Twickenham 2018?? - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 14.10.2017, 10:50 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
And this quote probably proves the London mentality more than anything and why Londoners get some stick for their attitudes to anything outside the m25.

The games are not all about London whatsoever...its the international series and a chance to see NFL outside of the US. Yes its in London, mainly because they have the stadiums to host the big event...but the games are most certainly not about London.
There are other big stadiums in the UK and elsewhere on this continent. There is a bigger stadium in Barcelona. But no suggestion of a game there. You can ignore the facts if you like, but if the UK didn't have a city like London it wouldn't have the games. Germany, for example, has more people in it than the UK and a large NFL fanbase (servicemen and NFL Europe legacy). But no one German city can hold a candle to London.

Last edited by European Bob; 14.10.2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 14.10.2017, 11:14 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
, it is important to remember that it is not only about other people in England - something I think you failed to register when suggesting on the other thread but a London team could be called the English Lions (shudder).
Call it The European Eunachs....call it the International Elites.....doesnt have to be England....just don't call it the London Whatever's...that was my point.

Bit two faced to say 'think about people outside England's and then want it to be called London Whatever's...lol

Fear not though, Europe...england...Uk...london...whatever, won't be getting a franchise...there isn't the interest....isnt the fan base and there's no logic to having one here and it won't happen. So it's all a moot point really. But just an opinion, we are all entitled to one.
Old 14.10.2017, 11:16 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
There are other big stadiums in the UK and elsewhere on this continent. There is a bigger stadium in Barcelona. But no suggestion of a game there. You can ignore the facts if you like, but if the UK didn't have a city like London it wouldn't have the games. Germany, for example, has more people in it than the UK and a large NFL fanbase (servicemen and NFL Europe legacy). But no one German city can hold a candle to London.
Yep...London is the most sensible place for it to be held ..but the International Series is most certainly not all about London.

If they held it at the Nou camp id fear a half empty stadium. They could hold it in Madrid, but only one game I'd say....German fans are used to cheap ticket prices and I dont think they'd fork out £80 a ticket in huge numbers...maybe as a one off yes but not a series.

But I actually think the 4 international series games shoukd be spread around Europe. 1 in Spain...1 in Germany ..1 or maybe 2 in London.....it would be a better spectacle than all 4 being in London.

Last edited by Spenspuma; 14.10.2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 14.10.2017, 02:15 PM
Pro

Its not called the International series anymore its called the London series or games so really it is all about London.
Old 14.10.2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Tottenham isn't as ideal as Wembley for public transport and certainly not as ideal as Wembley and Twickenham for parking.

I'd seriously advise parking the car on the outskirts of north London like Cheshunt, then travelling by train/tube. There is simply no room in Tottenham and basically only the High Street for access out of the area once you leave the stadium.

The queue of traffic heading north on the High Rd towards the A406 North Circular doesn't bear thinking about and if you park on the side streets there'll be queues to join the queues. Sunday traffic is also very, very heavy as everyone comes back from the weekend away.

I'd also take a look at Google Streetview to try and get an idea of the area and then try to envision 60,000 people leaving on top of the normal Sunday London traffic. Yes, you might have to stand in a queue waiting for a train but I'd rather do that than take a car. Never in a month of Sundays would I consider taking a car there.

Last edited by boknows34; 14.10.2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 14.10.2017, 03:40 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Tottenham isn't as ideal as Wembley for public transport and certainly not as ideal as Wembley and Twickenham for parking.

I'd seriously advise parking the car on the outskirts of north London like Cheshunt, then travelling by train/tube. There is simply no room in Tottenham and basically only the High Street for access out of the area once you leave the stadium.

The queue of traffic heading north on the High Rd towards the A406 North Circular doesn't bear thinking about and if you park on the side streets there'll be queues to join the queues. Sunday traffic is also very, very heavy as everyone comes back from the weekend away.

I'd also take a look at Google Streetview to try and get an idea of the area and then try to envision 60,000 people leaving on top of the normal Sunday London traffic. Yes, you might have to stand in a queue waiting for a train but I'd rather do that than take a car. Never in a month of Sundays would I consider taking a car there.
Nah, I will give it a miss thanks.

Don't think the NFL actually gave much thought to the fans when deciding on the new WHL as a venue.

What they never factored in is the fact that for Spurs games...the majority of fans are local so most are not coming far. For NFL people are coming from all over the country....its going to be an absolute nightmare on bothroad and train/bus and I know lots of people who have also said they won't be entertaining the NFL games there.

The only other option for me is getting a hotel in walking distance that has parking...but looking at the area it doesn't look great for that sort of thing.

We shall see....if it's New England Vs Green Bay or a tie like that, then I'd be tempted...otherwise my tickets will be sold.
Old 14.10.2017, 04:05 PM
MVP

Quote:

Don't think the NFL actually gave much thought to the fans when deciding on the new WHL as a venue.

What they never factored in is the fact that for Spurs games...the majority of fans are local so most are not coming far. For NFL people are coming from all over the country....its going to be an absolute nightmare on bothroad and train/bus and I know lots of people who have also said they won't be entertaining the NFL games there.

