Let the team pick you - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 16.08.2017, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudderz87 View Post
im in a similar position.been following avidly for about 3 years. picked the seahawks as my father in law lives in washington and sends me merch. however i very rarely watch a full game as im always up early on a monday and seahawks generally dont play the 6pm games and i often find myself more interested in other teams...glad its not just me ha.
Definitely not you mate, I feel bad for looking at forgetting the team I support, but I guess if it's not there it's not there for them. Plus not like I've stopped supporting them and opted to go follow someone like the Pats who won it last year and are favourites again this year
Sponsored Links
Old 16.08.2017, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMS View Post
Out of curiosity is there a list of what each team's main colour would be?

When looking for a team I'd want them ideally to wear the same colour as my football team which is Navy blue and White?
I was in the exact same position. I forced myself to be a Packers fan for their history with Lombardi and the iconic stadium but it just didn't stick and, like yourself, my favourite football team is blue and white.

This then lead me to looking at Texans, Giant and Colts. Texans didn't really have enough history for me, Giants I felt were too mainstream and didn't want that and so the Colts were the choice for me and have been ever since. This was aided by the fact one of my favourite TV shows (Parks and Recreation) was based in Indianapolis and they go to Lucas Oil Stadium in one episode. Indi is also supposed to be a fantastic city and so it is on my bucket list to go over for a game.
Old 16.08.2017, 01:31 PM
Rookie

I'd say currently for the colours of blue and white the teams I've come up with at the moment would be:
Giants
Chargers
Titans

I do also think black kit's look smart so the Raiders would appeal to me too

Like you say too though, I'd like to support a team that would be a city or state to go and visit on a regular basis. Eventually I'd love to get to the stage where I can go to a game once a year
Old 16.08.2017, 08:50 PM
Rookie

I picked the Eagles more or less because of fantasy football. I had drafted a bunch of Eagles (Jackson, McCoy and Foles) and rode them most of the way to the league title that year. I found myself focusing on those players and watching the highlights. I had already tentatively declared myself a fan when we had an awesome snow game against Detroit that cemented things. It also helped that my mate was a Detroit fan, we were playing in the league that week and I absolutely smashed him.

I say watch a load of games and see what you like. Redzone is pretty awesome - I wish there was something like that for EPL.
Old 17.08.2017, 12:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I'd say currently for the colours of blue and white the teams I've come up with at the moment would be:
Giants
Chargers
Titans

I do also think black kit's look smart so the Raiders would appeal to me too

Like you say too though, I'd like to support a team that would be a city or state to go and visit on a regular basis. Eventually I'd love to get to the stage where I can go to a game once a year
Well we are moving to Vegas....

Personally I'd wait until they get there too; Oakland is a gang infested commercial wasteland and going to a game feels a bit like going to prison.
Old 19.08.2017, 02:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
I would not overthink that point too much. if you have the time, money and will to go watch your team in the USA you will go to watch them regardless of where it is. The team will bond you to the city. Don't do it the other way round if you don't already have a city you are bonded to. I've seen so many people pick teams in Florida or New York because they think they can then go and watch the team play. But if you want to go you'll go anyway!

Put it this way. I've been to Pittsburgh 4 times. I love it! It's an awesome city. Do you think I would have gone to Pittsburgh if it wasn't for the Steelers? No way! I feel like I have found a hidden gem, way off the track where most European tourists ever go. And the energy in the city on Steelers game weekend is something to behold. The Steelers run through the blood of the city. It isn't the same in San Francisco or New York or Washington. Sure, there will be fans, but life doesn't revolve around the team in the same way.

Usually when I go to Pittsburgh I go for a few days. If I want to do a longer trip I combine it with a visit to a more major city where you need to fly to/from to get back to London anyway. Last time it was Washington. Another time Boston or NY.

Some of the coolest bits of the US are cities off the beaten track I think. And people are genuinely delighted to see you made it across. Not the same in NY, LA etc.
Old 19.08.2017, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Yeah that's true never thought of it that way

Ideally I just want to be able to go to at least a nice part of US that welcome you, I've heard some teams aren't in brilliant areas you'd want to visit (such as Detroit) but just feel 3 years watching the sport and no teams have really pulled me in
Old 19.08.2017, 08:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Yeah that's true never thought of it that way

Ideally I just want to be able to go to at least a nice part of US that welcome you, I've heard some teams aren't in brilliant areas you'd want to visit (such as Detroit) but just feel 3 years watching the sport and no teams have really pulled me in
I was considering going to Detroit actually for the Steelers road game this season but as it was the schedule wasn't kind to my own agenda. Detroit is probably one of the least glamorous experiences as a city, you're right there. Probably Cleveland too. But I'm sure there are a few interesting things. And you can't deny Cleveland is mad about the Browns. Which is that much more impressive given how awful they have been for so long.

i guess if you don't drive you should also factor in that some NFL stadiums aren't actually in the city they say they are and are way out in the middle of nowhere and getting there without a car is a real pain. I don't drive myself and while I've got my team already there are definitely some stadiums I wouldn't go to as an away fan purely because of the logistics. New England, Dallas, Arizona, Buffalo for example. The 49ers are a long way from San Francisco now. Miami doesn't look easy either. Whereas other teams have downtown stadiums which is super convenient. I've been to Indy, Cincinnati which were extremely accessible, and NY and Washington while a way out were accessible by public transport.

I'd also say to watch full games on Gamepass or whatever and ignore the advice above about redzone. If you want to get into a team, watch the full game! Redzone is the NFL equivalent of being a Chinese tourist. You're rushing here, there and everywhere, desperate to see all the main things, and at the end of the day you've seen nothing at all. It's a box ticking exercise for fantasy football fans. You don't get the feel of a game, nor see clips of the city or get an idea for what the atmosphere is like in the stadium or how the game ebbs and flows. It's just a highlight and then off to the next game for another highlight. You'll get a much better feel for what a team is - and by team I mean the whole thing, off the field as well, not just the players on the day - by watching whole games. And ultimately that aspect of a team will be around far longer than a star player or a style of play will be.

Last edited by European Bob; 19.08.2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 19.08.2017, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Cheers mate, that's really really sound advice and much appreciated!
Old 20.08.2017, 11:42 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Out of curiosity is there a list of what each team's main colour would be?

When looking for a team I'd want them ideally to wear the same colour as my football team which is Navy blue and White?
Buffalo Bills it is....