Draft 2017 - Page 46 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 28.04.2017, 07:30 AM
All Pro

I think the jets, bills and dolphins all had very good nights - especially buffalo.

49ers obviously dominated it - the only question with foster is that medical, he's going to be a great linebacker.

Bears got fleeced - but if Mitch turns out to be good it'll be fine (I don't think he will be)

I'm happy for browns fans that they didn't reach for a QB - but I'm also very meh on Peppers/Njoku when you had a chance at 12 to get someone like Malik Hooker (who is in a different stratosphere to peppers)

Also loved the Bucs pick of Howard and Washington getting Allen at 17. I think Cincinnati massively reached for Ross - let's put a fragile WR into the cold AFC North.......not good.

Indy and Arizona also got a lot better
Old 28.04.2017, 07:40 AM
All Pro

I managed to watch it/listen to it! Very exciting. I'll post my thoughts on the picks shortly.
Old 28.04.2017, 07:54 AM
All Pro

Didn't watch last night as have to work today. Just scanned through - interesting, for sure!

The main thing is that players who were widely reported as being "sure fire" top 10 picks - well, weren't.

Lattimore (11), Reddick who was supposed to be red hot was 13, Hooker (15), Allen (17), Howard (19). Even Charles Harris was supposed to be hot and top 15, but was 22. Njoku the third TE taken. So, overall this year, I would say the wider media was poor. Right through the process these guys have been trumpeted by most as top 10 picks.

Specifically on players/fits/value.

The Bears have attacked the QB position - has to be the way forward surely? If you don't have a QB you aren't winning. There was a cost to move up, well played by the 49ers, but you can't slate the Bears either. Assuming the 49ers are all in on Kirk Cousins next year, although perhaps a Nate Peterman on day two?

Corey Davis was falling out of the first round this week - another one wrong. Mike Williams wasn't this high in the post-season process - another one wrong.

Man, the Bengals better hope their doctors got John Ross right. I wouldn't take a slot receiver here even if 100% healthy. Value wise not great for me.

Mahomes and Watson - well, see Bears. The Chiefs thinking ahead so they aren't the Texans in two years time.

The Raiders had better be sure Conley won't get charged. Gamble.

T.J. Watt - I didn't see it on tape - obviously the Combine numbers say big time upside - but that's the pick I like the least in terms of the player. On tape alone, he wasn't in my top 100. Watch his reps against Taylor Moton in the Western Michigan game - he got nothing. Better players than Moton are waiting for him.

Scanning NFL.com, there seems surprise Kizer is still there. I wouldn't be shocked if he was still available at this time tomorrow. QB is about intangibles, and I believe there are major questions. Thought someone would gamble on Cam Robinson - inconsistent, yes, but I thought some teams would have seen a starting LT. Thought Jordan Willis would sneak into late one as well.

Also looks like the Forrest Lamp love wasn't real.
Old 28.04.2017, 08:24 AM
All Pro

Worth staying up for, very interesting first round...

Big winners are the 9ers IMO, an extra pick and two top 10 calibre players on defense, very smart by John Lynch. They're not winning this year so patience is key and they've done it very well.

Browns could've been the same story even with the trade back into 27, but I don't think Peppers is suited to them, too raw and I think the pick could've been justified if it was a team like the Pats or the Steelers, who I think could develop him, but I don't think Cleveland is that place. No doubt they picked Njoku for 2/3 years down the line, but he's going to struggle to develop with no-one to throw the ball at him, but if they get their guy next year rather than the year after then it could work.

Best individual value pick has to be Howard to the Bucs, man that offense looks scary, definite contender.

Other significant nods of approval to the Jets, the Saints for Lattimore and the Colts, although they were pretty much all no brainers with the way the board fell. Buffalo with a solid pick and a good haul from KC, well done.

The Bears easily get the biggest LOL of the night, and as an NFC North side I treble that laugh as well Thank you Chicago.

Feel like the Titans hit the right positions but picked in the wrong order and so subsequently got the wrong players. As they did, I'll give them Jackson as Humphrey had just come off and there's a bit of a gap after that, but I think White and King are better, Jackson looks a bit like the Cordarelle Patterson pick we made a few years ago to me, high risk high reward though. Prefer Williams to Davis, but definitely Davis over Ross, however Ross does have a better chance of succeeding in Cincinnati with Green on the other side than he would've done as the #1 in Tennessee, so some slack for the Bengals.

Oakland better have some damn good info, for obvious reasons this is the biggest boom or bust pick in this draft, despite all the QB madness.

