Romo - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 05.04.2017, 08:45 PM
All Pro

Default Romo

I,m a bit confused about the Romo retirement thing? Do the Boys have to pay his salary as a golden handshake kinda deal or is he due nothing? I,m just thinking he could have stayed as a backup for a year on a re structure?
Old 05.04.2017, 09:02 PM
Hall of Fame

They released him, so they take the cap hit, but I think they can designate him a June 1 cut and spread the cost. Not 100% sure on that, but I think its right. If they submitted his retirement papers instead of releasing him, then he changed his mind and signed/was traded to another team it would leave the Cowboys with a hit of about $33m on the 2017 cap. hence the release.

He wouldn't have restructured, nor been a back up.
Old 23.04.2017, 09:35 PM
All Pro

I,m thinking we should have kept Romo and given Prescott another yr as back up, yes Romos cap hit was big and didnt give much space to work with-but, cosidering we didnt play at FA and the season we had? So we keep Romo, dont sign any player on big contract in FA and draft? or is that too simple?
Old 24.04.2017, 09:30 AM
Hall of Fame

Would Romo have retired if he was the guaranteed starter? Probably not, but it's tough to put Prescott back in the box so to speak after the year he (and the offence) had. They a had a couple of chances to restore Romo to the starting line up last season, but once Prescott was the starter against the Packers in the play offs that door was closed, permanently.

Remember, they need to resign Zack Martin soon, and they've already paid Tyron, Travis and Dez. Getting Romo off the books will give them much more flexibility a year or two from now (when Dak, with no 5th year option, won't be too far away from a new contract and Zeke will be earning $6-8m).