AFC and NFC Conferences fair? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 20.05.2011, 11:40 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesHSG
The divisons are much much better now, I mean having 6 teams in the AFC Central was crazy . Even though Cinci is more south than Indi and Saint Louis is more east than Dallas they are generaly good.
St. Louis have the longest intra divisional travel of any team - in fact, virtually everyother team in the league is closer to them than their divisional rivals.

Quote:
I mean a simple couple of changes might be to swap the Cowboys and Panthers, Bills and Ravens, and the Dolfins with the Colts.

The problem with the "West" divisons is there there is not 8 west coast teams only 4, and there are only 2 teams in the void between the mid west and the pacific. That means you have to have 2 mid western teams in these divisions (KC and STL). Its just one of those things.
Well, if LA does cause another round of expansion rather than simply stealing a team from somewhere else, it'd probably have to take the league to 40 teams, and to me, the obvious answer then would be to add a new division in each conference rather than a new team to each division - call it the NFC/AFC Central for the sake of argument - and shift various teams into it as you add new franchises regionally.
Old 20.05.2011, 12:26 PM
All Pro

I cant see the league having 8 more teams.

I mean there is LA and London as potential franchises, but where would you get 6 more? Las Vagas maybe and Canada, but thats all I can think of.

Personally I cant see anymore franchises being created for a while, the currant 4x2 divisons of 4 is perfect.
Old 20.05.2011, 01:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Marks View Post
St. Louis have the longest intra divisional travel of any team - in fact, virtually everyother team in the league is closer to them than their divisional rivals.

Well, if LA does cause another round of expansion rather than simply stealing a team from somewhere else, it'd probably have to take the league to 40 teams, and to me, the obvious answer then would be to add a new division in each conference rather than a new team to each division - call it the NFC/AFC Central for the sake of argument - and shift various teams into it as you add new franchises regionally.
I think a team moving to LA is the only way LA have a team. The NFL seem pretty set with the current 32 team League. It won't be too long before a team moves anyway, the Jags anyone ?
Old 20.05.2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
I think a team moving to LA is the only way LA have a team. The NFL seem pretty set with the current 32 team League. It won't be too long before a team moves anyway, the Jags anyone ?
Same applies for Canada. I think it's pretty clear that they're just waiting for Ralph Wilson to pop his clogs so they can buy the Bills up.
Old 22.05.2011, 04:36 PM
Starter

In both baseball and football there is a pretty intentional effort to split up markets across both leagues.

In geographies that have multiple teams (New York, Baltimore/DC, Missouri, Texas, Bay Area in California, etc) the league intentionally puts a team in each conference... its an effort to increase the visibility and interconnectivity for the league. For example, with 16 games in the New Meadowlands, about half the league plays in the New York metro area each year and the majority of the league plays a New York team each season.

There is some history that shapes the format as well (like Dallas in the east division) or consequences of moving teams about (St. Louis in the west), but there is still a pretty concerted effort to split markets and increase exposure.

basketball and hockey do the opposite, teams are mostly grouped by geography and the league finals are teams from each side of the country.
Old 23.05.2011, 08:05 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesHSG
I cant see the league having 8 more teams.

I mean there is LA and London as potential franchises, but where would you get 6 more? Las Vagas maybe and Canada, but thats all I can think of.

Personally I cant see anymore franchises being created for a while, the currant 4x2 divisons of 4 is perfect.
Well, IIRC, the thought was two teams in LA, plus Portland's seems to be a fairly big market, the population of the area's only just smaller than Pittsburgh's.

Chuck in Las Vegas (can you imagine a Super Bowl there? ), Memphis (they were trying for a franchise in the Jags/Panthers expansion, and it should be far enough from Nashville not to intrude too much on their support), possibly San Antonio, maybe Orlando and Toronto.
Old 23.05.2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Marks View Post
Well, IIRC, the thought was two teams in LA, plus Portland's seems to be a fairly big market, the population of the area's only just smaller than Pittsburgh's.

