2018 london games possible matchups - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 25.10.2017, 06:29 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_STL31 View Post
Is there any rumour to when the games for next year will be announced?.i think the nfl usually have an owners meeting around week 8 of the season an the international series is always 1 of the topics of discussion. It was Around this time last year when they announced Saints v dolphins. .i wonder if we might here something this weekend for at least 1 of the games next year.
On Richard Graves' Twitter feed this afternoon after an interview on Sky Sports with Matt Waller, he said we won't know the games until January this year.

He also said no Twickenham next year, and slightly alluded to there being an extra game this time, and that they're aiming toward a London team by 2022
Old 25.10.2017, 07:29 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
He also said no Twickenham next year, and slightly alluded to there being an extra game this time, and that they're aiming toward a London team by 2022
If WHL isn't ready (as is rumoured) where will they play the other 2 (3) games?

2018 is a pivotal year for the NFL in the UK. If they get things wrong it could seriously harm the future of the series and it's popularity going forward.

5 games....i hope not
A franchise....i hope not either.

But I suppose they need one for the other to happen to gauge interest.

I think when they increase it to 6 games and the poorer matchups get 3rd empty stadiums...i think that will be the time the NFL decide to call a day on the idea of a Franchise.

We've already seen a dip this year going from 3 to 4 games.....if they increase to 5 or even 6, I see the trend continuing.

I know I'm in the minority big style here, but I'd be happy with just 1 or 2 games a year. I remember fondly back to the days when there was only 1 game a year...and it seemed so much more of a spectacle..it felt so special to see that game and there was what felt like more of a buzz.....now with 4 games it's like people just pick and choose...they don't stay to the end as they can always go the next week....its become more disposable.

Who knows.....i actually don't think things have improved by having 4 games...i just think it's watered the whole project down where people are a lot more flippant toward the games.

For me...if there was to be a Franchise outside the US...id like it to be a European one..where they play say 3 or 4 games in London....one in Spain,France,Germany and maybe Cardiff...something like that. So we get (kind of) our own team...but it isn't ruined by there being too many games in the UK and the attendances not doing the franchise justice. Would also be more inclusive to other European countries.....but I know the idea would never happen as the NFL would obviously want a dedicated base.
Old 25.10.2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
I know I'm in the minority big style here, but I'd be happy with just 1 or 2 games a year. I remember fondly back to the days when there was only 1 game a year...and it seemed so much more of a spectacle..it felt so special to see that game and there was what felt like more of a buzz.....now with 4 games it's like people just pick and choose...they don't stay to the end as they can always go the next week....its become more disposable.
Agree with some of what you say. I would be in favour of there being 2 games over here.
Personally, there are other things that can take a priority of a weekend over a game involving sides that are neutral to me.
I think another factor is that due to the increased interest in the game (in part due to the London games) people become somewhat happier watching their team on tv rather than have a day out watching rivals or neutrally viewed teams when there is multiple sndays to watch a game in person. They'll go if their team is playing but dont/wont to miss their teams big matchup with a div rival. More a kin to how British people are traditionally used to consuming sports - My team or not at all.
As has been said before on many aspects, the London games are aimed at people who live within 2 hours and therefore would not miss much of their teams tv game if they attended a game (2.30pm kick off)
Old 25.10.2017, 08:06 PM
All Pro

The Chargers arent playing a game abroad this year so I have very much doubt they suddenly now have to play one abroad. Can you link to where it has been confirmed?

Furthermore why would any Rams or Chargers game neccarsarily be in London? Mexico City makes a huge amount of sense, and China is long rumoured for the Rams
Old 25.10.2017, 08:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
On Richard Graves' Twitter feed this afternoon after an interview on Sky Sports with Matt Waller, he said we won't know the games until January this year.

