Pats 2017 season thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Old 02.09.2017, 05:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
I'm not too worried about losing Cyrus Jones. I feel bad for the guy and he was trending up this preseason, but the only way is up when you've been singularly awful for a year and a bit.
think losing Jones for the year does have the added knock on that he cant get on the practice field(if he made the cut) and hopefully make some 2nd year improvements and maybe that affects 2018 more with Malcolm Butler maybe walking.Was Jones not drafted because we had Butler and Ryan heading to free agency and big paydays.

think Jones issues in the kicking game cloud some judgement on what he was originally drafted to be,maybe another Ellis Hobbs type guy.
Old 02.09.2017, 11:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
think losing Jones for the year does have the added knock on that he cant get on the practice field(if he made the cut) and hopefully make some 2nd year improvements and maybe that affects 2018 more with Malcolm Butler maybe walking.Was Jones not drafted because we had Butler and Ryan heading to free agency and big paydays.

think Jones issues in the kicking game cloud some judgement on what he was originally drafted to be,maybe another Ellis Hobbs type guy.
I thought we might try and draft players to be good corners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03.09.2017, 05:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
I thought we might try and draft players to be good corners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
when we drafted Jones don't remember too many people complaing about the pick,he played for Saban so would have some knowledge of the "Patriot Way".still got to think back to corners we have drafted who really found there feet in there 2nd/3rd season.

surely last year if Jone's was starting we would have been in trouble but this year before the injury he should have been 3rd/4th on the depth chart and primed to start next year if Butler leave's.but guess not every draft pick works,Jordan Richards as a 2nd rounder is now just a special teamer but that keeps him on the 53 as we seem to carry more special teamers than any other team and it works in the long run.
Old 03.09.2017, 07:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
when we drafted Jones don't remember too many people complaing about the pick,he played for Saban so would have some knowledge of the "Patriot Way".still got to think back to corners we have drafted who really found there feet in there 2nd/3rd season.

surely last year if Jone's was starting we would have been in trouble but this year before the injury he should have been 3rd/4th on the depth chart and primed to start next year if Butler leave's.but guess not every draft pick works,Jordan Richards as a 2nd rounder is now just a special teamer but that keeps him on the 53 as we seem to carry more special teamers than any other team and it works in the long run.
I didn't complain because I thought he was going to be good. He hasn't been. Jordan Richards on the other hand didn't make a lot of sense, and is one of those mysterious picks we have from time to time.

Bottom line with Cyrus is he was exceptionally poor in his rookie year, and it got in his head, hence the ejections, the social media rants, and the interview talking about how he wanted to pack it in. He seemed to be improving in the return game this preseason, but was still poor in coverage, the play where he got injured being the exception...
Old 09.09.2017, 08:08 PM
Hall of Fame

oh well week 1 didn't quiet goto plan.the offence started so well but somehow got bogged own.Cooks looked ok but was shocked we never got him atleast 3 or 4 deep shots,seemed Hogan got more deep targets.

some good things to consider Solder who has missed most of the pre-season games played every offensive snap and Blounts redzone TD's look in good hands with Gillislee,didnt see much from Birkhead but sure he will get his chance to shine soon.

think on defence we saw some real issue's in the front 7 but think we have to remember we've had some struggle's on defence early on but by October we are normally in a much better place.

the Banner stuff was great especially seeing Edelman with the 2014 Lombardi.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 09.09.2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10.09.2017, 04:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
oh well week 1 didn't quiet goto plan.the offence started so well but somehow got bogged own.Cooks looked ok but was shocked we never got him atleast 3 or 4 deep shots,seemed Hogan got more deep targets.

some good things to consider Solder who has missed most of the pre-season games played every offensive snap and Blounts redzone TD's look in good hands with Gillislee,didnt see much from Birkhead but sure he will get his chance to shine soon.

think on defence we saw some real issue's in the front 7 but think we have to remember we've had some struggle's on defence early on but by October we are normally in a much better place.

the Banner stuff was great especially seeing Edelman with the 2014 Lombardi.
I think Hogan is more of a traditional deep threat than Cooks, and that's more how they see him. End arounds aside, Hogan mostly goes deep. All in all, not McDaniels' finest hour. They got desperate and predictable in the 2nd half, reminded me of SB42's final drive.

Burkhead continues to look unimpressive to me. The front 7 is still a major concern, but possibly fixable. The breakdowns in the secondary will likely never happen again after a good talking too from the coaching staff this week.
Old 13.09.2017, 06:18 PM
Hall of Fame

having watched the MNF I feel like its a good week for the Brady and the receivers to get on the same page.the Saints defence and very young secondary should give us some big plays.

looks like no Hightower with his knee and Amendola still out with his concussion so hope the front 7 can take advantage over the Saints weak o-line and maybe avoid the big mistakes that gave the chiefs there big plays.
Old 13.09.2017, 10:14 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
having watched the MNF I feel like its a good week for the Brady and the receivers to get on the same page.the Saints defence and very young secondary should give us some big plays.
Hope you are right as I can't help but feel that Brees will be thinking the same thing about our defence.
Even with their O line, I think we'll struggle to pressure the QB!!!
Old 14.09.2017, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqertrfc View Post
Hope you are right as I can't help but feel that Brees will be thinking the same thing about our defence.
The Saints' passing game, with Cooks gone and Snead suspended, is nothing special. Think you'll win that quite comfortably....
Old 14.09.2017, 06:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqertrfc View Post
they are down 2 starters on the o-line from what should be there best 5 and even Brees's weapons aren't what they used to be.the only really worry might be the running backs but think after last week Belichick will have a better scheme this week.this is not the '09 Saints......