its an insult but what does it mean...? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Old 16.01.2010, 11:23 PM
ShaneConvey

Default its an insult but what does it mean...?

Hi all,

Please forgive my ignorance, but I was watching NFLUK last weekend (ravens@Patriots game) and heard a reference to us Patriot Fans as ''The Prawn Sandwich Brigade''....? Now firstly I was confussed and given the tone i assumed it was an insult, however, i have no idea what this means or the reason for it.

I have just started to follow NFL this season and would love for someone to enlighten me please....

Thanks

Shane
Old 17.01.2010, 12:16 AM
Hall of Fame

Eugh.

It refers to the corporate types who get free tickets to games, go only for the free food (generally prawn mayo butties), and leave at half-time/before the end because they don't understand/like the game. It's what a lot of Pats fans get called, as we're all assumed to be gloryhunting. Don't you know it's not allowed to support a successful team?

Welcome to the brotherhood! It's a great game and you chose the right team!
Old 17.01.2010, 12:39 AM
ShaneConvey

thanks for clearing that up for me. I feel a bit better now that I understand it - Even though its obviously a stupid comment to make, especially by an NFLUK presenter.

I agree, I did choose the right team. I have only watched this season, went to Wembley and a viewed a couple of superbowl games and i love the Pats.

Cheers

Shane
Old 17.01.2010, 01:12 AM
Hall of Fame

If you liked us this season, playing terribly, you should eBay the 2007 season on DVD. It'll bring tears to your eyes. Best season of any team ever.

Many presenters are gash. Was it by any chance Nick Halling the Steeler homer?
Old 17.01.2010, 01:15 AM
Hall of Fame

It is Hallings phrase but as Bruschi pointed out last week, it isn't really a direct comparison.

The original Prawn Sandwich phrase was coined by Roy Keane when he took a pop at the corporate types at Old Trafford, as you reference above.

Hallings definition is of bandwagon fans. I suppose there is some connection (people doing something for the wrong reasons?) but it isn't really an apt connection. And Halling thinks it's funny still, even after all these years.

Newsflash: It isn't.
Old 17.01.2010, 01:38 AM
All Pro

I have to admit, this usage of that phrase kind of baffles me. Apart from, maybe, Oakland and Philly fans, it's hard to imagine a less 'prawn-sandwich' mentality than Pats followers!
Old 17.01.2010, 12:28 PM
Starter

i personally detest this comment and especially halling who keeps banging on about pats fans being of the prawn sandwich variety its a complete insult to us fans who im sure like alot of you started following the pats in the early 80s on 4,and so what if people just starting to watch the nfl and choose to follow the pats freedom of choice i think its called ( and you make the correct choice)but then doesnt that make sir halling (sarcasm) the biggest band wagon jumper following the steelers when if you work out the age he probably started following them in the 70s when they dominated so sir halling keep your smug and unfunny opinions to yourself
Old 17.01.2010, 04:05 PM
Starter

I think it was used to point out the appalling behavior of some of the New England Fans in the matchup against the Ravens. 'Fair weather supporter' is perhaps the better phrase. Great support in the good times, then don't even bother to turn up for a playoff game as they expect to lose; and those that do turn up boo their team and leave well before the end. I'm not saying it's true of all Pats fans, but surely you've got to admit it was a very poor display of 'support', at a time when the team and players probably needed it most. Wembley gave the Pats greater support than the fans did during the Ravens game. It's not only the annoying Mr Halling saying it this time, US commentators have said much the same thing.
Old 17.01.2010, 06:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFireBlade View Post
If you liked us this season, playing terribly, you should eBay the 2007 season on DVD. It'll bring tears to your eyes. Best season of any team ever.

Many presenters are gash. Was it by any chance Nick Halling the Steeler homer?
Just make sure you turn it off when there is a minute left in the SB
Old 19.01.2010, 04:45 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
Just make sure you turn it off when there is a minute left in the SB
.......or it really will bring tears to your eyes.