Is the NFL International Series popularity waning? - Page 26 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 14.10.2017, 03:33 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
I guess you haven't seen the Raiders last three games...
Did they have their starting quarterback for all three of those games?
Old 14.10.2017, 03:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
Did they have their starting quarterback for all three of those games?
No. Not much of an offensive line or defense either.
Old 14.10.2017, 03:47 PM
MVP

To be fair, things change. It's more about how good teams are when they arrive to play in London. Nobody will much care that a team was 12-4 last year if they are 1-6 this year. It does happen. The Rams look far better than most would have expected at the announcement of the schedule. But it's true that the games this time didn't have a huge amount of appeal. But then did they ever? I mean people talk now about Steelers-Vikings being a good game but those were both 0-3 teams when they arrived in London.
Old 14.10.2017, 04:59 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
To be fair, things change. It's more about how good teams are when they arrive to play in London. Nobody will much care that a team was 12-4 last year if they are 1-6 this year. It does happen. The Rams look far better than most would have expected at the announcement of the schedule. But it's true that the games this time didn't have a huge amount of appeal. But then did they ever? I mean people talk now about Steelers-Vikings being a good game but those were both 0-3 teams when they arrived in London.
Brown's Vikings was as much of a dog of game last year as it is this year.

The surprise could be cards rams....last year a cards walkover but this year pots totally the pick of the games.
Old 15.10.2017, 10:58 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
Imho..if the NFL are series about wanting the International Series London to be a success they should make it a rule that the Super bowl winners and runners up have to play in England the following season....that alone would keep the interest over here.
Quite honestly the stupidest post ive read. You do know how the NFL schedule rotation works, right?

Both SB 50 teams failed to make the playoffs last year finishing 3rd in their respective divisions. Hardly quality teams/matchup.
Old 15.10.2017, 03:14 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Quite honestly the stupidest post ive read. You do know how the NFL schedule rotation works, right?

Both SB 50 teams failed to make the playoffs last year finishing 3rd in their respective divisions. Hardly quality teams/matchup.
And forcing them both to play 1 game each in England the following season is impossible because??

Pray tell.

Unless you thought I meant both SB teams play each other ..which I didn't as clearly I know that's not possible.

So maybe retract your statement as you misread mine.

Ta

Last edited by Spenspuma; 15.10.2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 15.10.2017, 04:07 PM
Pro Bowler

Teams that get get to the SB are going to love being "rewarded" with a trip several thousand miles away the following season

No i didnt misread it. A lot of things go into organising the games over here, in some case up to 2 years worth of discussion, you cant wait until the end of January to make those decisions.
Enough people complained on here that this years games didnt have dates till mid-april cos they couldnt get the best deals on accomodation/travel etc.

Around a quarter of the league dont want to come over here or go to Mexico. Forcing them to do so is playing with fire. You can argue the league is already doing this as a sweetener for SB host cities but the reward is hosting the SB not the international trip.
Plain and simple the teams dont see the benefit of the trip and a successful team is going to want to put at a perceived disadvantage.

Sorry, did you want me to forward your suggestion to Kirkwood himself seeing as youre the all knowing eye of the the whole International/London series setup.
Old 15.10.2017, 05:56 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Teams that get get to the SB are going to love being "rewarded" with a trip several thousand miles away the following season

No i didnt misread it. A lot of things go into organising the games over here, in some case up to 2 years worth of discussion, you cant wait until the end of January to make those decisions.
Enough people complained on here that this years games didnt have dates till mid-april cos they couldnt get the best deals on accomodation/travel etc.

Around a quarter of the league dont want to come over here or go to Mexico. Forcing them to do so is playing with fire. You can argue the league is already doing this as a sweetener for SB host cities but the reward is hosting the SB not the international trip.
Plain and simple the teams dont see the benefit of the trip and a successful team is going to want to put at a perceived disadvantage.

Sorry, did you want me to forward your suggestion to Kirkwood himself seeing as youre the all knowing eye of the the whole International/London series setup.
You misread it. No problem.

Don't agree with the disadvantage of winning the SB. Currently the SB champions have the reward of last draft pick...i don't see them complaining that they won the SB so don't deserve that.

You've answered the REAL reason why it won't happen....rather than it being a 'silly' idea....its only a bad idea because the pig headedness of a number of NFL teams who refuse to come to London.

For the International Series to continue in the UK and it to be a success and worthwhile, the NFL needs to better the matchups being sent over. It's not just me who has commented on the quality of the teams(in general) that are being sent to us.

As I've said before....if the Premier league played 3 games a year in New York and we sent over Brighton Vs Huddesfield and West Brom Vs Crystal Palace and Swansea Vs Bournemouth....id fully expect the American soccer fans to start questioning why the PL is sending over such dross and would fully expect the interest in future games to wane unless that was addressed.

It's like we are saying that we should be happy to accept whatever is sent no matter how bad. This is not on....we have moved on from where we were some years ago where it was a huge novelty to see any team grace our shores.

I'd much much rather us have only one game a year that is a great match up..than 4 crappy games.

It really is about time we saw a premium game.
Old 16.10.2017, 09:12 PM
All Pro

Posting this from my hotel room in New York, a day after attending the Jets v Pats game at Metlife. I will give an honest opinion on how it shaped up to a game in Wembley, and I can do it easily in a couple of sentences. In my honest opinion, the only thing that was better at Metlife was the fact that 99.999% of the fans there were fans of the competing teams - which naturally generated a partisan atmosphere you don’t get at our games, given the nature of the 32 jerseys beast.

I never found anything else to be better than Wembley. Outside, obviously there was a true tailgate, but why does thousands of Americans in SUVs eating burgers and playing hackey-sack affect my enjoyment? There was the same sort of entertainment outside Metlife that we get at the Wembley ‘fan fests’. The transport to and from Metlife was similar, the food and drink inside was similar, the presentation with T Shirts fired from canons was similar, the anthems, the whole shebang... Wembley matches up very well.

The most surprising thing was that it almost felt like a 50/50 split between Jets and Pats fans. I expected a lot of Pats fans, but this was crazy.

A very enjoyable experience and a good game - with a scandalous refereeing decision, but hand on heart - the only difference was the partisan nature compared to the 32 jerseys nature.

Roll on IS 2018.
Old 16.10.2017, 10:10 PM
Pro Bowler

And yet you still miss the point.
You cant predict a good matchup 10-12 months in advance.
Take the Cowboys @ Broncos in week 2 of this year. One of the marque match-ups youd go for if you were in charge of things, correct? Good match-up on paper, turned out to be a blow-out game.
Would you have taken Lions @ Saints from this weeks schedule as an enticing game? Turned out a far better game than anybody couldve predicted even on Sunday morning.

And you would still have to consider all the resistance that certain teams are going to put against the idea.

Coming over here is a disadvantage.
10 of the 36 teams to play prior to this year made the playoffs that same season.
1 team of the 36 won the SB the year they visited (Giants in 2007) they are also the only team to make the SB the same year as a London game.
Both the Patriots and 49ers have visited the season following (losing) SB appearances and both games were blow outs.
You dont think teams who play a sport full of numbers and statistics dont/wont look at this?

15 SB winners and 11 losers have failed to make the playoffs the following year. If you want good teams, the 2 from SB are no guarantee.

Name a matchup you would like to see. One thats realistic, not Seahawks v Packers or Steelers v Chiefs/Patriots. They are potential AFC or NFC Championship game matchups an are highly unlikely prospects.