Moving to the states, to Iowa City. Go Hawkeyes! - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 27.07.2011, 12:09 AM
Starter

been to Iowa City several times (only for basketball games though, not football, need to go next time Illinois rolls into town), was there a couple weeks ago.

It's a nice college town. the downtown is a bit too frat-y for my taste, even though the City Council got rid of the 19 year old bar age last year
(at Illinois the campus is between the two towns and all the undergrads drink on campus and grad students and townies drink off campus, i think that's better for all involved)

that said, easy to walk around the downtown.

I have a friend who works at a grocery/liquor store near campus... evidently Kirk Ferentz likes to drink St. Pauli Girl.
Old 27.07.2011, 09:42 AM
Pro Bowler

I think the OP was being sarcastic with the Iowa-London comparison.
Old 30.07.2011, 09:37 AM
MVP

Sorry I haven't replied to the thread, I've been in Spain and typing out decent replies on my phone is a pain.

The London thing was tongue in cheek, I've lived here my whole life apart from uni, I have done the lot, the curries, the drinking, museums and galleries, football (still never been to WHL though).

TOwen: If you look hard enough there are probably a lot of girls who would gladly marry to swap citizenships.

Last edited by Secret Admirer; 31.07.2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 30.07.2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erfan View Post
Iowa City more exciting than London?In your dreams but maybe if you had an NFL team there.You could always move to S.F and be a 9'er season ticket holder.Just a thought.Actually college towns are very exciting during football season so good for you.BTW a lot of us Americas drive an hour and a half one way to work 5 days a week so 3 hours to a game on a Sat morning is nothing.
British sense of humour.
Old 30.07.2011, 07:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Still..Iowa City, lol isnt that just Chipping Norton?

I would understand Santa Monica, Mill Valley, Seattle, Boulder, Austin, NYC, Reno....

But Iowa City ??? lol
Old 30.07.2011, 09:28 PM
All Pro

I really liked Iowa City. It was clean, friendly and generally very pleasant!! There is an odd chain (3 of them I think) of British pizza pubs in Iowa City called the Wig and Pen which are quite good and I enjoyed Donnelly's. There is a British presence in Iowa and there is a great British owned and run pub called The Londoner in Cedar Rapids if you every find yourself there!!

Enjoy
Old 09.08.2011, 08:35 PM
MVP

Unfortunately I have stumbled at the massive hurdle that is immigration, but I'm still trying. Unlikely to be out there for this football season now
Old 09.08.2011, 10:23 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
Unfortunately I have stumbled at the massive hurdle that is immigration, but I'm still trying. Unlikely to be out there for this football season now
Sad News!!! US Immigration is harder than rocket science. Immigration Lawyers, though costly are really worth the investment I have found!!!
Old 10.08.2011, 10:41 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABrit View Post
Sad News!!! US Immigration is harder than rocket science. Immigration Lawyers, though costly are really worth the investment I have found!!!
Oh I know. The officer told me the visa I'd applied for was practically impossible to get. After he'd rejected my application. Then I got rejected for the VWP as a result of being denied an impossible visa. It's a trap and it's really stupid and frustrating.
Old 10.08.2011, 01:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
Oh I know. The officer told me the visa I'd applied for was practically impossible to get. After he'd rejected my application. Then I got rejected for the VWP as a result of being denied an impossible visa. It's a trap and it's really stupid and frustrating.
Seems harsh...did you have a job lined up or did you intend to study over there?