2019 Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 13.04.2019, 07:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Default 2019 Draft

A little late in the process for this thread perhaps, but better late than never!

So, what do the Cowboys need? and what will the Cowboys get? (and eventually what do we all think of what actually happened).

I think it's fair to say that Safety and Defensive Tackle have been seen as priorities since the Draft season began. With Lawrence re-signed, and the addition of Quinn, it feels like defensive end has fallen down the pecking order even with Randy Gregory's current situation.

On the subject of Safety, it felt like the end of the season was dominated by the dream of signing a certain Free Safety by the name of Earl Thomas. All that talk seemed to point towards the Cowboys looking to upgrade the FS position i.e. Xavier Woods. As the Draft approaches though are the Cowboys (or fans) starting to look towards upgrading the SS position instead i.e. Jeff Heath? Heath is 27 and in the final year of his contract. Woods is 23 and still has 2 years remaining on his (cheap) rookie deal.

So is Safety a viable/sensible option at #58? Highly unlikely that any of the top 5 Safeties will reach them at that pick, but that could be in the range of players like Darnell Savage (Maryland) or Amani Hooker (Iowa), or maybe even Deionte Thompson (Alabama). Personally I think SS's like Taylor Rapp (Washington) and Johnathan Abram (Miss. St.) will be long gone. As will versatile guys like Nasir Adderley (Delaware) and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (Florida). Juan Thornhill (Virginia) tested so well at the Combine he's probably gone too. Rapp, Abram and Hooker appear to box safeties who can cover if required to. The rest fit in somewhere between interchangeable Safeties who can play down or back, nickel/slot coverage safeties, or Centre Field Safeties like Thompson. Maybe the Cowboys get lucky and one of the top 5 falls further than expected but it feels like #58 might be tantalizingly out of reach for the Safety they covert, especially if it's the likes of Adderley, Abram or Rapp.

What do you think? Is there realistically a Safety worth taking at #58? What's the bigger need, FS or SS? For me, unless Taylor Rapp reaches the 50's i'm not trading up to get one, and if Darnell Savage, Amani Hooker, or even Juan Thornhill are staring the Cowboys in the face at #58 I hope they go in a different direction.
Old 20.04.2019, 12:07 PM
Hall of Fame

I've seen quite a few articles lately that have talked about 'worst case scenario's' at #58. Most of them have some pretty highly rated prospects making it to #58 though.

3 of the bigger names still on the board in PFF's recent 'head to head' 3 round mock were Dre'Mont Jones (DT), Jachai Polite (DE) and Deionte Thompson (S). That would be a pretty uninspiring scenario for the Cowboys I think.

Jones isn't stout against the run. Polite is undersized and tested poorly. Thompson was a potential top 10 pick to some months ago, but he's sinking/sunk fast!

I'm starting to think trading up could be the way to go. If they gave up #58 and #90, but got up into the mid 40's and got a 5th round pick back too? I think that could work out well, there is depth in this draft. The guy you get at 90 might not be too far removed from what you can get at 150?
Old 23.04.2019, 09:01 PM
Team Captain

I suspect we will go defense first, if we trade up is another matter. Safety you would imagine would be first choice, though I think we could go anywhere on the D-line. Other rumours are we will go RB in the 4th round to back up Zeke, they were mentioning that on ESPN Dallas radio today.

Anyone think we might draft a QB in the late rounds, as we haven't got much backup for Dak? Or do you think we might sign a veteran to backup Dak?

Would be surprised if we traded up, I would think early 2nd round at best, don't think we could trade up into the 1st Round imo.

Last edited by Parrott1971; 23.04.2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 23.04.2019, 10:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Trading up into round 1 would ruin the Cowboys. No way that's happening. If they can move up a few spots by giving up a late 4th, or even jump up a bit further using #90 but get something back in return like a 5th or 6th I could see that.

I don't see them adding another late round QB. They have Cooper Rush, and added Mike White last year. 2020 is more likely to be the year they change things up at back up QB if Rush or White haven't shown anything. They might bring in a veteran, but that's an added expense they could do without. Imo it's not worth it, especially with Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna onboard.