After the disaster the Chargers are making of the LA move, I suspect caution over a London franchise is growing by the day.
Old 25.10.2017, 10:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfcBOli27 View Post
Agree with some of what you say. I would be in favour of there being 2 games over here.
Personally, there are other things that can take a priority of a weekend over a game involving sides that are neutral to me.
I think another factor is that due to the increased interest in the game (in part due to the London games) people become somewhat happier watching their team on tv rather than have a day out watching rivals or neutrally viewed teams when there is multiple sndays to watch a game in person. They'll go if their team is playing but dont/wont to miss their teams big matchup with a div rival. More a kin to how British people are traditionally used to consuming sports - My team or not at all.
As has been said before on many aspects, the London games are aimed at people who live within 2 hours and therefore would not miss much of their teams tv game if they attended a game (2.30pm kick off)
This has always been my view too, as I have said before. 4 games is a lot to ask people to go to when they don't even support the teams. 4 games a year doesn't sound too bad, but in reality it is 4 games in 4 games in a 6-weekend stretch. Even me as a Londoner who basically arrives, goes into the stadium, and goes home at the end, it takes around 7 hours of my Sunday. That's time I'm not spending with my son, for example. No problem as an occasional thing, but 4 times in 6 weekends is not an occasional thing anymore. I bet there will be plenty of people with season tickets who view this coming game as a bit of a chore to go to now... fans of neither team, they've done NFL 3 weekends in the last 5, seen poor games, they've got the winless Browns coming and all the while they have missed some much more entertaining games on TV. At some point it's not worth it anymore. It's a bit different when it is your own team.

I am actually considering ditching the season tickets for next year (which we share around anyway) and then making late decisions as to whether or not I will go to a particular game by just snapping up some tickets on the secondary market. That way I can gauge which teams are good, which teams stink, I will know the venues, kickoff times of each game and - most importantly - whether it clashes with a game I would rather watch on TV. I might end up paying a bit more for a game I do want to see but I'm happy to take that risk.
Old 26.10.2017, 06:19 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanda View Post
the chargers were exempt 2017 due to not moving to l.a until after games were announced, all teams with new stadiums must play international games.

raiders are playing all there games in mexico and rams and chargers will play here due to minimum contracted 4 games at wembley, twickenham and white hart lane.
Not necessarily. The Rams rumours for China are very strong.

And you've said a couple of times the Chargers have to play abroad. Can you provide a link to this please?
Old 26.10.2017, 06:22 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
This has always been my view too, as I have said before. 4 games is a lot to ask people to go to when they don't even support the teams. 4 games a year doesn't sound too bad, but in reality it is 4 games in 4 games in a 6-weekend stretch. Even me as a Londoner who basically arrives, goes into the stadium, and goes home at the end, it takes around 7 hours of my Sunday. That's time I'm not spending with my son, for example. No problem as an occasional thing, but 4 times in 6 weekends is not an occasional thing anymore. I bet there will be plenty of people with season tickets who view this coming game as a bit of a chore to go to now... fans of neither team, they've done NFL 3 weekends in the last 5, seen poor games, they've got the winless Browns coming and all the while they have missed some much more entertaining games on TV. At some point it's not worth it anymore. It's a bit different when it is your own team.

I am actually considering ditching the season tickets for next year (which we share around anyway) and then making late decisions as to whether or not I will go to a particular game by just snapping up some tickets on the secondary market. That way I can gauge which teams are good, which teams stink, I will know the venues, kickoff times of each game and - most importantly - whether it clashes with a game I would rather watch on TV. I might end up paying a bit more for a game I do want to see but I'm happy to take that risk.
A
Totally agree I dont want to give up my seats but I dont think I will renew my season ticket next year. The second Wembley game felt like a chore as does the coming weekend. Over 6 hours driving back to back weekends is just spoiling the whole day out now. We will probably get 4 fantastic match ups next year now
Old 26.10.2017, 08:29 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
We've already seen a dip this year going from 3 to 4 games
A dip in what? Attendance?

IIRC, the 2017 Wembley games had the first and third highest attendances ever!
Old 26.10.2017, 09:59 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Not necessarily. The Rams rumours for China are very strong.

And you've said a couple of times the Chargers have to play abroad. Can you provide a link to this please?
The Rams game in China has been moved to 2019 by all accounts, the 1 year delay in building the new stadium has given them a bit more time to play with working out the logistics of playing in China

I'm with you about the Chargers though, I've seen no articles or reports saying the Chargers have to play an international game.

Sure it makes sense for them to be one of the teams and I'd personally be surprised if they aren't one of the teams to give up a home game but I've seen nothing to suggest we can automatically pencil them in

And the bit pinkpanda you mention about all teams with new stadiums must play an international game isn't true either, why would you build a brand new stadium then give up a home game?

Teams who host the Superbowl have a 3 year period I believe it is to play an international game which might be what your thinking off