The Draft.... - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 04.01.2014, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Default The Draft....

Anybody else think it's time to start thinking about the future QB position wise ? I'm not a Romo hater but he's not getting any younger, injuries are starting to build up and sooner or later the hate he continues to receive will either make or break him.

With a supposedly deep QB class we could spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on a QB (bit like we did with McGee a few years ago) and see what happens. Couple of years learning behind a then 35-36 year old Romo wouldn't be a bad thing.

Offensively we seem to be in a good place bar line play maybe. Defensively we need help, secondary and a 1st rate pass rushing linebacker would be good additions to start with. I know defensively we were shocking but I'm hoping it was an ill fitting scheme and Kiffin will soon be gone....retirement or not. A fit Sean Lee, Ware back to his old self, Claibourne wakes up and smells the coffee and maybe we're better than we think. Some fresh blood and some depth wouldn't go amiss there with only O line and QB potential should be considered outside of defense this draft.

Look at Nick Foles in Philly, 3rd rounder when Vick seemed set in stone and now they dare not go back.

Any other thoughts ? Someone like Aaron Murray from Georgia may drop a little due to his injury this year ? If we don't this year....when ?
Old 05.01.2014, 02:12 PM
Team Captain

I'm not a Romo hater either, but agree that at his age & with the two back surgeries he has had we should certainly be looking at the QB of the future.

One problem that we always have, is that whilst we are not good enough to make the play-offs or a SB run we are also not bad enough to get a top 10 pick. Picking a project QB as low down as we do is always a gamble especially when we have so many defensive needs that are more urgent.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick a low round QB in this years draft, but for me the biggest need is on the D Line.

Even with an average secondary, if you can get pressure on the QB with a four man rush, the secondary don't have to hold up for so long. With no pressure, even the greatest secondary have trouble.
Old 05.01.2014, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Yeah I agree. I do think we miss that stud pass rush linebacker, Lee is a kind of swiss army knife which every team needs but someone who can rush the passer ala Clay Matthews would be a great pick up.

Line help on both sides of the ball would be more than welcome. Tyron can't do it all himself and Frederick is a start for a young, hungry O Line. I guess Ware is a bit Romo like in that he's also not getting younger so fresh blood there (learning from an all time great) would be good.

I just feel we are in danger of missing the boat at the most pivotal position in football....QB. Tony has done brilliantly regardless of what the masses say but do we wait until enough is enough, take someone else's "talent" (Mallett, Barkley perhaps ?) and hope OR do like Green Bay did with Rodgers, draft a talent with an entrenched vet still pulling the strings.

But yeah as I said I agree. Defense HAS to come first....just a bit of love in a deep draft might not go amiss
Old 10.01.2014, 03:33 PM
Hall of Fame

We have to start looking to the future at QB, in the best case scenario Romo has 3 years left in him in, pending successful back surgery. The fact that very few, if any, quality QB's reach free agency these days, coupled with our salary cap situation, means the draft is obviously our best solution.

Taking the approach of looking for a diamond in the rough so to speak, drafting a QB in rounds 3-7, concerns me though. Look back at all the QB's drafted in rds 3-7 in the last 10 years (81 in total i think). Of those 81, 81!, players taken, i can only find 5 'successes'.

2013: 3rd rd - Mike Glennon Tampa Bay.
2012: 3rd rd - Russel Wilson, Seattle. Nick Foles, Philadelphia.
4th rd - Kirk Cousins, Washington
2004: 3rd rd - Matt Schaub, Atlanta

Wilson could be great, Foles is a starter, Glennon could be too, and its too early to tell what Cousins will become. Schaub sat for 3 years before being traded to Houston to be the starter.

If we want a QB of the future, i say go get someone in the 1st rd or top of the 2nd, if not this year then next. I know its no guarantee of finding the next Andrew Luck, and 1st and 2nd rounders fail too, but i don't like the odds of success outside of the top 2 rounds either.
Old 15.01.2014, 12:29 AM
Hall of Fame

What do people think about looking for a guard early in the draft to slot in between Smith and Fredricks? Look at the success the 49ers have had with Staley (no.28), Iupati (no.17) and Davis (no.11), all 1st rounders.

