surely we need to let Hack show what he can do this season? If not, we might as well cut him now.

This signing almost makes me wish we'd signed Kaepernick. Almost...
Old 21.03.2017, 11:57 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
I can imagine that as a backup option - which he will be - from what I've heard/read he'd be positive influence on younger QBs in terms of professionalism etc, which is what you want from a veteran QB.

Dont see how you can pay McCown $6m and say he will just be a back-up,he is being paid that to start.if they wanted a cheap back-up there are plenty of guys out there who are cheaper/younger and possibly better.

why even sign him now,surely wait till the draft and see if any of this years QB's maybe slide into a later round if not then go over pay for a 2017 tackling dummy.
Old 21.03.2017, 12:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Dont see how you can pay McCown $6m and say he will just be a back-up,he is being paid that to start.if they wanted a cheap back-up there are plenty of guys out there who are cheaper/younger and possibly better.

why even sign him now,surely wait till the draft and see if any of this years QB's maybe slide into a later round if not then go over pay for a 2017 tackling dummy.
There's simply no way in 2017 NFL that you pay $6m for a 38 year old QB and say he's an undisputed starter. Chase Daniel got $7m for a clear backup (or 3rd choice!) role only last season. Who's younger, (probably) cheaper and possibly better? I can't think of an obvious one off the top of my head.

There'll be a rush to sign up QBs once the first few rounds of the draft falls into place, so signing him now when the market is more open and there's more choice, makes sense.

McCown is a backup, his salary says that, but is one that might be required to play if the younger incumbent (be it Hackenberg, or a highly drafted QB) isn't quite ready. I jsut don't buy that McCown at $6m is the organisation saying "This is our guy, undisputed starter for every game of 2017".