I can see a RB at #90 tbh. A quality RB that is insurance against an injury to Zeke, and also a little bit of a bargaining chip when Zeke's contract is up for renewal.

I can see Taylor Rapp disappearing before our very eyes in the 47-57 range sadly. Although I've started to get my hopes up that Rapp or even Adderley could fall to 58. That would be perfect! (then they'd go and select someone else! - they never draft who you want them to!)
Old 27.04.2019, 02:33 AM
Hall of Fame

Pick 58: Trysten Hill, DT. UCF.

Well, Rapp AND Adderley found their way to 58....and in true Cowboys style they ignored them and took 'their guy'. It feels like they 'reached' for Hill because they didn't like the other DT options that could make it to 90. If that was the case then it's a slippery slope.

Having watched the cut ups of Hill vs Temple I can see the attraction, but I can also see things that don't fill me with confidence. Maybe, with time, he can develop into a player worthy of this pick, but as it stands I think Rapp or Adderley are better players.

Obviously it comes down to how Garrett & Co. value each position too. History has suggested they don't value Safety OR DT. I don't think they have invested anything more than a 3rd round pick in either during Garrett's reign.

I'm going to file this one as a disappointing pick for me given what was available. This is the 17th Cowboys Draft that I've followed as closely as I can, and I can honestly say, more often than not their 2nd round picks have not yielded the desired results.
Old 27.04.2019, 12:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Arm length of Defensive linemen drafted in the first 4 rounds since Rod Marinelli became Defensive Co-ordinator:

2019. 58: Trysten Hill, DT. UCF. - 33 3/8".
2018. 116: Dorance Armstrong, DE. Kansas. - 34 3/4".
2017. 28: Taco Charlton, DE. Michigan. - 34 1/4".
2016. 67: Maliek Collins, DT. Nebraska. - 33 1/8".
2015. 60: Randy Gregory, DE. Nebraska. - 34".
2014. 34: Demarcus Lawrence, DE. Boise State. - 33 3/4".

Safe to say he likes linemen to have some length, and looking at this i'd say 33" arms is the threshold.

Not to say they'd pass on the Aaron Donald's and Ed Oliver's of this world if they had the chance, but I think they certainly limit the pool of available players they target when it comes to arm length. I think Marinelli even highlight Hill's arm length when asked about the Trysten Hill pick, noting you don't tend to get many under tackles with that kind of length.
Old 27.04.2019, 01:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Pick 90: Connor McGovern, G. Penn State.

A surprise pick really, it felt to me like they'd go for a DB after passing on them at 58, but you can connect the dots as to why they added to the O line. I do wonder though if they had Damien Harris snatched from under their noses by the Patriots.

After watching his vs Michigan tape he certainly looks a solid pick at 90. He's controlled as a pass blocker and he does a good job of absorbing the rush. He can anchor and bend at the waist, plus he appears to have the length to handle longer defensive tackles. As a run blocker he drives his feet well if he latches on, but there are times when he over extends and gets off balance, or fails to get hold of the defender.

All signs point to La'el Collins being allowed to walk into Free Agency, or Connor Williams being moved to OT. It's a wise move in terms of the cap and balancing some big contracts moving forward. I think it also highlights the fact that you can only invest so much cap space in your Offensive Line. A LT, a C and a G, you can't pay top dollar to more than that for a prolonged period of time. Especially if you have a talented roster.
Old 28.04.2019, 02:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Dallas Cowboys 2019 Draft Class:

(Round.Pick)

1:27: *TRADED* Amari Cooper, WR. Oakland
2.58: Trysten Hill, DT. UCF
3.90: Connor McGovern, G. Penn State
4.128: Tony Pollard, RB. Memphis
5.158: Michael Jackson, CB. Miami (FL)
5.165: Joe Jackson, DE. Miami (FL)
6.213: Donovan Wilson, S. Texas A&M
7.218: Mike Weber, RB. Ohio State
7.241: Jalen Jelks, DE. Oregon

Why is it you spend years wanting the Cowboys to spend their first pick of the Draft on a DT, then the year they actually do you think it's a mistake? Maybe it's a little different because it was pick 58, and you're aren't going to land an Ed Oliver type late in the 2nd round, but it just feels like they've added a less than perfect player at a very important position.

