Football at Wrigley Field - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 20.11.2010, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

Wrigley Field is one of the smallest baseball stadiums field wise anyhow, it's ridiculous that they should even attempt to play there.
Old 21.11.2010, 08:31 PM
Starter

some pics from the game: http://www.fightingillini.com/view.gal?id=81674

looked like a lot of fun, I kinda regret not going up to see it after all... oh well. I'll save my money for the bowl game i guess.

field wasn't really much of an issue at all... other than it was a bit odd that teams were always going in the same direction. That part was almost kinda nice because I've been to a couple games this year in Champaign where it was windy enough the team going with the wind had a real advantage, whereas it was completely negated last night.

Good event, I'm glad northwestern did this... also I'm as pleased as I've ever been with Illinois football that we ruined their party.
Old 21.11.2010, 08:55 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylslinn View Post
Wrigley Field is one of the smallest baseball stadiums field wise anyhow, it's ridiculous that they should even attempt to play there.
The Chicago Bears played at Wrigley from 1920-1970, is the field smaller now than it was back then???

Or were they just less health and safety rules and were happy for receivers to run through the endzone into an ivy-clad brick wall.

Last edited by Jonny73; 21.11.2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 21.11.2010, 08:57 PM
MVP

Default Football at Wrigley Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny73 View Post
The Chicago Bears played at Wrigley from 1920-1970, is the field smaller now???
Yep sure is used to seat over 70k.
Old 21.11.2010, 10:15 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny73 View Post
The Chicago Bears played at Wrigley from 1920-1970, is the field smaller now than it was back then???

Or were they just less health and safety rules and were happy for receivers to run through the endzone into an ivy-clad brick wall.
yea, a little, the field used to run north/south, the field yesterday was east/west.

I believe they have added a couple rows of seating around the infield, moving the stands closer to the field. Because of this, they had to go E/W down the 1st base line because the field is a bit deeper in that direction.

Quote:
Yep sure is used to seat over 70k.
not really... the current capacity for baseball (just north of 42,000) is the highest its ever been after they added a couple rows to the outfield bleachers a few winters ago.

Soldier Field used to seat well over 100,000 and was a giant exhibition stadium... which is why the bears played in the smaller and more economical Wrigley Field until the NFL forced them to move to Soldier Field
Old 21.11.2010, 10:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIllini07 View Post
yea, a little, the field used to run north/south, the field yesterday was east/west.

I believe they have added a couple rows of seating around the infield, moving the stands closer to the field. Because of this, they had to go E/W down the 1st base line because the field is a bit deeper in that direction.

not really... the current capacity for baseball (just north of 42,000) is the highest its ever been after they added a couple rows to the outfield bleachers a few winters ago.

Soldier Field used to seat well over 100,000 and was a giant exhibition stadium... which is why the bears played in the smaller and more economical Wrigley Field until the NFL forced them to move to Soldier Field
I've been to Soldier Field back in the 90ties and I am pretty sure they said the stadium used to hold over 70k.'ll have to look it up but that is what I remember.
Old 21.11.2010, 10:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erfan View Post
I've been to Soldier Field back in the 90ties and I am pretty sure they said the stadium used to hold over 70k.'ll have to look it up but that is what I remember.
Oh just re read his question,I thought he was asking about Soldier Field,sorry about being confused!