Doctor Who - Page 8 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 08.06.2011, 08:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
I do agree with Sy here. Was it just me or was that episode very similar to the principle behind the Pandorica of the last series? A group of people scared of the Doctor look to get rid of him. I don't like the idea of the Doctor as being someone who everyone knows and who everyone feels they have to get rid of.

The Doctor is at his best as the odd man who comes in a blue box, resolves things and then disappears. I can understand that turning him into a legend, but I don't think it should be used too much.
But you've got to see the way this is going. So many races seeing the doctor as the enemy - why?

Easy if you think about it.

There was the time war - Daleks v Time Lords.

The war raged across time and space and affected many, many races.

At the end of the war the time lords and the daleks were wiped from history.

So they were wiped from the memories and histories of all of the races

Except for the one who survived - the Doctor.

So because he's the only one who 'existed' at any point, the wars that affected all of the races are all blamed on the Doctor.
Old 09.06.2011, 04:01 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocheb73 View Post
Interesting to see what you guys think about the nature and reputation of the Doctor. I seem to have had the opposite reaction to many of you. Personally I like the "dark" side of the doctor we occasionally get to glimpse. On the face of it the doctor is a light hearted traveller seeking adventure and for the most part this is what he gets. But every so often he is forced into a situation where he needs to demonstrate how truly powerful he is. The guy destroyed his own race remember! For me some of the best moments of the RTD/Tennant era were when the doctor stopped being the jokey adventurer and became the time lord proper (I think in old who the time lords were far more morally ambiguous?). I'm thinking in particular of the episode set prior to WW1 where the doctor hides from that family. Then it emerges he was only hiding because he didn't want to have to deal with them. Great moment.

Anyway when River was pointing out the "dark side" of the doctor I felt like the writers were trying to move away from that character trait which I will be disappointed with.
I have a feeling the second half will address why the Clerics (or the people's they represent) hate the doctor/are in all out war against him... (we ran into the clerics last season, they were a bit cool towards him but not against him)

A couple things from this half of the season:

- Amy and Rory have to be gone soon... perhaps before the end of the season, probably after it. Besides saving his future girlfriend, I just can't see the doctor being involved in raising his future gal pal (plus Amy and Rory can't stick around and have a baby in constant danger, one would think, right?)

- Its probably fairly obvious that River kills the doctor... likely the (or a new) Ganger Doctor.... for which she gets thrown in the worst run jail in the universe and the doctor breaks her out on dates quite a bit.

... I'm still not convinced Rory isn't going to die, he dies a lot for someone who would have a long healthy life... still possible that River kills Rory (who is being kind of played up as a legendary character a bit) somehow.

... The one thing I'm wondering is what they do with River long term? she presumably spends the better part of 20 years with the Doctor, obviously they can't have a long term companion like that, but will she (and maybe a couple younger versions of herself) be woven into several series?

... with that in mind, remember the doctor that got blasted had a book full of memories with River Song.... and she mentioned there were two doctors for one of her birthdays (not sure if that comment was to be taken seriously). If there is a return of a ganger doctor... does he go on a 200 year adventure that includes hanging out with River (meaning her character rarely/never interacts with the real doctor) to come back and get killed?

I guess I'll have to chew on that for a few months.
Old 10.06.2011, 07:34 AM
MVP

It just seems to obvious that River is the one to kill the Doctor.

I'm also thinking the time River and The Doctor spend together will be done off screen.The next time we see them they will of spent however many years together.

It is very sad that we know how Amy and Rory's child will die.
Old 05.07.2011, 06:31 PM
MVP

Re-watching Matt Smith's first season as the Doctor on the iPlayer.

If you listen closely you can hear the noise the Silence make through out the episodes.