Going off on a tangent for a moment, I think without the Amari Cooper trade last season we would've been in a prime position to add Ed Oliver in this Draft. The Cowboys were heading for a top 10 pick before the Amari's addition helped turn things around.

Back to reality though. They said they feel better about Safety than the general perception, and there was an obvious need at DT, but passing on Rapp and Adderley at 58 is hard to swallow. I think either sets the Cowboys up long term at Safety. Rapp is more of a box Safety, but a very smart, very reliable box Safety. Adderley is more an interchangeable Safety, he's billed as a Free Safety but he's not afraid to hit. Instead the Cowboys took Hill at 58 and a S (Donovan Wilson) at 213. I wonder if they'd been better served addressing those needs in reverse order?

It's hard to truly tell what's happening from a muted video feed of the Cowboys War Room, but I really felt like they would've taken Damien Harris at 90 if the Pats hadn't swooped in for him at 87. Connor McGovern seems like a solid pick and one that makes a lot of sense for 2020, but with the Cowboys about to start dishing out some serious contracts the 2019 Draft feels like it should've been about.....2019. They hadn't had much contact with McGovern by all accounts. Harris on the other hand was a '30 visit', and Stephen Jones didn't look overly impressed around the time Harris came off the board either. Damian Harris would've been the perfect back up to Zeke, and if heaven forbid anything happened to Zeke then the wheels wouldn't have fallen off the offence. It's all hypothetical of course because the Cowboys never got the chance to find out.

That put even more pressure on acquiring Tony Pollard I guess, because pick 128 seemed a little early to make that move. No one knows if the Cowboys had an interest in CB Isaiah Johnson (Houston) as some have suggested, but I for one think they did. Stephen Jones said they lost out on a couple of targets and that's why they traded back from 136. Well if you look at who went between 128 (the Pollard pick) and 136, logic suggests they had their eye on either Johnson, Notre Dame LB Drue Tranquill, and/or DE John Cominsky. The Raiders, Pats and Rams had already taken a RB, so I think they could've landed Pollard at 136 and the player they had their eye on at 128. Again, we'll never know one way or the other.

The trade back from 136 did land them Joe Jackson, Donovan Wilson, and Mike Weber, so perhaps it'll work out in the end. Looking at the roster and the numbers game though it's hard to see a roster spot for some of these picks come September.

In reality, looking back over the Draft if they really wanted a 3 technique DT then pick 58 was the spot to do it. Athletically Hill was probably the best choice too. It's just a shame it cost them a really good Safety in the process, but you can't have them all.

I can't see this being a memorable Draft Class, but maybe Hill and McGovern paired with Amari Cooper will give the Cowboys 3 starters by 2020. 3 starters from a Draft Class is nothing to complain about, in fact its probably above average.

Time will tell.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 28.04.2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 29.04.2019, 03:21 PM
Team Captain

I still cant believe we didn't take a safety with either our first or 2nd picks. Did we really need an O Lineman, even with the injuries?

Expected a RB, just wasn't expecting two.

You can never have too many pass rushes and it was nice to get a DT as 2 or 3 of our D Line usually get suspended during the season
Old 29.04.2019, 08:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Have a go at putting together your ideal Draft now we know where everyone went. There is a thread 'Your 'what if' Draft'. It's good fun, and gives you a better understanding of the depth in the Draft and perhaps why the Cowboys did what they did.

As for Safety - Yes, it was really tough to see them pass on Rapp and Adderley. When you look at the roster though, and if you think Xavier Woods is your long term answer at FS, then I can see why they did. George Iloka isn't a world beater, but he's a veteran they've added to the mix at SS too.

That said, I think you at worst Rapp or Adderley would have made for a very good 3 man rotation at Safety, or sometimes you could even have found a way to get 3 safeties on the field at once.

I think it's either another case of Rod Marinelli not seeing the value in the position, or the Cowboys/Marinelli/Richard just didn't think they (Rapp/Adderley) were the perfect fit. Probably the latter.