NBA Thread - Page 200 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 22.07.2010, 10:56 PM
Pro Bowler

Changing gears because I'm SICK of talking about LeBron....

FIBA is putting to gether a World Club Championship starting this year, in October. The NBA champion won't be invited this year but WILL be invited starting next year.

The NBA used to participate in a smaller club world championship during the late 80's and the 90's. Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and Magic Johnson all received MVPs of the tournament.

The old tournament saw random NBA teams show up. This new tournament would feature the NBA Champion. Seems pretty steep.

Do you think the NBA will actually send their champ to this new tournament?

Quote:
GENEVA -- A world championship for basketball clubs will be launched in 2010.

World governing body FIBA said Monday that its first annual club championship will be played in October 2010, with $1 million offered to the winner.

The inaugural tournament will feature eight teams, comprising the five FIBA continental champions -- from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania -- the runner-up from the Americas and Europe plus a team invited by the host city.

It will not include an NBA team.

"There have been some talks with the NBA," FIBA spokesman Marcos Beltra said. "We will organize the first World Club Championship and then study the situation and in the second one invite the NBA champion."

The Chinese cities of Chengdu and Nanjing have offered to host the five-day, 10-game tournament.

Beltra said the tournament revives the global club format which lapsed when the McDonald's Championship ended after nine editions from 1987-99. That tournament pitted the continental champions against each other and an invited NBA team.

Nine different NBA teams each won the McDonald's title once. Tournament MVPs included NBA stars Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan.
So this year is the test run, next year it hopefully goes live...

I'm interested.
Old 23.07.2010, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXG View Post
Changing gears because I'm SICK of talking about LeBron....

FIBA is putting to gether a World Club Championship starting this year, in October. The NBA champion won't be invited this year but WILL be invited starting next year.

The NBA used to participate in a smaller club world championship during the late 80's and the 90's. Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and Magic Johnson all received MVPs of the tournament.

The old tournament saw random NBA teams show up. This new tournament would feature the NBA Champion. Seems pretty steep.

Do you think the NBA will actually send their champ to this new tournament?

So this year is the test run, next year it hopefully goes live...

I'm interested.
They did in 1995 when the Houston Rockets played in the McDonalds Championships in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Mc...s_Championship

And again in 1997 in Paris when the Chicago Bulls beat Olympiakos and 1999 when San Antonio won the tournament. The first five tournaments were random NBA teams. The last 3 had the defending NBA Champions.
Old 29.07.2010, 02:49 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
They did in 1995 when the Houston Rockets played in the McDonalds Championships in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Mc...s_Championship

And again in 1997 in Paris when the Chicago Bulls beat Olympiakos and 1999 when San Antonio won the tournament. The first five tournaments were random NBA teams. The last 3 had the defending NBA Champions.
Wow...did not know this.

It'd be cool to see Miami or LA play in that...or dare I say, the Knicks (with Amare, Carmelo and CP3 -- hey i can dream)?!
Old 29.07.2010, 08:32 PM
Hall of Fame

RIP

Hopefully Monie wont derail this tribute post as well.

I remember when the Clippers took this guy, I am not a Clippers fan, But I was living in LA at the time, and the whole City was excited, as he was a great talent. Shame its ended like this.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (CBS/WREG/AP) Memphis police say they are investigating the discovery of a body believed to be that of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright as a homicide.

Although police have not yet confirmed the identity of the body, relatives of Wright have told the Associated Press that the remains found in a wooded area in southeast Memphis are his.

The 34-year-old Memphis native disappeared July 19, and was reported missing by his family on July 22.
Prior to the discovery of the body, police had said they didn't suspect foul play
However, in a statement obtained by CBS affiliate WREG, the Memphis Police Department state it has "some of the finest homicide investigators" working on the case and will release further details when "available and appropriate."
Wright's sister, Adriane Harris, told The Memphis Commercial Appeal that Wright had been out of touch before, but "not to this extent."
Old 31.07.2010, 11:01 PM
All Pro

Who do people think will win the FIBA World Basketball Championships or whatever its official name is? On paper the USA should win easily but they seem to struggle at international level, despite having the best players in the best league. They are going small this year with Durant as the main superstar, could work although it will be tougher to get into the lane with small players and the FIBA rules.

Thoughts?
Old 01.08.2010, 12:54 AM
Pro Bowler

I think its Spain.

It means more to them and the only guy missing from their Olympics team, that pushed the Redeem team pretty hard, is Pau Gasol.

A big absence but the rest of the team is still pretty damn good.

Argentina should be good as well.
Old 01.08.2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know if the World Championships are being shown on TV?
Old 03.08.2010, 06:04 PM
MVP

Can't wait for the season to start even if the race for the western title should be all about the Lakers.

What is looking nice is Utah Basketball for 2010 Al Jefferson is a really nice pickup from the T-Wolves ( thank you David Khan ). A healthy dominating powerforward will thrive with Williams at his prime. With some nice role players coming in this could should be a contender. Boozer is going to do well with the Bull him and Rose as a combination are going to do some damage and Utah have a quality replacent.
Old 03.08.2010, 07:42 PM
All Pro

The NBA Off-season is so much shorter than the NFL off-season. Which is a good thing.

I used to support the Cleveland Cavaliers because of LeBron James, so I am wondering whether I should support the Heat now, continue with the Cavs or just watch the NBA as a neutral until I find another team I can support.
Old 09.08.2010, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

The NBA have just announced that the Nets and Raptors will play two regular season games in London this season - in March at the O2 Arena.