The Draft.... - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 17.04.2014, 10:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Right lets try and kick start a little discussion on this thread!

Positionally, where do you want to see additions on defence and what rounds are you happy to spend the picks in?

D-Line:

I think Aaron Donald is the stand out choice for the D-line (obviously Clowney is in the discussion too, but he has even less chance of being available than Donald). I'd really like a true speed guy for the RDE, but this draft just doesn't match up with that need, especially early on. Maybe Barr can be that guy, but beyond that I think we can wait till later. We seem to have decent depth for the LDE, but if guys like Crichton or Martin are there in rd2 I'd be happy with either. Easley is the dark horse in all this though, if he's healthy he may be a steal in rd2.

So, DT rd 1 - Donald. Rd 2 - Easley/Jernigan Rd 3 - DaQuan Jones . DE Rd 1 - Barr. Rd 2 - Crichton/Martin/Marcus Smith

LB's:

I took Kyle Van Noy in the mock draft, but I'm starting to wonder if we should hold off LB help until the 3rd rd or later. We've got Carter, Durant, Lee, and Holloman, and with a guy coming off the field for the Nickel perhaps we don't need to spend a high pick on any more help. I still like Van Noy, and Ryan Shazier's speed is appealing, but there seems to be plenty of depth later in the draft.

Rd 2 - Shazier/Van Noy. Rd 3 onwards - athletic/speed guys

DB's:

How happy are you with the safeties? Beyond Barry Church I'm not convinced. We need a center fielder at FS imo. Seems as though Pryor, Clinton Dix and Jimmy Ward could be 1st rd guys. If we're going to spend early on the pass rush then I think we might as well wait till the later rounds for help. Terrance Brooks might be a guy to take a look at, but I don't really want to throw more 4th/5th rd picks into an already uncertain position battle.

Unless a top CB falls unexpectedly then I expect Carr, Scandrick and Claibourne will be our top 3 guys. Claibourne is in a make or break year, Carr's contract is huge, and Scandrick may be the best fit for our scheme.

Rd 2 - Ward if he's there. Rd 3 - Brooks. Rd 6/7 - weight/height/speed guys

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 17.04.2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01.05.2014, 09:09 AM
Team Captain

I liked the way your Mock panned out getting Donald and Van Noy (who I've been tracking for a while now since an outstanding Bowl game just over a year ago). BUT, the worry for me is where that leaves us at Safety.

I really thought we were trading back for Matt Elam (or possibly Jonathan Cyprien) last year, and like many, I was rather deflated to see Frederick get selected at that spot.

While I would be very tempted to do as you did in the Mock and trade up to get Donald, who simply will not get past Chicago, the flip side is that we could do with depth in the draft, and need the early round picks we have.

Personally, I'd stay put at 16 and sprint to the podium if Donald is still there. But if he's gone, I take Calvin Pryor. If all three are there, we might drop back a few picks, and pick up whichever of Pryor, Clinton-Dix or Ward is still there, but it's a risk.

Having gone S in Rd 1, my target is then Scott Crichton in Rd 2.

I'm not in a big rush at LB, unless there is great value with someone dropping, but I don't think the drop-off from Round 2-5 is too severe. We can take our time. Whereas safety and pass-rush is where I'd concentrate my early picks. If we could move up from the 3rd into the 2nd, then maybe we could get Van Noy as well.

What a difference to our defence if we could come out of it with Pryor, Crichton and Van Noy.

As for QB, if we take someone this year, it's a project. 4th round, coming off an injury, or has great athleticism, but needs work on his mechanics. Where is Aaron Murray getting projected?
Old 01.05.2014, 09:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritt 23 View Post
I liked the way your Mock panned out getting Donald and Van Noy (who I've been tracking for a while now since an outstanding Bowl game just over a year ago). BUT, the worry for me is where that leaves us at Safety.

I really thought we were trading back for Matt Elam (or possibly Jonathan Cyprien) last year, and like many, I was rather deflated to see Frederick get selected at that spot.

While I would be very tempted to do as you did in the Mock and trade up to get Donald, who simply will not get past Chicago, the flip side is that we could do with depth in the draft, and need the early round picks we have.

Personally, I'd stay put at 16 and sprint to the podium if Donald is still there. But if he's gone, I take Calvin Pryor. If all three are there, we might drop back a few picks, and pick up whichever of Pryor, Clinton-Dix or Ward is still there, but it's a risk.

Having gone S in Rd 1, my target is then Scott Crichton in Rd 2.

I'm not in a big rush at LB, unless there is great value with someone dropping, but I don't think the drop-off from Round 2-5 is too severe. We can take our time. Whereas safety and pass-rush is where I'd concentrate my early picks. If we could move up from the 3rd into the 2nd, then maybe we could get Van Noy as well.

What a difference to our defence if we could come out of it with Pryor, Crichton and Van Noy.

