Watching NCAA Football on ESPN/web - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 03.08.2011, 07:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Watching NCAA Football on ESPN/web

Hi,

just wanted a few questions answered regarding the TV coverage of College Football on ESPN and the web.

How many games a week do they show on ESPN?

Do they show a good range of teams or only big schools (on ESPN)?

Does the SEC website show all the games in full for free after they have been aired?

Are their any other conferences that show full games for free?

Is college pass worth the price if you have ESPN,also is the quality good, picture wise?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 03.08.2011, 09:48 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenk24 View Post
How many games a week do they show on ESPN?
Pretty much everything that is shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ABC + most of the games shown on ESPN3.com. Only CBS games (selection of SEC, BYU etc.), NBC (Irish) and Versus (MWC, Ivy League) are not shown.

Quote:
Do they show a good range of teams or only big schools (on ESPN)?
Massive, all kinds of schools, from SEC, through MAC to non Division-1.
Just go to http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule and whatever is listed as being shown on ESPN family of network will be on ESPN Player, + many of the ESPN3.com games as well.

Quote:
Does the SEC website show all the games in full for free after they have been aired?
Not anymore.

Quote:
Are their any other conferences that show full games for free?
Not that I am aware of. Irish games are archived for free at hulu.com (if you have US IP - at work, school or through VPN).

Quote:
Is college pass worth the price if you have ESPN,also is the quality good, picture wise?
It's not crystal clear HD or anything, but it's well worth. I use a projector and watch in 120" and haven't complained. Depends on the feed though, some SEC Network games or the local network games (like Idaho games for example) are sometimes crappy.

All in all, it's excellent value for money, and don't get me started on college football superiority over pro game.
Old 03.08.2011, 10:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
don't get me started on college football superiority over pro game
If you like football but aren't watching college you are completely missing the boat. It will change your life.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...n-pro-football
Old 04.08.2011, 07:07 AM
Pro Bowler

Thanks guys! Is college really better? I have watched a few sec games on the website and it's really good, but not better I would say. I need to watch a full season this year though to have an opinion..
Old 04.08.2011, 07:34 AM
Team Captain

Is there any other online passes for channels other than ESPN? Say you wanted to watch every game from your College team, is it possible?
Old 04.08.2011, 10:18 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Ste View Post
Is there any other online passes for channels other than ESPN? Say you wanted to watch every game from your College team, is it possible?
Big Ten Network which was $90 last season (the only exclusive games will be the ones broadcast on BTN in the States - the bigger games will be on ESPN Player anyway).

CBS College Sports Online, is $120 for a year - Mountain West and the like - plus some smaller schools (e.g. Villanova).

To my knowledge FSN doesn't offer anything online - they cover Pac-12, Big 12 and C-USA - plus looks like some SEC this year.

Individual teams have online passes - but depends on the school as to how many games are shown. BYU has a new deal with ESPN for example but lesser games like the Idaho State game will be on BYU TV - Texas is trying to get its own network up and running - but most bigger schools games will be on major networks, so it's tough.
Old 06.08.2011, 04:59 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Ste View Post
television rights for all games are owned by the home team (or if it's a neutral game, are negotiated).

For example with the Big Ten, the league collectively owns all games played in league stadiums (which adds up to about 84 games, give or take a couple, each year). During league play (after week 4) there are 6 games a week, and typically ESPN/ABC takes 3-4 of them and the Big Ten Network airs 2-3.

The Big 12 doesn't have that setup... games which aren't taken by ESPN are the property of the individual schools, so each school markets its own games (which is why Texas is so rich, and has it's own flippping TV channel now, whereas Iowa State is struggling)

For ESPN and ESPN2, on a typical weekend in the US they have (I'm going to use Eastern times, so add 5 hours for the UK)

Noon: a game on each channel, at least one Big Ten and the other is Big Ten or ACC or Big East
3:30PM: a game on ESPN or ESPN2, I think usually Big 12 or SEC
7PM: non regional game* (more below)
10PM: West Coast game, either Pac-12 or WAC.
sometimes they'll have an ultra late (like 1AM) Hawaii game.

ABC usually has games at 3:30 (Big Ten) and 7PM (regional*)

ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 have 3 games each Saturday night... the local game at any place in the US is on ABC, and the two non-regional games are on ESPN and ESPN2

on top of that, ESPN and ESPN2 have games Thursday and Friday night each week, and after a few weeks into the season do Sun Belt, WAC, and MAC games on Tuesday and Wednesday night (which are sacrilegious, but I watch anyways)
Old 06.08.2011, 05:07 PM
Starter

oh also... i assume ESPN3.com over there gets what it does here... so you'll also get:

ESPNU - does lessor matchups, either bad matchups in good leagues or good matchups in bad leagues... they occasionally do FCS games as well.

ESPN Classic - sometimes they get so busy they'll put a game on ESPN Classic... I think that Army played on that channel a lot a couple year ago, but I think the service academies mostly play on CBS Sports now.

ESPN+... regional games, these are games which are produced by ESPN and branded as such. They are played on Regional Sports networks or local network TV stations, and also thrown online.

plus some other regional sports networks will put games on ESPN3 as well.

So basically... ESPN does quite a bit... if you want to watch the Big Ten, then Big Ten network + ESPN will get you all the games (except maybe the odd away non-conference game that isn't covered by ESPN)..

Not sure what your options are for hte SEC, CBS covers the marquee matchups and I think some non-conference games are still Pay Per View.

If you want to watch Mountain West then you need to find Versus and The Mountain Network. If you want to watch Pac 12 then it's a mixture of regional sports networks (Fox Sports usually) and some ESPN games.'

if you just want to watch a lot of games, can't really go wrong with ESPN, they play a ton of games and at least a couple from each league throughout the year.
Old 06.08.2011, 05:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks guys! Is college really better? I have watched a few sec games on the website and it's really good, but not better I would say. I need to watch a full season this year though to have an opinion..
NFL Cant even begin to compare to College Football.
Old 06.08.2011, 05:51 PM
Starter

Quote:
depends how you define better...

the pro game unquestionably has more talent, higher quality of play, more parity, and usually closer games.

because there are so many college teams, all college teams (even title contenders) have more weaknesses because talent is spread out and players are only there up to 4 years. Roster's are larger in college too. There is a lot more diversity of style (you might have an option running team against a 5-wide passing team)

Gameday is a lot different... you have bands, student sections, away team sections, chants everyone knows, random quirky traditions, and so on, with college games, moreso than in the pros.

I think there is a lot more passion behind the college game... you have matchups like Florida vs. Georgia, Army vs. Navy, Iowa vs. Iowa State, UCLA vs. USC... etc and colleges come to represent entire states, or branches of the military, or halves of states, or a city rivalry.

I like both, but I'm mostly a college fan, I'd rather spend a day in a field outside of a college stadium, then go watch a game, than I would sit in a parking lot for an NFL game.