2018 london games possible matchups - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 26.10.2017, 11:59 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petaq View Post
A dip in what? Attendance?

IIRC, the 2017 Wembley games had the first and third highest attendances ever!
A dip in attitudes toward the games mainly ..just look how many people are now considering not renewing their season tickets next year as 4 games is a bit much AND the match ups aren't that great.

If we see 5 or 6 games next year and they are in the main unappealing match ups ..i see the trend continuing and people will simply pick and choose the best game(s) - leaving the poorer games with lower attendances.
Old 26.10.2017, 12:01 PM
Starter

Quote:
A dip in what? Attendance?

IIRC, the 2017 Wembley games had the first and third highest attendances ever!
Ticket sales maybe....actual attendance on the day...i beg to differ.
Old 26.10.2017, 01:03 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
All the NFL will care about though is the Ticket sales (unless it gets silly and over half the people don't turn up and its noticeable on the TV etc) as they have the money in the pocket then.

I do agree with some of your points regarding the games though

I have been to all 20 (21 after Sunday) London games and the novelty has certainly worn off, when it went to 2 games a Year I was really happy about the extra game and it still felt like a special day

Again the first year we had 3 games in 2014 the 3rd game felt like a real bonus, when the day came for the 3rd game in 2015 (Lions vs Chiefs) I woke up feeling unwell but made the game, that was the 1st game I didn't really enjoy going to but chalked it up to not feeling too good.

I actually enjoyed all 3 games last year (1st year I had a season ticket) but there was something about them that just didn't feel the same as the others had previously

This year again I've enjoyed going but it just doesn't have the feeling it used to have going to games, granted the quality of the games has contributed to it

One other thing for me anyway the increased amount of games has seen me scale back the merchandise I buy, Up until last year I had the gameday helmets and Mug of every game, along with the programme and I had Teddys from about 5-6 of the games

With the increased games I just can't afford it anymore, The Train costs me £25 every time, so in the space of 6 weeks I've spent 100 quid on Trains (Thats me coming from just an hour and half train away, people from up North are looking at double that) so this year I've only brought a Programme from each game

I also work Sundays so have had to book each one off, not really an Issue but if they increase it further I'd be looking at using a weeks worth of holiday I could of used to have a full week off at another point

Of course I can choose not to go and its my choice to do that just highlighting Issues that come with extra games that have to be considered if a full 8 game slate was to ever materialize over here

I've always been well on the side of NOT having a franchise over here as I just don't think it is sustainable in the very long run and once they've tried and failed we will lose all games as I can't see any way they can then go back to the model we have now.

My brother who I went with previously to most of the others didn't renew his season ticket last year as he had a wedding to pay for and was on honeymoon for the 1st 2 so didn't feel it was worth it but he has said he doesn't think he'll be getting one next season either and will probably just get a Jags ticket (he is a Jags fan)

That hasn't helped my enjoyment either to be honest, 3 blowouts when going by yourself isn't as much fun, at least when my brother was with me we could chat etc

Despite all that I've said I will be renewing my season ticket again for next season as the positives still far outweigh the negatives for going and until that changes I'll continue to go but whilst It probably is the 3 one sided games we've had (which I know can't be helped) something this year has definitely left me less enthused about next season as I've ever been.

Last edited by leemarlin87; 26.10.2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 26.10.2017, 01:13 PM
MVP

Don't rise to him, despite the pages and pages of people disagreeing, this has to be a more dull narrative than Big Ben retiring
Old 26.10.2017, 04:29 PM
All Pro

For clarity, where is that from?

And it says nothing about London. It's a big jump to conclude those will be London games
Old 26.10.2017, 06:52 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
For clarity, where is that from?

And it says nothing about London. It's a big jump to conclude those will be London games
Not that big a jump, all but two of the IS games have been in London!
Old 26.10.2017, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

NFL owners passed a resolution in 2014 that any NFL team playing in a temporary stadium in the future may be selected to give up one home game to London for each season they are in that stadium.

That would put the Rams and Chargers on the hook for both 2018 and 2019. However I'm not sure if they'll be flexible and instead ask either team to play in Mexico or another country, potentially China or Germany.

I'm not certain how that affects the Raiders for the next two seasons as technically they're not moving until 2020. The Rams and Chargers have of course already moved. It does seem likely however that the Raiders will be "Mexico's team" for the next two years.
Old 30.10.2017, 09:42 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
I thought Wembley counted bums on seats (well, turnstile turns).
Old 30.10.2017, 10:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
I thought Wembley counted bums on seats (well, turnstile turns).
He's right actually (stopped clocks and all that... )
Old 30.10.2017, 11:26 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl-errol View Post
attendance is irrelevant, its ticket sales that matter, ur always gonna get hundreds not turning up for personal reasons etc
Yup.

Ticket sales for all the Wembley games will be virtually identical. After all, they've all been sold out. Attendance figures show the top three have been 2016 and 2017.

Either way the idea that there's any indication of an increasing lack of interest has no evidence to support it (apart from the whinging of a few people online - and that's been going on for years).