As for QB, if we take someone this year, it's a project. 4th round, coming off an injury, or has great athleticism, but needs work on his mechanics. Where is Aaron Murray getting projected?
For me safety is either round 1 or 2, or we take a flyer on someone late in the draft. Had I not traded up for Donald in that mock, either Pryor or Clinton-Dix would have probably been available at #16.

That Van Noy pick was sandwiched between several safeties, T.Brooks and D.Bailey 2 picks beforehand, and Jimmy Ward and D.Bucannon the 2 picks after. So it looks like several safeties will come off the board before the end of round 2 come the draft. It then becomes a case of are we going to find anyone any better than what we already have? I'm not sure we will.

Trading away that 3rd round pick does come back to bite you though. Dominique Easley, Marcus Smith, Scott Crichton and DeMarcus Lawerence were all available at #78.

As for your comment on QB's, I'm torn. If Manziel falls to #16, and Donald is off the board, then I'm really starting to consider it. A lot of talk is about it being too early for the Cowboys to take a QB, but going off the figures I've seen, Romo is here for 2 more years, but beyond that? As for Aaron Murray, he seems to be being projected as a 4th round guy, maybe 3rd round. I think he brings certain intangibles in terms of leadership that may see him go before the end of round 3, and if I'm honest I really can't see him making it past the teams at the top of round 4.

As others have said though, it's going to be very hard to draft guys that don't help Jason Garrett out in 2014 i.e QB's, as this time next year, if we fail to make the play-offs or worse, Garrett will be gone. With only 1 year left on Garrett's contract, Jerry is hamstringing us in terms of the draft in some ways. If a new staff comes in, they could bring a new defensive scheme and want 'their guy' as a future QB.
Old 01.05.2014, 10:04 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
As others have said though, it's going to be very hard to draft guys that don't help Jason Garrett out in 2014 i.e QB's, as this time next year, if we fail to make the play-offs or worse, Garrett will be gone. With only 1 year left on Garrett's contract, Jerry is hamstringing us in terms of the draft in some ways. If a new staff comes in, they could bring a new defensive scheme and want 'their guy' as a future QB.
Look for Jerry to extend Garrett in September/October if Cowboys can get off to a good start (The schedule may help this with 6 out of first 9 at home). He would love to do this. There are a lot of misconceptions about Jerry out there but one thing he hates doing is interviewing/appointing head coaches. I remember when Wade Phillips was hired and Jerry spent nearly a week interviewing by the end of it he was exhausted and intimated he found it really hard going.

The last thing Jerry wants to do is fire Garrett. I think Garratt has not given him any opportunity to extend his contract but if he does then I think Jerry will.

Last edited by Majicman; 01.05.2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01.05.2014, 10:32 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
Look for Jerry to extend Garrett in September/October if Cowboys can get off to a good start (The schedule may help this with 6 out of first 9 at home). He would love to do this. There are a lot of misconceptions about Jerry out there but one thing he hates doing is interviewing/appointing head coaches. I remember when Wade Phillips was hired and Jerry spent nearly a week interviewing by the end of it he was exhausted and intimated he found it really hard going.

The last thing Jerry wants to do is fire Garrett. I think Garratt has not given him any opportunity to extend his contract but if he does then I think Jerry will.
I really hope he doesn't jump on a positive start to extend him. I'd be much happier to see how the season panned out, although the pessimist in me doesn't see us getting off to a great start anyway, so I'm not sure I need to worry.

In terms of appointing HC's, I think the longer we've gone without success the more Jerry puts pressure on himself to make the 'right appointment', which is what puts him under so much duress. It must be a nightmare to be fair.

Garrett is Jerry's 'guy' though, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him give Garrett every opportunity to earn an extension. I just hate the uncertainty, it affects everything connected with building the team, but I suppose contracts run down, so inevitably you're going to be faced with this every now and again.
Old 01.05.2014, 11:28 AM
Team Captain

As far as Garrett goes, I know this will sound like a reach, but just let this idea niggle away at the back of your mind for a while ...

Garrett is being groomed for a front office role!

Roles and responsibilities are not set in stone, so stepping upstairs from HC doesn't automatically mean the title of GM, and JJ having to take a back seat, but I honestly think that something like that is going on.

Jones is in his 70s, and although a lot of people paint him as this power-crazed oligarch who has to be in charge of everything, we all change over time, we all mellow, and although Jones is probably too proud to ever call it quits completely and hand over the keys to anyone, certainly outside of his family, but there are bound to be aspects of the job he no longer wants to do. Maybe they are aspects that neither Stephen nor Jerry Jnr are particularly good at either.

While I expect Jerry to maintain all the titles he currently has, I can see his actual involvement in the detail reducing, and maybe that is what Garrett steps upstairs to do. That could even start with Jason as "Head of Recruitment and Scouting" heading up the recruitment of his successor as HC. If Jerry found that "exhausting" then just come in at the end. Let others do the legwork, and just conduct the final interviews. 2 days and it's done.

