Garrett Offense? Or Ryan Defence - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 06.12.2011, 01:52 PM
Starter

Thumbs down Garrett Offense? Or Ryan Defence

Which is the greater contributor to the Cowboys 7-5 Record?

For me its Offense - 40%, Defence 60%. I know Special Teams play their part but I'm focusing on the Majority.

I have to be critical of Jason Garrett i'm afraid! Yes he's a rookie head coach, but he has called a couple of bonehead plays and decisions, like on Sunday to ice our own kicker? Really Jason? "Oh we weren't set up properly".... sorry i don't buy it. Bailey nailed the first attempt! There have been too many running plays when a pass was required, and vise versa. Like against the Lions! RUN THE BALL GARRETT, lets not give Stafford 4 minutes to win the game!!!!

Is he overrated? Yes.... How many Head Coaching jobs did he go for? Dolphins etc. How many offers did he get? None. I really have been fuming with the Cowboys a few times this year, and of course we're heading into December and we all know what happens in December....(Garrett's offence for some time by the way)

Yes Rob Ryan has the Eagles game to feel bad about but I now have a new grown confidence that our D is gonna get the job done more often than not. Anyone who says to me "Oh where were they in over time against the Cards?" I say, they should never have been in that situation in the first place!

"Hello,... Mr Jones? I have Tony Dungy on line 1."
Old 06.12.2011, 02:08 PM
Starter

Garrets been calling bonehead games for years, as i said when he was appointed HC LOSING SEASON OR 8&8 AT BEST. its down hill from here people.

i have been a cowboy fan for over 10 years.
Old 06.12.2011, 09:43 PM
Starter

I just cant come to terms with the basic mistakes. Its true he's been with the cowboys for a while and under Jerry Jones. There has to be a better option. Didn't Jones see flaws during our 6-10 season last year? I did. Wade Phillips didnt run the offense it was Garrett.

Here comes December. Come on Jason and Tony, please prove me wrong!

Last edited by gwilso23; 06.12.2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07.12.2011, 08:40 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilso23 View Post
I just cant come to terms with the basic mistakes. Its true he's been with the cowboys for a while and under Jerry Jones. There has to be a better option. Didn't Jones see flaws during our 6-10 season last year? I did. Wade Phillips didnt run the offense it was Garrett.

Here comes December. Come on Jason and Tony, please prove me wrong!
i wouldn`t blame romo to much this year, he has played the best he has for years, garrett is the problem, he needs to own up to his crap play calling and stop throwing everyone else under the bus. get norv turner back in to help with the offence.
Old 10.12.2011, 12:13 PM
All Pro

I don't blame Garrett, Romo or Ryan.

All three are slightly Culpable in one way or another, Ryan less so than the other 2.

I just think we are an average football with some outstanding individuals. Don't get me wrong i feel if we re-boot on Defense in this next off-season and continue to improve our O-line we're not far away. I just don't see the need to have to blame our HC or QB.

Garrett has done alot of things that i really like, i don't like some of plays he call or how easily he gets away from the Run but on the whole i think he's gonna be a great HC for the Dallas Cowboys. As long as Jerry lets him do things his way.
Old 10.12.2011, 12:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilso23 View Post

Is he overrated? Yes.... How many Head Coaching jobs did he go for? Dolphins etc. How many offers did he get? None.

."
My understanding was that he was offered the Baltimore job but JJ talked him into staying!?

I could be wrong though.
Old 11.12.2011, 10:02 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_8 View Post
My understanding was that he was offered the Baltimore job but JJ talked him into staying!?

I could be wrong though.
I think he had the choice of the Atlanta or Baltimore jobs but Jerry tempted him to stay with a big new deal.

As for this season I always had it as a rebuilding year with a young inexperienced head coach and a young line, so the fact that with 4 games to go they still control there own destiny. isn't bad even though its mostly down to the Eagles under performing.

Personally as I would like to see him just be a head coach and let some one else focus on the offense. I know Jerry likes his h/c to also be the coordinator and don't know if Garrett does not want to bring in a O?C but I am sure if either would make room to bring in Norv Turner.
Old 13.12.2011, 08:52 PM
Team Captain

When JJ finally did the decent thing and got rid of Wade Phillips I was hopeful of an upgrade at the head coach's position, all we got was a Phillips mini-me - no passion, no game plan and no plan B.

Romo has had probably his best season (despite the O-line and the injury), Jones and Bryant (when healthy) have contributed and Murray and Robinson have proved to be great finds, but we still can't win from winning positions and that can only come down to the coaching.

On the defensive side of the ball, I'm no fan of the Ryan family (I've been watching long enough to remember the 'class act' that's patriarch of it), but I've actually got high hopes for our DC, provided he's given the tools to work with. The secondary was suspect coming into the season (again!) and the only thing the owner has done to try and improve it recently was Pacman Jones but, on the evidence of Sunday's debacle, the front seven has now either given up or simply become worn out.

Ware, as usual, has been "eyeballs out" all season, but looked very subdued, whilst players like Ratliff, Lee and Spencer failed to provide the level of play frequently seen. No sacks and little pressure against a team like the Giants is unacceptable.

It feels like the Cowboys have been in transition for more than a decade, but that's the best I can say about the team. The nucleus of a good team is there, but it needs significant investment and/or a lot of luck in the draft and free agency before we'll see a sixth ring.
Old 29.12.2011, 04:58 PM
Rookie

trade romo for peyton manning and get yourself a big time qb then the rest will come together
Old 31.12.2011, 10:28 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaulmorris@yahoo.co.uk View Post
trade romo for peyton manning and get yourself a big time qb then the rest will come together
No way! Manning is older, currently injured, no-one knows if he'll be back, he costs more per season than Romo does. And even if this does go through how long do the Cowboys have Manning for? 2 years? Then they're right back to square one.

What's in it for the Colts? I'm 99% sure they're picking Luck if they get the 1st pick. Wouldn't you rather have Manning teaching Luck than Romo?

Its perfectly plausible that Manning could be traded, but it will be to a team desperate for a QB. The Cowboys have bigger fish to try than QB. HOWEVER I would approve them trading Romo and their 1st pick to get into the top 10 pick to take a QB this year. We're not beating the Pack to the Superbowl any time soon. It would be good to start fresh, the Cowboys have a young offence and it would be good to see a good rookie signal caller take the reigns.

I can see us picking another project QB this offseason. The jury is still out on Stephen McGee and the Eagles game didnt help his case.