The Draft.... - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 01.05.2014, 08:35 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post

I have no idea how that Floyd situation came to pass. It's not like you haven't got long enough to sort your board out. If you don't like a guy, why is he sat at #5 on your board?! Kind of makes the whole idea of the board pointless in a way.
Think our new DEF Coordinator had a word in Jerry's ear.
Old 02.05.2014, 10:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
Think our new DEF Coordinator had a word in Jerry's ear.
Apparently a disconnect between what the scouts liked vs what the coaches wanted. It makes for a very difficult process if coaches and scouts don't see the same thing. If coaches are going to win out over the scouts when it comes down to it, then scouts must feel like 'what's the point in what we do if no one listens to it?!'

I know coaches don't have the time to put in the work scouts do, but surely you have to trust the scouts you employ? Tell them what you want from a player before the process starts way back at the beginning of the college season, then by the time February arrives you should all be on a similar page. Clearly not that straight forward though.
Old 06.05.2014, 05:15 PM
Hall of Fame

The draft is closing in fast. Any new views on what you think/want to happen?

I think the Donald boat has sailed sadly, would have been a perfect pick in my eyes too.

A lot of talk about Barr at #16. Personally, I hope another team, possibly one that runs a 3-4, takes him before we have to make a decision. As an OLB in a 3-4 I like him, but I'm not convinced he can make an impact as a DE in a 4-3, especially as a rookie.

Seems Manziel falling to #16 is a pipe dream, so we'll skip that, although I'd want him if he did.

Zach Martin seems unlikely to reach us either.

That leaves someone like Pryor or Ha Ha, Shazier, a WR, or an OG. I'm fine with taking either of the top 2 safeties if they are there, but beyond that we need to trade back.

Even if we don't get 'value' when trading back, if we can get an extra pick in Rd 3 and still stay in the 1st Rd as well then lets do it. This draft is deep enough that if options A, B, and C are off the board at #16, we could still move back into the late 20's and get a good prospect.
Old 07.05.2014, 12:16 PM
Starter

I would like to see us trade down to the mid 20's and try and pick up a 1st rounder for next year. The value is in picking in the 20's.

What I don't want to see is us trading up in the first round under any circumstances.

I agree if Manziel does fall to 16 we must draft him (bet we won't though!)

Last edited by Majicman; 07.05.2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07.05.2014, 12:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would like to see us trade down to the mid 20's and try and pick up a 1st rounder for next year. The value is in picking in the 20's.

What I don't want to see is us trading up in the first round under any circumstances.

I agree if Manziel does fall to 16 we must draft him (bet we won't though!)
Imo we have little to no chance of bagging a 2015 1st round pick AND staying the 1st round of this draft too.

You have a point about next years picks though, if we could drop back 10 places say, but get a 2015 2nd rounder and a later round 2014 pick too I'd be happy. We are approaching rebuilding mode, to have an extra pick next year for J.Garrett, or whoever is the HC, would be great.

I know most people would want as many picks this year as possible, but in a deep draft the guy you get at #16 may be comparable to the guy you could get at #26 or #28. Maybe we could entice the Panthers to give up next years 2nd to move up 12 picks if no one we like is there at #16?
Old 07.05.2014, 01:00 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Imo we have little to no chance of bagging a 2015 1st round pick AND staying the 1st round of this draft too.
Yes you could be right but maybe if 1 of the big 3 QB'S falls?

Remember when the Bills gave us a 1st round pick so they could get Losman

I think we would have to maybe trade down twice right to the back of the round
Old 07.05.2014, 03:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes you could be right but maybe if 1 of the big 3 QB'S falls?

Remember when the Bills gave us a 1st round pick so they could get Losman

I think we would have to maybe trade down twice right to the back of the round
No doubt there will be some interest in one of the QB's at #16, it's looking like one of the top 3 guys will be there at least. Even in that scenario though, as was the case in the J.P.Losman trade, if you get a 2015 1st rounder it's only because we drop into the 2nd round of this years draft. Same was true of the Brady Quinn trade too.

I wouldn't want to drop any further than #35 though, ideally wouldn't want to go lower #28 really. Problem is if teams are looking to get back into round 1 for a QB it's more than likely to be teams like Jacksonville (39) and Minnesota (40), which is a long way back.
Old 09.05.2014, 01:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Johnny was in our grasp.....IN OUR GRASP!!!

Solid pick in Martin though. Any chance of Manziel at #47......................
Old 09.05.2014, 03:09 AM
Hall of Fame

Glad Johnny Football went to an AFC team.

After Martin at #16, tomorrow has to be defence/defence.....................
Old 09.05.2014, 09:00 AM
Starter

The time to take a QB is not when you need one but a little bit before. Poor decision not to take Manziel in my opinion.

When it comes to drafting a QB in the next few years it is likely we will have to give something up unless one falls in our lap. Unless Manziel is not that good you have to take him for the value.

I think having Manziel behind Romo would have improved the play of Romo.