The only other option for me is getting a hotel in walking distance that has parking...but looking at the area it doesn't look great for that sort of thing.

We shall see....if it's New England Vs Green Bay or a tie like that, then I'd be tempted...otherwise my tickets will be sold.
You are partly right that NFL fans will be coming from further away. But as I said, I expect most visitors to London games from further away do not rely on the car either. You do, you've set out your reasons.

Spurs fans are not travelling long distances, but hardly any live local to the stadium either. In other words, most would have grounds to get the car out if they wanted to. Many more used to than do now as the encouragement is away from cars and towards public transport. Football demographics have shifted in London. The white working class families that mostly still make up the attendees (their kids and grandkids now) used to live near the stadiums in the past, but in the post-war decades they have gradually moved out, and mostly out of London altogether. The stadiums have stayed where they are though. The new inhabitants in these areas tend not to go to football games as much, for whatever reason. So you had West Ham playing at Upton Park but the fan base nearly all travelling in from Essex by 2016 when they left. Likewise, many Spurs fans live in Hertfordshire or the north-western part of Essex.

if anything, I would say that this would make a trip down to White Hart Lane from Chesunt or somewhere on the train far less busy for an NFL game than for a Spurs game.

As for the NFL, I don't see why they need to be concerned. As long as disabled access is OK and the infrastructure can get fans to and from the game they are happy. The NFL encourages people to use public transport for Wembley in particular already. They will do the same here.

And it won't be a nightmare on trains as you said. I already explained that for those coming from the north or from the east your mainline station is easily reached from either White Hart Lane or Seven Sisters/Tottenham Hale, ditto Victoria.

Last edited by European Bob; 14.10.2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 14.10.2017, 05:57 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domed Outter View Post
Buses will no doubt stop outside the stadium as they do on the high road, with the routes heading to alternative methods of transport.
Yes.

It is the journey home that would be difficult for me. Trains and busses are going to be crowded, as will the approaches to places where they stop. That would be difficult for me. What would be impossible is standing on a train or bus for more than 5 minutes. And it's really difficult to persuade somebody to give up their seat for an invisible disability.

Unless the Redskins or the 49ers are playing we shan't bother with WHL. Then we'd probably book a nearby hotel with private parking for the Sunday night.

I'm not sure I'd go to Twickenham even it the two were playing each other. Trying to fir my 6' 5" frame into one of their kiddie seats for 4 hours would likely be the death of me (or the people sitting near me).

Club Wembley is perfect for me. Easy access with their own car parks, proper-sized seats, etc.
Old 14.10.2017, 07:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:

The majority of people are using public transport though, which is what they are trying to encourage.

Seems like you've already dismissed going here. Did you dismiss the idea of Twickenham so quickly?
Old 15.10.2017, 07:40 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domed Outter View Post
The majority of people are using public transport though, which is what they are trying to encourage.

Seems like you've already dismissed going here. Did you dismiss the idea of Twickenham so quickly?
Yes I did....

My first visit to Twickenham was the Giants games last year. I had read all the negatives previously about cramped seating, old stadium, poor transport links, but decided to see for myself....and I really didn't enjoy the experience whatsoever.

Roll on to July this year and one of the band's I've always wanted to see are playing a gig in the UK....its a Twickenham!!!....because I've always wanted to see them and they aren't spring chickens anymore, I decided to go and hope my first experience was maybe a one off. Unfortunately the experience was the same..if not worse. So now I'm at the stage where I wouldn't visit Twickenham again, unless whatever was on the bill was too good to miss.....for me that would be Dolphins Vs Patriots or another big team.

As for WHL....I already know what to expect and like Twickenham it will be no surprise when I get there. But sometimes you have to try things for yourself and decide if you like the venue and it's worth the hassle.

With Wembley I've been many many times...always by car...and rarely have I been stuck in too much traffic. There is masses of parking on site....on nearby driveways and in the last few years I have stayed at the Hilton which is a stone's throw from the stadium with parking next door....its all very very convenient and along with club Wembley, makes the whole experience a very enjoyable and hassle free one....this makes the trip much more worthwhile for me.

I do not get that enjoyable feeling with Twickenham..its a chore. The parking (although at least there is some)..the traffic...the concourse...the seating...it all seems a chore.

With WHL there's some of the Twickenham chores...PLUS there's no/extremely limited parking..so for me, it's going to be something I won't look forward to because of this. So unless it's a humdinger of a tie, I won't be entertaining a trip there next year.

Each to their own, if public transport works for you then it probably won't be too bad for you.

If I do go then I will drive and stay at a local hotel..although looking online, there doesn't appear to be too many in close proximity...and those that are a 30 minute walk (fine for me) are a walk through what looks like quite an unsafe area.

We will see. I will no doubt give WHL a chance and experience it for myself before giving an opinion, but like Twickenham,I think I already know what that will be. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Spenspuma; 15.10.2017 at 07:46 AM.