Shrugs of the shoulders also to Denver (prefer Robinson), the Giants (completely unnecessary), and Kansas City. I will give Houston the benefit of the doubt now because of Watson's ability to win, rather than because I believe in his talent.

As for the Vikings, it's fallen very well for us, there's still a lot of good players there who could've gone round 1, both who are in positions of need for us and in positions that aren't (so someone else is likely to take them keeping our guys on the board closer to 48). We should be able to get a solid starter at #48, or at least not have to move up too far to get one. If any of Lamp, Robinson, McDowell or Cunningham get near us, I'll be delighted.

Bring on day 2!

Last edited by CUFC_Viking; 28.04.2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 28.04.2017, 08:25 AM
All Pro

Dalvin Cook will be gone quickly looking at who people rank as the best players still available.

Let it be the eagles!.
Old 28.04.2017, 08:29 AM
All Pro

Pretty pleased with the Saints picks.
CB an obvious need and Lattimore looked
well out of reach 24 hours ago.

The big tackle was OK too. Good run blocker
by all accounts, and will help protect what's left of Brees, and his heir. We've got some young pieces on our O line with Peat and Armstead.

Hopefully there's a decent DE/LB available at 42.
Old 28.04.2017, 08:32 AM
MVP

Ended up falling asleep and missing the last 10 picks or so >.>

Catching up with those right now, still not 100% sold on Ross so high for us, the potential is there as a game breaker, of course he helps take defenders away from AJ when he's on the field too, but with all his injury issues, the fact Dalton hasn't really got a deep ball kind of arm to fully maximize Ross' potential as a deep speedster, but the speed and separation will also help the quick release shorter stuff Dalton loves. I'm both worried and excited at the same time which is quite a strange feeling.

The more it settles the more i'm getting excited by him.

Either way welcome to the Bengals Ross, please stay healthy.

Last edited by Dragonic; 28.04.2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 28.04.2017, 08:46 AM
Pro Bowler

Chuffed with day one.

Congrats to those that stayed up!
Old 28.04.2017, 09:08 AM
Hall of Fame

Rapoport reports plenty of interest in #33 (as always). The Packers might be able to add a few more valuable picks at that spot.
Old 28.04.2017, 09:14 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Didn't watch last night as have to work today. Just scanned through - interesting, for sure!

The main thing is that players who were widely reported as being "sure fire" top 10 picks - well, weren't.

Lattimore (11), Reddick who was supposed to be red hot was 13, Hooker (15), Allen (17), Howard (19). Even Charles Harris was supposed to be hot and top 15, but was 22. Njoku the third TE taken. So, overall this year, I would say the wider media was poor. Right through the process these guys have been trumpeted by most as top 10 picks.

Specifically on players/fits/value.

The Bears have attacked the QB position - has to be the way forward surely? If you don't have a QB you aren't winning. There was a cost to move up, well played by the 49ers, but you can't slate the Bears either. Assuming the 49ers are all in on Kirk Cousins next year, although perhaps a Nate Peterman on day two?

Corey Davis was falling out of the first round this week - another one wrong. Mike Williams wasn't this high in the post-season process - another one wrong.

Man, the Bengals better hope their doctors got John Ross right. I wouldn't take a slot receiver here even if 100% healthy. Value wise not great for me.

Mahomes and Watson - well, see Bears. The Chiefs thinking ahead so they aren't the Texans in two years time.

The Raiders had better be sure Conley won't get charged. Gamble.

T.J. Watt - I didn't see it on tape - obviously the Combine numbers say big time upside - but that's the pick I like the least in terms of the player. On tape alone, he wasn't in my top 100. Watch his reps against Taylor Moton in the Western Michigan game - he got nothing. Better players than Moton are waiting for him.

Scanning NFL.com, there seems surprise Kizer is still there. I wouldn't be shocked if he was still available at this time tomorrow. QB is about intangibles, and I believe there are major questions. Thought someone would gamble on Cam Robinson - inconsistent, yes, but I thought some teams would have seen a starting LT. Thought Jordan Willis would sneak into late one as well.

Also looks like the Forrest Lamp love wasn't real.
After reading all the derisory comments about the Bears and disagreeing with them, I'm pleased to read this post which echoed my view on it, only so long you can tread water at some point you swim for the shore....or drown.

It came at a price, well it would needed to have as reports are about that the Browns actually knocked the Bears door about trading up with them, which prompted the move on SF. The future wasn't mortgaged though

Not a strong class for QB's but zero risk will almost certainly return the same amount of reward.

Needed those picks for sure, but with a high 2nd now, maybe that's ammo to move back and gain a 3rd.