Worrying times for the Cowboys - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 24.09.2014, 09:50 AM
Hall of Fame

His play hasn't been good enough, and he can't seem to stay healthy, but I'm a little worried about Mo Claibourne's mental state right now after he apparently packed his bags and walked out of Valley Ranch after hearing he'd been benched yesterday.

Unless there is an abrupt turn around in Mo, then I think this is the beginning of the end for him in Dallas. He seemingly gave it everything he had to get better, but he doesn't seem to be able to cope mentally with his failings on the field. He has all the physical tools to be a success, but his confidence is clearly shot. Maybe he over thinks things on the field, or tries too hard, but it seems like he's had enough of the fan/media ridicule.

Facing the Saints was going to hard enough as it was. Claibourne, although benched would have seen the field quite a bit anyway with the Saints 3 and 4 receiver sets. Now it might be Carr and Scandrick on the outside, and then Patmon and Moore on the inside.....and that's all we have.
Old 24.09.2014, 06:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Mo's back in the fold by all accounts. All dealt with in house.
Old 29.09.2014, 07:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Mo's done for the year with a torn patellar tendon.

He hasn't been great, but this is terrible news all round. I'm not sure what the time scale is for getting back on the field, but he'll head into the final year of his rookie contract with everything to prove.

We're already short on CB's. Sterling Moore played well again last night, but beyond Carr and Scandrick we have very little. Patmon has potential but is raw. Jakar Hamilton is back soon, but it's a shame we lost Jemea Thomas a while back.

Bruce Carter might be missing for a game or 2 as well, so it's not like playing base personnel will help matters much.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 29.09.2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07.10.2014, 11:34 AM
Hall of Fame

4 - 1, with the Champs up next!

We kind of dodged a bullet against the Texans, especially with the return of the turnover and run defence issues. Not a good combination heading into Seattle.

I expect McClain will miss some time this week with his groin issue, and Carter will be touch and go to return. After watching the Seahawks v Redskins last night, we might be better off playing nickel the majority of the time anyway to combat all the Harvin/Wilson run plays. If McClain and Carter are missing, then Hitchens and Durant will see the field an awful lot. With the 2 home divisional match ups against the Giants and 'Skins on the horizon, I don't think Carter and McClain will be rushed back. Not saying we should give up already when it comes to beating Seattle, but we need to think long term with those two.

We need to get the play calling at the line of scrimmage off to a tee this week in practice. If Romo found it difficult at home to the Texans, facing the 12th man will be a nightmare. When Romo starts changing things at the LoS with less than 10 seconds left on the play clock it normally doesn't end well (see the delay of game penalty AFTER a time out against the Texans).

The Seahawks run D looked mightily impressive against the 'skins too, so it wouldn't surprise me if Murray didn't see as many carry as he has done next week. Garrett has talked about lessening his workload, so we might see more Dunbar/Beasley/Escobar than we have done so far.

I expect Romo will be having another Wednesday off practice too, he took a few hits from the Texans.
Old 07.10.2014, 07:56 PM
Team Captain

Yeah, great to see sunday's errors didn't end up in a defeat as has been the norm in recent years.

Massively chuffed with the first 5 games. Not expecting to win in seattle for a second, mind. My main concern is coming out of that one in good health. The team is too banged up at the moment to add fresh injuries to. Hope you are right and they preserve Murray somewhat too.

Having looked at the schedule, I don't see why we can't be a 9 win team from here IF we play like we have been, IF. This weekend is important to an extent, though, in that we mustn't take a pasting and we mustn't lose any more to lengthy injuries.

Also, can we have this conversation in the general cowboys thread, given that times aren't all that "worrying" at the moment haha!
Old 07.10.2014, 11:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Yeah, great to see sunday's errors didn't end up in a defeat as has been the norm in recent years.

Massively chuffed with the first 5 games. Not expecting to win in seattle for a second, mind. My main concern is coming out of that one in good health. The team is too banged up at the moment to add fresh injuries to. Hope you are right and they preserve Murray somewhat too.

Having looked at the schedule, I don't see why we can't be a 9 win team from here IF we play like we have been, IF. This weekend is important to an extent, though, in that we mustn't take a pasting and we mustn't lose any more to lengthy injuries.

Also, can we have this conversation in the general cowboys thread, given that times aren't all that "worrying" at the moment haha!
I thought that myself, but then thought it would be fun to look back on all our 'worries' when the season is all said and done. It's kind of like a '2014 season' thread in a way.
Old 08.10.2014, 08:04 AM
Team Captain

Massively looking forward to the Seahawks game now, will give an indication of how we match up against the elite teams.
Old 08.10.2014, 11:07 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaher View Post
Massively looking forward to the Seahawks game now, will give an indication of how we match up against the elite teams.
I'm not looking forward to it all if I'm honest.

Yes, it will be a true test of both our offence and defence, but on the road in Seattle is the toughest place in football at the moment.

Look at our weapons.

The OL........they have a solid DL, and a large, quick set of LB's.
Witten.........Bobby Wagner and Co at LB are quick, KJ Wright is 6'4. Cam Chancellor is 6'3, and Earl Thomas is always buzzing about too.
Dez........Sherman, or Maxwell and Thomas. That's a tough draw either way.
Murray......see DL, LB's, and the deadly duo at safety. They hit hard too.....fumbles?
Romo.......with that crowd noise, and that D, it's going to be tough. Aaron Rodgers stats from opening day.......189 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Look at our weaknesses.

Run D.......if McClain and Carter can't make it, who deals with Lynch? Their OL isn't the greatest, but it won't be over matched by our DL either.
Pass D.....Speed. Harvin. He had 3 TD's called back for penalties against Washington on the road.
Pass option D......Russell Wilson was a nightmare for the 'skins D. Even with Kerrigan and Orakpo on the edge he gashed them numerous times. 122 rushing yards on the ground for Wilson against the 'skins.

A very bleak outlook I know. I just worry that we go into Seattle, get beaten, beaten up, lose momentum, and....well that's not a good place to be heading into the New York and Washington games. So far the offence has avoided injuries, I just worry that in trying to match Seattle on the road we won't be so lucky.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 08.10.2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 14.10.2014, 02:44 PM
Hall of Fame

As this is a little setback i'll post it in the 'Worrying times' thread.............

Jerry says Doug Free will miss 3-4 weeks with a foot fracture!

Jeremy Parnell is next in line at RT, which is very much an unknown. The off season talk was about whether Zach Martin was drafted to be the long term replacement for Free at RT. If he slides across it could be pretty telling.

Doesn't sound like they want to upset 2 positions though by moving Martin to tackle, even though Mac Bernadeau is the 6th best OL on the roster.