Nfl sky sports channel - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 25.10.2017, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Default Nfl sky sports channel

Just a thought, is there any possibility at all of Sky Sports having there own NFL dedicated channel?
One that completely takes the place of GamePass because like many current users I am sick of the coverage cutting out o most weeks.
Why can we not somehow have Sky Sports NFL channel work like Gamepass whereby every Sunday we can watch every single game live (With one being on the main channel and the other games live in HD via the red button?) It works for SuperRugby where every game ever game is shown live on Sky sports so why cannot that happen in the NFL?

During the week coverage on the channel would be direct from NFL Network. Would be amazing I think plus we would have perfect satellite quality coverage.
Old 25.10.2017, 04:05 PM
All Pro

There simply isn't enough content unless they buy loads in, in which case it defeats the object or they invest huge amounts in new content, which I doubt for a niche sport.

They is already a huge lack of decent analysts in the UK, just look at the rubbish the BBC put out, a full time channel would need a huge investment in getting good personnel
Old 25.10.2017, 04:51 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisb87@hotmail.com View Post
Just a thought, is there any possibility at all of Sky Sports having there own NFL dedicated channel?
One that completely takes the place of GamePass because like many current users I am sick of the coverage cutting out o most weeks.
Why can we not somehow have Sky Sports NFL channel work like Gamepass whereby every Sunday we can watch every single game live (With one being on the main channel and the other games live in HD via the red button?) It works for SuperRugby where every game ever game is shown live on Sky sports so why cannot that happen in the NFL?

During the week coverage on the channel would be direct from NFL Network. Would be amazing I think plus we would have perfect satellite quality coverage.
What would happen during the other 8 months of the year?
Old 25.10.2017, 05:54 PM
Team Captain

Absolutely Zero Chance of a Sky Sports NFL channel

Rugby doesn't even have its own dedicated channel why would they set one up for a niche sport that only runs from September- Early February

Of course there is the draft and Training Camps etc but again I'd wager over half the people who watch the NFL during the season don't pay all that much attention to that stuff at the time and wont sit down and watch a 5 hour draft show

If Sky had the broadcast rights to MLB, NBA and NHL as well as the NFL Maybe setting up a Sky Sports USA channel would be a viable option allowing people who only watch US sports to subscribe without having the full Sports package but I can't see them winning all those rights at once at any time in the future
Old 26.10.2017, 09:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemarlin87 View Post
Absolutely Zero Chance of a Sky Sports NFL channel

Rugby doesn't even have its own dedicated channel why would they set one up for a niche sport that only runs from September- Early February

Of course there is the draft and Training Camps etc but again I'd wager over half the people who watch the NFL during the season don't pay all that much attention to that stuff at the time and wont sit down and watch a 5 hour draft show

If Sky had the broadcast rights to MLB, NBA and NHL as well as the NFL Maybe setting up a Sky Sports USA channel would be a viable option allowing people who only watch US sports to subscribe without having the full Sports package but I can't see them winning all those rights at once at any time in the future
Hmmm yes agreed, if they could win all those rights then a USAA channel would be best but Sky spends 90% of there money on that s**t premier league stuff
Old 26.10.2017, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
There simply isn't enough content unless they buy loads in, in which case it defeats the object or they invest huge amounts in new content, which I doubt for a niche sport.

They is already a huge lack of decent analysts in the UK, just look at the rubbish the BBC put out, a full time channel would need a huge investment in getting good personnel
Yes so true. The analysis in the UK si beyond believe with how crap it is. Look at Sky sports news, they give less than 30 seconds news coverage per hour during the season, why do they even bother with that if that's all they can give, it's absolute nonsense. And yet they spend 50 minutes talking about rubbish british football stuff. The NFL coverage they do have is awful, definitely would be amazing to use the NFL network coverage throughout the year and have the live games on a red button during the season.
Old 26.10.2017, 10:15 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisb87@hotmail.com View Post
Look at Sky sports news, they give less than 30 seconds news coverage per hour during the season, why do they even bother with that if that's all they can give, it's absolute nonsense. And yet they spend 50 minutes talking about rubbish british football stuff.
It's amazing isn't it, anyone would think British Football is the no1 sport in the country and that almost all Sky Sports subscribers have subscribed to watch it given the amount of time they spend talking about it

They should definitely spend 30 mins every hour taking about the NFL that will be a smart business model

You'be just got to accept that NFL is a niche sport in this country and we are lucky to have the amount of coverage we get, 5 live games a week (6 on 3 of the 4 London game weekends) plus Red zone every Sunday

You may not like Football but Sky Sports will cater to the what 90% maybe more that do then the 10% that don't
Old 26.10.2017, 11:20 AM
Team Captain

I like the idea of a Sky Sports USA channel a lot.

I cant see it happening, not in the immediate future though. Who knows Sky have money to burn after losing out on that bumper champions league deal that BT beat them too a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't right BT off of getting the NFL rights at some point either, they already have College Football, NBA and MLB.
Old 26.10.2017, 11:24 AM
All Pro

I'm sure the "business model" is to make gamepass the product for "hardcore" international NFL fans - the NFL gets to make more money and keep more control that way. They still of course need to supplement that with a significant TV and other media presence, in order to keep attracting new fans and providing for existing fans that aren't willing or able to take the gamepass plunge - but not to the extent they effectively duplicate the main features of their core product on a competing platform and probably end up with less revenue overall as a result.

The issue of course is they've screwed up big time this year - a hopelessly unreliable product and an effective withdrawal of any meaningful customer service.

But since gamepass is now one of the NFL's significant international revenue streams (a small part of every sub they sell goes straight onto your teams salary cap next year), I'm sure that getting Gamepass "back on track" will be the main priority for them (while continuing to have a high priority for developing broadcast partnerships whenever possible of course).

I think that'll only change if the UK NFL "market" gets significantly bigger and breaks into the relative "big time".

Last edited by BigTone; 26.10.2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 26.10.2017, 11:50 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemarlin87 View Post

You'be just got to accept that NFL is a niche sport in this country and we are lucky to have the amount of coverage we get, 5 live games a week
Although 3 of those 5 are shown at a time that almost nobody can watch. I know that's not the Nfls fault and is the nature of the beast because of the time difference. But NFL is not an easy sport to watch in the UK.