Chuck in Las Vegas (can you imagine a Super Bowl there? ), Memphis (they were trying for a franchise in the Jags/Panthers expansion, and it should be far enough from Nashville not to intrude too much on their support), possibly San Antonio, maybe Orlando and Toronto.
No doubt all these cities have a justifiable case for a franchise. Add to the list Salt Lake City (Utah), Sacramento (California) and maybe even Colombus (Ohio).

But the chances of the NFL awarding this many expansion franchises at once is highly unlikely. The League has always tended to expand in twos, to try and keep scheduling/division filling headaches to a minimum. The current symmetry of 32 teams in 2 conferences of 4 divisions of 4 teams is so neat that I wouldn't want to see any more expansion though.

I think that relocation is the only way Toronto/LA get a team in the near future. The Bills will almost certainly get bought up and put in Toronto, it's just a question as to when. I expect to see the Toronto Bills appear in the next 5-10 years.

And LA will probably poach a team at some point too - possibly the Vikes as they still haven't finalised their stadium plans in Minnesota. If not they may still be able to tempt away another team with stadium or revenue issues from Jacksonville, St. Louis, San Diego or San Francisco. And maybe even the Raiders could return, never put anything past Al Davis!
Old 23.05.2011, 09:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post
I think that relocation is the only way Toronto/LA get a team in the near future. The Bills will almost certainly get bought up and put in Toronto, it's just a question as to when. I expect to see the Toronto Bills appear in the next 5-10 years.
It's a sad thing about the NFL. It's different to the NBA MLB and NHL where there are a few teams which financially aren't built to survive long term. NFL all 32 teams make a profit ( minus the Raiders either last season or the season before) and there is still constant talk of relocation around the league.

Buffalo for example terrible on field product in a small market no playoffs in the last 11 seasons. Still the 22nd most valuable franchise in the NFL and just three blackouts last season ( against top crowd draws the Browns Jags and Lions) after 28 games consecutive sell outs watching a Trent Edwards, JP Losman and Dick Jauron lead team. This is the kind of franchise that should relocate? Only in the NFL.
Old 23.05.2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post
It's a sad thing about the NFL. It's different to the NBA MLB and NHL where there are a few teams which financially aren't built to survive long term. NFL all 32 teams make a profit ( minus the Raiders either last season or the season before) and there is still constant talk of relocation around the league.

Buffalo for example terrible on field product in a small market no playoffs in the last 11 seasons. Still the 22nd most valuable franchise in the NFL and just three blackouts last season ( against top crowd draws the Browns Jags and Lions) after 28 games consecutive sell outs watching a Trent Edwards, JP Losman and Dick Jauron lead team. This is the kind of franchise that should relocate? Only in the NFL.
I wholeheartedly agree and it is unfortunate for the Bills. People talk with amazement about the size of the town and low population of the area in which Green Bay play. But for me Buffalo is equally as impressive - with such limited success in a small city hit hard by the recession its truly amazing the support that the Bills have maintained.

Nevertheless, Mr. Wilson isn't getting any younger and we know that on his death the Bills will be sold off to the highest bidder.

I believe I am correct in saying that the Greater Toronto Area is the 5th most populated metropolitan area in N. America. And is a strong, growing commercial hub. The TV market dwarfs that of Buffalo.

Add to this the fact that Toronto have made no secret as to their continued desire for an NFL team in the city. And Mr. Goodell's desire to make the NFL international also plays into Toronto's lap.

Toronto have also shown that they can host successful NBA, NHL and MLB franchises.

On top of all that, the Bills themselves have shown a continued interest in establishing ties with Canada. The Bills Toronto series has already seen the team play preseason and regular season games north of the border.

I sympathise with Bills fans in Buffalo, but I can't help but think that the Bills will be the Toronto Bills within the next decade.
Old 23.05.2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Having said that, I've always thought that this would make a neat logo...