Jason has had so many roles and responsibilities on the coaching side given to him, taken off him, and given to him again, it just feels like we are killing time until Jerry is ready to welcome him upstairs.

Ok, I may be MILES off the mark, but that's what my imagination does when I watch a HC stand there not being trusted to call offence or defence game after game, yet still being kept on at the end of ANOTHER 8-8 season. He MUST be getting groomed for something further up the ladder.

Just a theory, probably rubbish.
Old 01.05.2014, 11:56 AM
Hall of Fame

I see your logic but,

Where does appointing Garrett as "Head of Recruitment and Scouting" leave Will McClay and his assistant director of player personnel position, or Director of Scouting Tom Ciskowski? Lately we've kept people around, or created positions (Kiffin) that just muddy the waters. Too many cooks.

As a Princeton graduate I don't doubt Garrett has the brains for a Front Office job, but how will a new HC feel about the former HC moving 'upstairs'? I'm sure theey tried to get Parcells to stay around in some capacity. It's similar to Linehan/Callahan and Marinelli/Kiffin. I'm not sure it creates a great atmosphere.

Jerry will never publicly step back, but I think we are in the early stages of a transition to Stephen. Not that I'm fully convinced by that move yet either, he could develop into a chip off the ol' block in time. People do seem to think Stephen is a little more.......conservative? more suited to the GM role? not sure how to describe it, but the opinion is he may bring a more 'common sense' approach to the position anyway.
Old 01.05.2014, 01:59 PM
Team Captain

I've not given much thought to the exact title, and to be honest, it barely matters exactly what he's called. It will be "another cook" though at some point.

Garrett is a bright bloke, and JJ has just given the impression that he really likes him, and wants him to be heavily involved, but just isn't sure of the role he is to play just yet.

As OC he had a great collection of weapons, that under-performed, and he's been no more impressive for me as HC. But he remains, even when OC and DC are calling plays straight onto the field, and he just stands there looking like a frustrated fan.

I plucked out Scouting and Recruitment simply because I do think this is an area that JJ is prepared to step back from a little bit. The last few drafts have apparently been less of him, and more of the guys who are being paid specifically to identify talent.

Having said all that, you are absolutely right about us just generally hanging on to people for too long. Whether it's an ill-advised contract extension for an aging player, or co-ordinators who have handed the reigns over. So, why should that not be the case with Garrett as well? No reason, just a gut feel.

Anyway, back to the draft ...

... who are the late round sleepers / bargains that you have your eyes on?

I like the giant WR out of Rutgers, Brandon Coleman, who could very well be around in the 4th.

If we don't get the pass rush at the top of the draft, I like Will Clarke, who will also be somewhere around the 4th Rd.

We always need a bit more cover at CB, especially with Claiborne not yet matching up to expectations, and I like Terrance Mitchell, who I have on my Board as a 6th Rd pick.
Old 01.05.2014, 02:16 PM
Starter

The guy they really like is Will McClay. They're putting a lot of trust in him to run the draft board for them.

Garrett's a coach at the end of the day and he's from a family of coaches. If he's fired at the end of the season I could see him working for the Cowboys at some point in the future.

Let's hope this year there's no schoolboy errors made like having a player ranked 5 on your draft board then passing on him!
Old 01.05.2014, 04:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritt 23 View Post

Anyway, back to the draft ...

... who are the late round sleepers / bargains that you have your eyes on?

I like the giant WR out of Rutgers, Brandon Coleman, who could very well be around in the 4th.

If we don't get the pass rush at the top of the draft, I like Will Clarke, who will also be somewhere around the 4th Rd.

We always need a bit more cover at CB, especially with Claiborne not yet matching up to expectations, and I like Terrance Mitchell, who I have on my Board as a 6th Rd pick.
WR - I like TJ Jones, Notre Dame, not sure the Cowboys will, but I like his tape. A little on the lightweight side though. A 5th round option. Devin Street might be another option beyond round 4.

DE - I'm intrigued by Ben Gardner, Stanford. I'm not sure where he fits, but again I liked his tape. Anywhere from 5th - 7th round would be fine with me. Would like a speed guy, which Gardner isn't, but I'm not sold on any late in the draft.

OG - I took Chris Watt, Notre Dame, in the mock. People seem to have him all over their boards, so if he makes it to round 5........

I think Will Clarke will definitely be on their radar, even more so if they miss out on someone like Kareem Martin with their first 3 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
The guy they really like is Will McClay. They're putting a lot of trust in him to run the draft board for them.

Garrett's a coach at the end of the day and he's from a family of coaches. If he's fired at the end of the season I could see him working for the Cowboys at some point in the future.

Let's hope this year there's no schoolboy errors made like having a player ranked 5 on your draft board then passing on him!
I have no idea how that Floyd situation came to pass. It's not like you haven't got long enough to sort your board out. If you don't like a guy, why is he sat at #5 on your board?! Kind of makes the whole idea of the board pointless in a way.