No.16/17 might be too early to take someone like Yankey/Sua'Filo/Richardson, but if the impact DT's like Jernigan/Donald are off the board i'd have no problem with picking a top rated guard instead. Guys like Gabe Jackson, and maybe one of the others, might even be there in the middle of rd 2. I like the idea of possibly make the left side of our line a force for years to come, would help the transition to our future QB too.
Old 15.01.2014, 06:16 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
What do people think about looking for a guard early in the draft to slot in between Smith and Fredricks? Look at the success the 49ers have had with Staley (no.28), Iupati (no.17) and Davis (no.11), all 1st rounders.

No.16/17 might be too early to take someone like Yankey/Sua'Filo/Richardson, but if the impact DT's like Jernigan/Donald are off the board i'd have no problem with picking a top rated guard instead. Guys like Gabe Jackson, and maybe one of the others, might even be there in the middle of rd 2. I like the idea of possibly make the left side of our line a force for years to come, would help the transition to our future QB too.
If they are serious about making the 4-3 scheme work then they have to address both DE and DT positions in the draft. The pass rush was almost non-existent at times and with Hatcher to be a free agent, Spencer not certain to return and Ware battling injuries (and a high cap figure) depth and talent at both positions is paper thin.

For me it's defensive line first, followed by safety assuming there's a suitable prospect still on the board. Look at other positions from round 3 on.
Old 15.01.2014, 10:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd71 View Post
If they are serious about making the 4-3 scheme work then they have to address both DE and DT positions in the draft. The pass rush was almost non-existent at times and with Hatcher to be a free agent, Spencer not certain to return and Ware battling injuries (and a high cap figure) depth and talent at both positions is paper thin.

For me it's defensive line first, followed by safety assuming there's a suitable prospect still on the board. Look at other positions from round 3 on.
I hope they are serious about making this 4-3 work. If they invest in 4-3 personnel then change their mind and want to go back to a 3-4 it'll be a nightmare. It took Parcells long enough to assemble the right 3-4 personnel the first time round. If they keep Marinelli on board then i'd say that's a good sign of keeping the 4-3 beyond next season (when Kiffin retires).

Looking at the draft order, I could see 5/6 teams going D-line before our pick. If they did get itchy feet about this 4-3 defence though, Stephon Tuitt and Louis Nix from Notre Dame wouldn't be bad as they'd fit both fronts. A lot of early talk about Kony Ealy from Missouri too, but don't see anything special from what i've seen.
Old 16.01.2014, 07:42 PM
Team Captain

Defense, and in particular D-Line have to be the priority in the draft.

To be honest we could use ALL of our draft picks on the D, and none of them would be wasted picks
Old 16.01.2014, 07:56 PM
Hall of Fame

I like Kareem Martin, DE, N.Carolina. As a senior he was first team All ACC, 78 tackles, 20 for a loss, and 11 sacks. Hope he doesn't start to fly up the draft boards or he'll be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. He's got good size too, 6'6 265lbs, not the most explosive player, but seems an all round solid DE.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 16.01.2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 23.03.2014, 06:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Just completed my picks in the NFLUK 7 Round Mock Draft. Here's how it's gone so far:

#11: Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt. 6'1, 288lbs:

#47: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU. 6'3, 243lbs:

#119: Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame. 6'3, 310lbs:

#150: Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford. 6'4, 262lbs:

#218: LaDarius Perkins, RB, Mississippi State. 5'7, 195lbs:

#238: Shaquelle Evans, WR, UCLA. 6'1, 213lbs:

#248: Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State. 6'3, 296lbs:

#251: Brandon Linder, G, Miami. 6'6, 311lbs:

#254: Zach Moore, DE, Concordia (MN). 6'5, 269lbs:

Undrafted Free Agents:

Dustin Vaughan, QB, West Texas A&M
Pierre Warren, FS, Jacksonville State