Training Camp - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 14.08.2015, 04:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Well some ups and downs on both sides of the ball in the Chargers game, but that's to be expected.

The defence managed to stuff some runs in the backfield, including nice plays by Damien Wilson, Davon Coleman and Ben Gardner, but they also gave up plenty of yards too, especially to Brandon Oliver. Same with the pass rush, managed to cause some disruption, Jack Crawford and Randy Gregory getting to the QB, but at other times the front four couldn't collapse the pocket. A few too many missed tackles for Marinelli's liking i expect as well.

On offence it was a little stop start. They moved the ball well early, until the untimely fumbled snap by Weeden. The run game had some moments, and Gus 'the bus' Johnson ground out some yards and a TD. Lache Seastrunk made a few nice cuts, but he didn't really manage to break anything of note. Another mixed bag at QB and WR, early on Williams, Beasley and Street made plays, but later on the receiving corps had a few drops, especially Deontay Greenberry. Vaughn used his feet well to escape the pocket, and he made some decent throws, but then he also fell away from a few passes or got 'caught in the headlights' of the Chargers pass rush too.

I think Special Teams might be in for a tough week, they weren't exactly stellar. The Chargers had some good starting field position, and although Lucky Whitehead showed his potential, he also put the ball on the ground.

It knocked off a little rust anyway, on to San Francisco next, and hopefully an improved performance.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 14.08.2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 14.08.2015, 08:33 PM
All Pro

so who played on the o line? i gather Weems wasnt to impressive, the end of the day we went 0-4 last season so i,m not too down hearted, Gregory had a good game
Old 14.08.2015, 10:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
so who played on the o line? i gather Weems wasnt to impressive, the end of the day we went 0-4 last season so i,m not too down hearted, Gregory had a good game
Think it started off as Weems, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Wetzel. Collins saw a lot of action at LG, McDermott saw time at C, and Dill came in at RT. Dill didn't do too well, and Weems allowed a few moves to get inside, in fact they both did. Collins was ok, but far from polished, bar the odd highlight reel block.

Like you say it's Pre Season, Pre Season week 1 at that. All you want at this stage is everyone to emerge healthy, although I read Gus Johnson separated his shoulder (I must have missed that in the game) and will miss a few weeks. Not sure where that leaves us at RB..........................
Old 15.08.2015, 08:51 AM
All Pro

Yeah i heard something about that-all we need! dont think we have a fit back at the mo!! maybe get Showers to have a go, he seems able to do most things be interesting who takes the returns in the next game, maybe Lucky got a bit too cocky? maybe give Fortenberry a few snaps at RT see how he fairs?
Old 15.08.2015, 10:54 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Yeah i heard something about that-all we need! dont think we have a fit back at the mo!! maybe get Showers to have a go, he seems able to do most things be interesting who takes the returns in the next game, maybe Lucky got a bit too cocky? maybe give Fortenberry a few snaps at RT see how he fairs?
Didn't they release Fortenberry? I'm sure he got carted off the field injured a few weeks back, thought they released him not long after?

As for Lucky, you live and you learn. Best that he learns the tough lessons in pre season though.

I expect they'll make some roster moves this week, probably bring in a RB, and maybe RT, although they did add Cody Clay to the OL and I'm not sure if he saw any action against the Chargers.
Old 15.08.2015, 08:43 PM
All Pro

Sorry missed that one, he was showing promise as well we still have Green to have a go, and you get the impression they are sticking with with him
Old 15.08.2015, 08:56 PM
All Pro

Really hope Obada makes the practice squad, he has a raw talent which the coaching staff seem to recognise, but he has so little experience, i was thinking he could make a LB but with the 4-3 system he wouldnt fit in
Old 17.08.2015, 09:40 AM
Hall of Fame

I think they'll try to keep Obada around, even if it's just down to the London connection. He's undoubtedly got athletic talent, but so has the rest of the NFL. I'm always a little wary of the whole 'UK player makes NFL dream come true' thing. It makes such a great story that I think NFL teams love the PR side of it. Same happened with the 49ers and Lawrence Okoye.

That's not to say Obada can't make it due to his own talent and hard work, but when you have nothing to go on other then Training Camp reports things can get a little over hyped. Look at George Farmer, now he hasn't been hyped per se, but a few people really thought the Cowboys might have something with him (and they paid him 55k for the pleasure). Yet he's just been waived, and that has applied to other guys who have impressed from time to time in Camp or on tape.

In other news, you have to be a little concerned over Byron Jones' shoulder injury. Building up to, and during the Draft, people had concerns over his shoulder after he injured it in his Senior year. I tend to worry about shoulder injuries as it isn't always the most stable of joints, and the NFL isn't the place to be if you have multiple shoulder issues. I don't know the in's and out's of Jones' injury (history), and obviously rehab and strengthening could solve the problem, but like I said, this could become a regular occurrence. Fingers crossed it's a false alarm.
Old 17.08.2015, 09:11 PM
All Pro

Yeah what happened to Okoye? is he still with the 49ers? i remember him on sky sports being banded about as the next Brit player to make an impact-he def had the size and speed for a DE but then the coach (cant remember who) more or less dissd him saying he might make special teams. I just get the impression coaches/clubs dont really like foreigners coming into the game
Old 17.08.2015, 09:16 PM
All Pro

Just checked the roster and hes still listed